Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

do you need sky talk to get 20 Pm?

This is a discussion on do you need sky talk to get 20 Pm? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme I don't see why. NR explained it fully I think.... You can't under any circumstances get ...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: do you need sky talk to get 20 Pm?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't see why. NR explained it fully
      I think....

You can't under any circumstances get TV and broadband for 15 so I assume the reference was for broadband only. This means the user is being overcharged and has been since the broadband conditions were changed. The costs for Unlimited were reduced some months ago.
      There are actually 2 instances where someone can be charged 15 for Unlimited.

1) They had Unlimited before the price change, but did not accept the terms of the price change i.e. agreeing to a further 12 month contract, and therefore continue to pay the higher price
      2) Joined after the price change, or agreed to the terms and signed up for another 12 months.

Existing customers only received the new, lower price for Unlimited if they agreed to another 12 months on the service. This was explained at the time of the price change, and every customer was theoretically made aware of this. A few filter through every so often that complain they are still being charged the higher price, but it is perfectly legit.

2. Advertisement
      Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, couple cups of coffee and some jumpleads to the ears and my brains workign again, i get ya now
      when you mentioned he should be paying 12.50 i was thinking you were making some reference to his question about the fiber cost not what he should be paying now for BBU instead of 15.00
      when thinking of the now BBU prices i had the 7.50 with tv or the 10 without tv in my head but ofcause they are now both with talk as standard, i wasent thinking of ppl who already had broadband but hadent been made to take up a line rental which you mean should be charged at 12.50 then, didnt know this as i took up the line rental when it became avail

anyway if you now get charged an extra 5 on the bb price for not taking talk with sky then i dont see alot of reason not to do so as the extra 5 your paying could cover the talk unlimited and the line rental you will be paying to somewhere anyway prob with a call plan too, ive had sky's phone line for ages now and have never found a reason not to be happy with it tbf

When i thought sky fiber wasent gonna come for a while i seriously considered taking out a 12m virgin broadband contract without phone and would have still kept sky talk as after spending alot of time comparing the relevant tarrif pdf's the majority of costs were cheaper with sky, a bit of nip n tuck here n there but i concluded that i was still better off staying with sky talk for the phone service.

my only bug bear with talk atm is that they dont inc 0845 in the free calls where bt and vm do but unless you make alot of 0845 calls i think its negated by other savings, i checked thru my bill history and personally never had more than a few quid in NGN numbers and alot of that was 08444 not 0845 anyway, so each to their own i guess but for me its sky talk all the way and no regrets.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The way I read it is that Sky introduced a new policy last September for all new Broadband contracts. This means that any new Broadband customers have to take Sky Talk as well.

This means that Sky BB Unlimited Fibre will cost 20 per month, and Sky Talk a further 12.50 per month.

As the do now for the copper lines only, BTO will manage the copper, fibre optic cables and FTTC equipment between your home and the telephone exchange on Sky's behalf.

Once your connection is in the telephone exchange, it will be passed to the Sky LLU equipment and from there travel on Sky's Backhaul to the Sky servers.

Remember that this announcement only mentioned plans for exchanges with Sky's equipment, leaving those who are stuck with Sky Connect living without any Sky Fibre offering for the present time.

Edit: I see Mystic Eddy has said much the same.
      Great minds and all that!
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I agree about the 0845 numbers, there are more on more local services like doctors and councils using them.

Talk rental is even better value if you pay 12 months in advance. It works out at under 120 for the year which is cheaper than any other supplier I have heard of.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

iKennett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
      You'll be connected up to Openreach kit and won't be using a rebadged BT product! This is because where Sky has an LLU presence in an exchange and is also FTTC enabled, they will (in simple terms) take a feed from the fibre from the cabinet coming into the exchange and hook up to their equipment, allowing them to utilise their own backhaul network. While this is not the equivalent of full fibre LLU, it goes a majority of the way to satisfy most providers without having to install their own cabinets etc. With the lines being connected to Sky's network still, they can stipulate the Sky Talk requirement.
      So to summarise: Normal copper cable to FTTC cab > Openreach fibre to the exchange > Connection from OR fibre to Sky ISAM > Onto Sky's backhaul.
      Also worth noting that the copper cable from your home still goes all the way back to the exchange for voice only. Current FTTC doesn't support voice so you almost have two virtual lines (one for voice and one for VDSL) which is bundled together as a single copper cable at your home.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by iKennett View Post
      Also worth noting that the copper cable from your home still goes all the way back to the exchange for voice only. Current FTTC doesn't support voice so you almost have two virtual lines (one for voice and one for VDSL) which is bundled together as a single copper cable at your home.
      Indeed. I saw no need to mention it because the end user wouldn't notice such a thing; it'd still work as it has always done.
      Although I wonder how voice/data splits will work for exchanges like mine where the FTTC is fed from a larger exchange? There's still LLU kit in it so guess it can be hooked into the local exchange there with the line effectively being duplicated for FTTC at the larger exchange.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
      You'll be connected up to Openreach kit and won't be using a rebadged BT product! This is because where Sky has an LLU presence in an exchange and is also FTTC enabled, they will (in simple terms) take a feed from the fibre from the cabinet coming into the exchange and hook up to their equipment, allowing them to utilise their own backhaul network. While this is not the equivalent of full fibre LLU, it goes a majority of the way to satisfy most providers without having to install their own cabinets etc. With the lines being connected to Sky's network still, they can stipulate the Sky Talk requirement.
      So to summarise: Normal copper cable to FTTC cab > Openreach fibre to the exchange > Connection from OR fibre to Sky ISAM > Onto Sky's backhaul.
      Cheers for that! that makes alot of sense I guess thinking about it that is pretty much the same as things are now, all the kit between house and exchange belongs to Open Reach.

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

surely this means the speed will be slowed down once the signal from fiber hits the copper cable?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The only copper cable is between your house and the fibre cabinet. So the speed you will get depends on how far you are from the cabinet. Sky's back haul is all fibre and has recently been upgraded to handle the expected increase in traffic.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

FTTC works this way and the new speed increase that will be rolled out by BTO around Easter, will increase it to an "up to" 80Mb/s service.

FTTP (aka FTTH) uses Fibre optic cable all the way from the telephone exchange to your home. This could easily support speeds up to 1Gbit/s.

Some areas across the country are already using FTTP, but the main current roll out is FTTC by BTO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast