Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

What does the 50 charge cover?

This is a discussion on What does the 50 charge cover? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by fazedup I guess there are 2 schools of thought here. Personally, I think it's an absolute steal ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: What does the 50 charge cover?

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      I guess there are 2 schools of thought here.

Personally, I think it's an absolute steal at that price, many of my peers would agree too.

However, I can see why Sky may have questioned the viability of Fibre.
      IMO, The actual percentage of Sky BB customers who are diehards and demand nothing less than the absolute maximum speeds possible, or for whatever reason, need an extremely fast connection, is pretty small. I'd take a guess at 15-20% of their customer base, max.

The vast majority of users don't actually 'need' a 40meg connection, and I would suspect are quite happy with paying 7.50 a month, or indeed free, in some cases. This in itself is an unbelievably good deal.

So, I can kind of see why Sky may have thought it would be difficult to sell in great quantity, a 20 pm product to customers who are happy to pay 7.50 for a service that already suits them.
      My line speed on ADSL is capped at 4.1Mbps down and at peak times there can be four or more laptops and other devices online simultaneously using the internet - streaming, downloading, surfing etc. Sometime the strain is almost visible!

If my line speed on ADSL was something more decent, say 12Mbps or higher, I'd be quite happy to stay on ADSL and continue to pay 7.50 per month. That price for 50% or more of the theoretical maximum for ADSL is a bargain! But, for us, 20 for a relatively massive speed increase, is also a bargain.

Fibre has been available on my line for almost a year now. I've resisted jumping ship - mainly because pricing was too high at first, but also I was waiting for Sky to join the game. Now SBUF can't come to me too soon!

The suits may not be convinced that people need it, but there will be a segment of the market that will buy it. That will be people who get poor ADSL speed but are willing and able to pay a bit more for a decent speed uplift. Fibre broadband pricing is coming down to the sort of level that ADSL pricing was at about 10 years ago - I think people said back then that "Broadband" wouldn't take off and would only appeal to the diehard users. And look at where we are now...
      Stumpy likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was on the verge of signing up to Virgin as my mate is an installer an gets firends and family discount. After i completed my fibre enquiry not long after joining sky and talking to the road crew installing sky's fttp trial in south harrow i was getting itchy feet. When sky called i actually said this.(wonders how many others where feeling the same).

Now i have signed up to the trial and eagerly await the 29/2 as thats my install date. As with the latest call of duty game we can claim some sort of founder status with the fibre product. The communication from sky has been first class and i was happy on the phone to be told that my line will be 40meg 3x what i currently have so i was suprised to recieve a letter telling me that my line will handle 70-40 meg. I expect sky are doing 'beta testing' and need real life traffic to ensure stability before tjlhe official launch.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I can understand the gradual introduction.

Sky needs to proof that the systems that they have invested in work.

After the obvious issues with the backhaul at the beginning of last year, anyone who were to ignore the effect that had on their customers would become a sacrificial lamb. The same could be said for the Sky router after the issues over the Sagem 2304n.

It is very well for staff to have been testing Fibre connections for the past couple of years, but now Sky are rolling it out to the masses. Every part of the connection from our homes, through the exchange, along Sky's backhaul, through their servers and on through to their trunking to the Internet, will be gradually placed under even more stress.

I would hope that someone would be looking at various stress points and monitoring any increase in traffic.

As for whether or not people would be interested in the potential speeds offered, please consider for a moment an article that wast cross-posted on this forum a little while ago. The rate at which we are all using the Internet is growing hugely every year.

There are also many remote areas in the UK who have still to gain access to a sensible connection speed. The whole idea of BDUK is to raise the stakes so that everyone has access to these higher speeds if they want it. I can see the next step being the migration away from copper cables beginning some time around 2025-2030.

It isn't just how many people are connected, but also how much the traffic produced by each individual has increased. Last year an article suggested that the average was now around 17GB per month, per connection. I would suggest that this figure is going to seem tiny in 5 years for the majority of people.

With the introduction of TVs, Blu-Rays, IPTV, various TV 'Players', 4G and the more acceptable view of mobile computing, I cannot see our usage dropping any time soon.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I can see the next step being the migration away from copper cables beginning some time around 2025-2030.
      Agree. The 'Last Mile' is going to be the final hurdle. FTTC, whilst welcomed, to me seems like a short sighted compromise. I've read a few articles suggesting that the Implementation of FTTH/P from the outset would have been far more cost effective than, upgrading the FTTC network to FTTH/P in 10-15 years time.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Bartlet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      My line speed on ADSL is capped at 4.1Mbps down and at peak times there can be four or more laptops and other devices online simultaneously using the internet - streaming, downloading, surfing etc. Sometime the strain is almost visible!

If my line speed on ADSL was something more decent, say 12Mbps or higher, I'd be quite happy to stay on ADSL and continue to pay 7.50 per month. That price for 50% or more of the theoretical maximum for ADSL is a bargain! But, for us, 20 for a relatively massive speed increase, is also a bargain.

Fibre has been available on my line for almost a year now. I've resisted jumping ship - mainly because pricing was too high at first, but also I was waiting for Sky to join the game. Now SBUF can't come to me too soon!
      My view is quite similar. If I had Scobbie's 20mbps for 7.50 I wouldn't give any of the FTTC offerings a second thought. In fact with my lowly 5mbps I hadn't been convinced that it was worth paying 25 for BT's Infinity. There's nothing I need to download in seconds/minutes rather than minutes/hours. Oh, and I'm tight

Sky's 20 is OK seeing as it is completely unlimited and unthrottled and I've not had a hint of a slow down since I've been with them for ADSL. The 50 set up fee would smart a little considering BT's free offering but I'm still hoping for 'the call' to avoid that

I have friends & family who live in a non-LLU area and are currently paying about 20 a month for 8mbps so 5 extra for Infinity is a no-brainer. Sky's LLU is just such good value (especially if you're close to the exchange!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlet View Post
      My view is quite similar. If I had Scobbie's 20mbps for 7.50 I wouldn't give any of the FTTC offerings a second thought. In fact with my lowly 5mbps I hadn't been convinced that it was worth paying 25 for BT's Infinity. There's nothing I need to download in seconds/minutes rather than minutes/hours. Oh, and I'm tight
      Generally speaking, IMO the vast majority of Sky BB customers fall into this catagory of user.
      Last edited by fazedup; 25-02-12 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Generally speaking, IMO the vast majority of Sky BB customers fall into this catagory of user.
      I would definitely agree with this.

I currently pay 12.50 a month, I get approx 7meg and unless I transfer my phone line to Sky and also increase my monthly payment to 20 then I couldn't get fibre anyway (if it were enabled at our exchange)

I just wouldn't use it to justify the hassle etc of changing.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I would definitely agree with this.

I currently pay 12.50 a month, I get approx 7meg and unless I transfer my phone line to Sky and also increase my monthly payment to 20 then I couldn't get fibre anyway (if it were enabled at our exchange)

I just wouldn't use it to justify the hassle etc of changing.
      Putting Fibre aside for a moment, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you take your phoneline to Sky also? I'm assuming you'd be paying less on line rental, also you'd save a fiver on BB to boot.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Putting Fibre aside for a moment, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you take your phoneline to Sky also? I'm assuming you'd be paying less on line rental, also you'd save a fiver on BB to boot.
      You not seen the horror stories on here? pmsl
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      You not seen the horror stories on here? pmsl
      I'd heard a few, but i'll plead ignorance and say that I didn't realise it was so widespread!

My own experience has been (Knocks on wood), very good indeed.
      My father migrated in to Sky from BT a few years ago without a hitch, he also migrated away from Sky to Plusnet 3 months ago without any drama.

Is it really that bad???

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast