Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 111 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by imdag2 erm how does the fiber optic enabled cabinets work? i have a cabinet at either end ...

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by imdag2 View Post
      erm how does the fiber optic enabled cabinets work?

i have a cabinet at either end of my road, from what i can tell i am connected to the one at the end of the road which is connect to the main road.

however about 20meters (maybe less) from my cabinet is another cabinet as well as the large fiber enabled cabinets with the air vents etc.

will the fiber cabinet connect to the one i am on as well or will bt install a separate fiber cabinet for my road?

the reason i ask this is because my exchange goes live in march,
      and when i type my phone number on samknows and bt wholesale it says my phone line is able to handle fiber from 31st march 2012
      not sure about if each standard cab needs its own fibre cab, but if the speed checker is saying 31st march then things are looking good.

one thing i will question tho is your speedtest.net results in your sig 83.67Mb/s!!!!!!!!
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

2. Advertisement
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      not sure about if each standard cab needs its own fibre cab, but if the speed checker is saying 31st march then things are looking good.

one thing i will question tho is your speedtest.net results in your sig 83.67Mb/s!!!!!!!!

from what I understand it is possible for one fibre cabinet to service more than one normal cabinet depending on the distance
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Once the cabinet has been enabled, you will be able to order a Fibre product such as SBUF, which launches in April.

Essentially your existing telephone line will not be touched for voice calls.

From what I understand, a connection will be made between the Fibre cabinet and your old green street cabinet and an FTTC connection will be made to your line there.

Within your home a new vDSL compatible filtered faceplate will be fitted to the Master Socket. The BTO Modem will connect to that and your new Sky Cable router (Sagem 2504n with a new firmware) connects to the BTO Modem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

-1 day to go until Andrewjr gets his sky Unlimited Fibre. It will be interesting to see how things go with the intial install and connection, what speeds his line can take over what is given and how stable his connection will be.

For those of us with a slow connection I think we should make April 1st, Give a fibre cabinet a hug day....
      Stumpy and Moxey like this.

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

oooohhhhh fiber boxes are on the way
      had half an hour to kill this morning while my son was having his physio at the hospital so i went on a drive around looking for boxes, theres 3 exchanges in my town and seems the fiber cabs have all been fitted for the 1 exchange that is dated for March and work is underway wiring them up.
      Also saw a box being fitted that is on the 2nd exchange and that exchaneg only has 21 boxes listed for deployment so hopefully in next week or 2 they should be starting to fit the boxes for my exchange.

Excitement levels are def increasing
      Ipster likes this.

imdag2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNUPK
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post

although i had a look outside this morning and it looks like there are about 3 other standard cabinets in around the same range as my own, so about 5 cabs within 50m radius, so im guessing its a first come first server if that's the only cab being installed. although a few roads down both east and west of my home there are 2 other cabs about 100m walking distance each

Edit: although one of the cabinets is connected to quite a large group of flats, which may be worrying

oh and the sig, its been mentioned b4, never trust speed test sites(full stop)

i continued the speed test and it was going up to 150-200mb/s and we all know that's not possible as of yet via copper phone lines

FTTC Connection: download:40,000. upload:10,000. 5ms ping
      ADSL Speed:
      Connection Speed 18013 kbps 1087 kbps 16db 7db attenuation7db 7db noise
      Download: 15351 Kbit/s
      Upload : 957 kbit/s
      Connects : 2891 conn/min Ping: 19 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      oooohhhhh fiber boxes are on the way
      had half an hour to kill this morning while my son was having his physio at the hospital so i went on a drive around looking for boxes, theres 3 exchanges in my town and seems the fiber cabs have all been fitted for the 1 exchange that is dated for March and work is underway wiring them up.
      Also saw a box being fitted that is on the 2nd exchange and that exchaneg only has 21 boxes listed for deployment so hopefully in next week or 2 they should be starting to fit the boxes for my exchange.

Excitement levels are def increasing
      Lol... My dog has never had so many long walks..... he looks for squirrels and I look for fibre cabinets
      Ipswich is now full swing with cabinets suddenly appearing in random places rather than populated areas. I am sure the openreach guys will think I am stalking them. Several more cabinets around my area have now had spray indicating the intended arrival of the nice green box!

We need someone to create a google map so that we can drop pins where we spot fibre cabinets....

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post

We need someone to create a google map so that we can drop pins where we spot fibre cabinets....
      Cracking idea

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have found maps on google with PCP cabinets marked... but it seems to upset google maps after 200 pins

Carlow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Lol... My dog has never had so many long walks..... he looks for squirrels and I look for fibre cabinets
      Ipswich is now full swing with cabinets suddenly appearing in random places rather than populated areas. I am sure the openreach guys will think I am stalking them. Several more cabinets around my area have now had spray indicating the intended arrival of the nice green box!

push them woodbridge road way when they are done, specifically foxhall cabinet 39 ktnx

glad to see they are picking up speed, maybe june due date won't be to far out

Page 16 of 111 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast