Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

What does the 50 charge cover?

This is a discussion on What does the 50 charge cover? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme I thought this was also free? If its not, its a bit naughty of Sky to ...

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What does the 50 charge cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I thought this was also free? If its not, its a bit naughty of Sky to tie you to a router you have to pay for initially.

I know a replacement N router costs you 35, but surely not when you are taking a new service?
      It's not technically 'free'.

Basically, the way the Fibre Rep put it to me, was that on paper, there is a 50 installation/activation charge to cover the BTO engineer visit/face plate installation/exchange cabinet work. There is also a 35 charge for the new Fibre router.

However, because we are 'Trialing' a product, these upfront costs would be waived.

That's not to say, that when Sky finally rollout Fibre to the masses, that these charges will also be dropped. It's such a new product that nothing is set in stone. I'm sure when Fibre goes on general sale, IMO Sky will ammend this pricing structure and bring themselves in line with BT (Basically, gratis).

One thing I will add is that prior to my Fibre Trial order, I was out of contract with Sky. Sky insisted that I sign up another 12 month term on my BB. This could also have some bearing on the router costs being waived, for me anyway.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Meh, I'll show them waive when I tell them that BT Infinity will be where I go for the next 12 months - they'll happily waive 35 then

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It's not technically 'free'.
      The BT Home Hub comes with free the Infinity package, if Sky are going to charge 35 for their inferior router and tie you to using it, I think they will loose a lot of business. The unlimited downloads will be the only thing going for it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The BT Home Hub comes with free the Infinity package, if Sky are going to charge 35 for their inferior router and tie you to using it, I think they will loose a lot of business. The unlimited downloads will be the only thing going for it.
      Indeed. But like i said before, these are just prices being quoted to people taking part of the trial, which have all been waived thus far.

There has been no official announcement about pricing for Fibre at launch, quite simply as they're still trialling it.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tbh sky have a habit of chancing their arm, they ring us every now and then about insurance for sky boxes, we had taken it before but cancelled as it was a waste of money. Simple thing to do is threaten to cancel your sub and they cant bend over quick enough to fix your box or replace it so why waste the extra money for nothing. At the end of the day it's worth their while keeping you happy as they supply a paid for service on top of the actual box, the loss of 100pm for a one off cost of 50 - 100 is just bad business so they will offer you a deal.

Same with the fibre I think, all you have to do is note that their competitors are offering free installation, half price for the first 3 months and 5x the upload speed, even if they do charge 5pm extra for the rest of the contract it still works out cheaper. Sure the most of us wouldnt touch BT with a barge pole, but the sales rep doesnt know that.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      Sure the most of us wouldnt touch BT with a barge pole, but the sales rep doesnt know that.
      He does now
      fazedup likes this.

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      This is something that annoys me with Sky. They never seem to have a specific offer or price, but seem to pick and choose who to give them to. A friend of mine recently rang them because her broadband router died, and they insisted she pay for a new one - this was over the course of several telephone conversations, with different people including the retentions team. Yet two days later when she rang again the lady she spoke to was rather surprised she hadn't been offered a free replacement and had no qualms about sending one out free of charge. If some CS people are able and willing to do that, why isn't it a simple Sky policy - why annoy or chase away some customers, and yet for others they will offer all sorts with no prompting. ...
      I know that irks me too with Sky regarding 'offers'. The first thing you are asked regarding offers if you phone is to tell you that "...you can login and check what offers are available online..." which are usually not great typically 5 off sport/movies for a month as an example. You then go through the check to ask what BB provider and phone package you have and what you watch... <yawn> and sometimes get lucky and they produce an offer that isn't publicised like free phone rental and sky unlimited BB (not fibre) for a year! So much for 'checking online...' They tend to offer better deals for new customers but in doing so alienate long-standing customers.

Tbh sky have a habit of chancing their arm, they ring us every now and then about insurance for sky boxes, we had taken it before but cancelled as it was a waste of money. Simple thing to do is threaten to cancel your sub and they cant bend over quick enough to fix your box or replace it so why waste the extra money for nothing. At the end of the day it's worth their while keeping you happy as they supply a paid for service on top of the actual box, the loss of 100pm for a one off cost of 50 - 100 is just bad business so they will offer you a deal.

Same with the fibre I think, all you have to do is note that their competitors are offering free installation, half price for the first 3 months and 5x the upload speed, even if they do charge 5pm extra for the rest of the contract it still works out cheaper. Sure the most of us wouldnt touch BT with a barge pole, but the sales rep doesnt know that.
      If you do go through the 'I want to cancel' route you should be prepared to follow it through though as some have reported the operator has said fine and cancelled it! I took the Sky Protect for a year but Sky halved my multiroom to 5 for a year to reduce the cost to 3.25/mth in effect for Sky Protect. As I had already had the 'free' callout in the year I opted for this for a new Sky+ box that was faulty but some remotes went too and they were covered also. Did cancel though as the renewal was higher than last time even though the website stated a lower price. Read that someone asked for a new price for renewal after, like me, they received a 9.50/mth bill and were offered the year for 94 instead (they still refused though).

They should really offer a free router even after the trial and can see this being the norm. Doubt the install fee would be waived after the trial though but you always have the ability to haggle.

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geezerone View Post
      If you do go through the 'I want to cancel' route you should be prepared to follow it through though as some have reported the operator has said fine and cancelled it!
      I was prepared to cancel, my Sky HD box had died so my tv was unwatchable, I wasn't gonna pay an extra 150 or whatever it was for a new box to watch my full sky package that was already costing a fortune. They offer free boxes to new customers so the way i see it the least they could do was replace mine as they had a guaranteed continuation of a full package subscription and a broadband connection. I was more than happy to goto Virgin or BT and had priced it at the time.

Tbh, if sky can't better BT's fibre then i'm happy to switch to them tbh, I don't like being throttled or caps but I don't see me butting up against it any time soon and it's still an upgrade. I would prefer to stay with sky and not worry about anything but they aren't gonna succeed by trying to rob me.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I was prepared to cancel, my Sky HD box had died so my tv was unwatchable, I wasn't gonna pay an extra 150 or whatever it was for a new box to watch my full sky package that was already costing a fortune. They offer free boxes to new customers so the way i see it the least they could do was replace mine as they had a guaranteed continuation of a full package subscription and a broadband connection. I was more than happy to goto Virgin or BT and had priced it at the time.

Tbh, if sky can't better BT's fibre then i'm happy to switch to them tbh, I don't like being throttled or caps but I don't see me butting up against it any time soon and it's still an upgrade. I would prefer to stay with sky and not worry about anything but they aren't gonna succeed by trying to rob me.
      To be honest, I think the set up cost and router will be a main consideration for some but not all. I paid 35 for the new wireless N router when it came out and it is better for wifi but has real issues with holding a connection. Whilst I think unlimited fibre is great, its only as good as the equipment we use... I don't mind paying for a router of a good or higher standard such as gig ports and USB. I really do get the feeling that sky are being half-hearted about fibre. First with it's "limited number of people wanting it" to lack of staff even knowing they are launching it. That said I will wait and see what the final offering will be before I make my choice of fibre provider (and also if we can work around having to use sky equipment)

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Upgrading is easy downgrading much harder
      fazedup likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast