Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky - new fibre launch

This is a discussion on Sky - new fibre launch within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thank you for the heads up on this. The 300Mb/s service is an FTTP product. Sky Fibre product is an ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky - new fibre launch

Thank you for the heads up on this.

The 300Mb/s service is an FTTP product. Sky Fibre product is an FTTC product.

Technically is is already possible to have a 1Gbit FTTP product, but I guess that BT want to gradually improve their backhaul before they unleash that on those who can get it.

Most telephone exchanges are only capable of support FTTC. There are a few which can support FTTP and several more are being rolled out to this standard in places like Cornwall too.

It makes for great headlines, but sadly there isn't much meat in the story for everyone else at the moment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      praveena1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I do get your point, but my query is whether Sky will be able to provide the upgraded 80 Mb speed in comparison to BT (which is expected in April).

By the way, a bit off the topic, BT is providing free FTTP trials for small businesses in Bradwell Abbey, Chester South, Highams Park, Ashford (Middlesex), York, Ilford and Leytonstone, Forest Hill.

Free FTTP Trial - BT Business Support Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by praveena1 View Post
      I do get your point, but my query is whether Sky will be able to provide the upgraded 80 Mb speed in comparison to BT (which is expected in April).

By the way, a bit off the topic, BT is providing free FTTP trials for small businesses in Bradwell Abbey, Chester South, Highams Park, Ashford (Middlesex), York, Ilford and Leytonstone, Forest Hill.

Free FTTP Trial - BT Business Support Forum
      I can't recall if the BT trial has already been mentioned, but FTTP has been discuss and various trials by other ISPs have been mentioned in the Sky Fibre Trial thread.

As for the potential upgrade, the information that has been made public thus far is that Sky will not be going to increase their speed to the full 80/20. At least it would be fair to say that this will be for the initial period.

They have the network infrastructure to deal with a huge increase in traffic now. I would have expected them to be able to handle this increase too. There may well be other work that needs to be completed behind the scenes or for someone to sign off on it. Perhaps they are wait for the initial roll out to be completed.

Ultimately at this stage it is best to say that we should all keep watching.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i just been speaking to someone at sky and they wouldnt tell me exactly but i was asking about sky talk and fibre and he said to wait till march because there is going to be some good offers on fibre as in half price but he wouldnt say if its for 6 or 12 months

Cookie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Low Moor (MYLOW)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post

@Cookie
      The problem is that there are no dates or indications from openreach regarding the phases so its a little bit of guess work with them tbh, after spending alot of time comparing exchange names from the different phases with the openreach exchange lists it seems all the early phases upto phase 6 have their exchanges listed on the 'exchanges accepting orders now' list but ofcause exchanges can be on that list when only some cabs are done so its only speculation that each phase is being completed before the next, it could be that some cabs from the earlier phases still need doing so as your cab is listed under phase 3 id hazard a guess that it should be done but theres no guarantee so the best thing you can do is go out and try to find that green bt cab that is listed for your post code and somewhere near to it there should be a nice new green metal cab with vent holes on the front, if there is then you should be good to go

Just had a look and there are 2 cabinets, one with vents at the bottom. Looks as if I'm wired up

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

grrrrrr another lucky f***er who is all ready to go

but seriously tho, its looking good for you then, if you registered your interest on that trial page then you may be contacted to take up Sky Fiber now like Andrewjr has been, really pleased for you, im gonna have to wait till june atleast when my exchange is due to go live or whenever they get to my cab.
      i sooooo want it now damn it

Thanks

Don't worry Moxey, they can iron out all the bugs for us

thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i just hope that bt's timing of march is going to be right when we are fttc enabled

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

what worries me is, theres 3 exchanges in my town, if you go from the actual bt infinity pages using the 'see when its avail in your area' link which pops up the uk map then click the west midlands part of map (this info is out of date cuz has exchanges ready now and exchanges due dec2011/mar2012/june2012/dec2012), 1 of the exchanges was listed for dec 2011 with the other 2 (inc mine) listed for june 2012.
      The info on the openreach when and where site with the exchange lists still shows the 2 for june but the 1 for dec 2011 on there shows march 2012 so if that 1 got put back i just hope that dont mean mine will have a knock on effect and get delayed too as i cant see any signs of openreach or any cabs anywhere in my town yet and nothing at all on the councils planning site either

Pathfinder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thank you for the heads up on this.

The 300Mb/s service is an FTTP product. Sky Fibre product is an FTTC product.

Technically is is already possible to have a 1Gbit FTTP product, but I guess that BT want to gradually improve their backhaul before they unleash that on those who can get it.

Most telephone exchanges are only capable of support FTTC. There are a few which can support FTTP and several more are being rolled out to this standard in places like Cornwall too.

It makes for great headlines, but sadly there isn't much meat in the story for everyone else at the moment.

a little update to the FTTC/FTTP debate for everyone....

BT Press Releases

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast