Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky - new fibre launch

This is a discussion on Sky - new fibre launch within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I kind of new to posting on this forum but I have been reading about the FTTC updates. I have ...

OzzyUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hampden Park
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky - new fibre launch

I kind of new to posting on this forum but I have been reading about the FTTC updates. I have just seen on my local council planing website that they are going to be installing a fibre cabinet next to the green cabinet that I am connected to and my local exchange will be updated in June. I will upgrade as soon as it becomes available. I have also seen lots of openreach vans around this area too and one of them had a huge reel of black cable on the back.

2. Advertisement
      gub
      gub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

We have just moved to a new build property, but I've had an arguement with BT with installation - so stuck with Sky as BT couldn't give a straight answer on whether or not I'd be able to get Infinity.

The BT wholesale site was saying we would be good to go, but the BT site not. Now the BT wholesale ADSL checker service is coming up with:

"Sorry, broadband is currently not available on your exchange.

Also, due to your line being routed over Fibre, it is currently not possible for your telephone line to support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site will be updated with developments as they happen."

This is impressive as we are on one of the first round of exchanges upgrade for FTTC (Bridgend) - but I haven't got the foggiest about what it is going on about with the line being routed over Fibre. Any ideas? I'm hoping that means that we are connected to a FTTC enabled cabinet, so we'll be OK to upgrade in April (or whenever they get round to it!).

brianc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As I posted in an earlier thread. My exchange when enabled September 2011. Some new cabinets have been installed next to the old types. But the cabinet nearest to my property still has not be started yet. So I can still not get fibre.

Looking at the posted link

Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when

It does state the following

2. We like to make superfast services available as soon as possible so when we declare an exchange is 'accepting orders', all the street cabinets in the exchange area may not have been completed yet. This takes time, so please be patient with us.

But the real worrying part is the third statement :

3. In many exchange areas not every cabinet can be upgraded.

How we will find out which cabinets are effected by the 3rd statement ? Cos knowing my luck !!!!!!
      Last edited by brianc; 02-02-12 at 01:12 PM.

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      out of interest, why dont you want to move line rental to sky?
      The problem with Sky line rental is that they block access to override providers such as 1899 and 18185 that enable you to get cheaper rates on calls to mobile phones and other types of calls. Therefore you have to pay whatever rates Sky charge for your call rather than have the ability to shop around.
      I'm not sure whether they also block access to 0844 xxx call providers such as 0844 calls, Ratebuster etc.

However, if you don't have your line rental with Sky, but do have Sky Talk, you have to pay BT for services such as Caller Display, 1571 etc. You also have to pay Sky for 0845 calls that are free with BT.

I have also heard that once you are on Sky's network for voice calls it is more difficult and costly to switch back because BT will charge you for a new line.

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

check this link https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...id=S351604JNil
      click options and filter by your post code, this will list the cab numbers for that post code and if it says yes in the deployed column to the far right then it is included in the current plans for this year, unfortunately you cant get any actual dates of when it will be done but it does give the planned phase it should be done in, it seems they are currently on phase 6-7

hope this helps

***NOTE***
      when you put your post code in note the filters are case sensitive and must be exactly as in the document to show, i originally made that mistake and filtered using post code with a space in it and thought mine wasent on there
      so post code in all caps with NO space
      Last edited by Moxey; 02-02-12 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added note for document filters

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Thanks

this is great news, my area is due to go live in a few months with fttc / bt infinity, however i also have the same worry in that is my cabinet going to be fibred?

whats the point in having some done and some not, and knowing my luck too my cab will be one of the ones not done.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lee2010 View Post
      whats the point in having some done and some not...
      It must be a block thing...

...only capable of doing half the job.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

i remember reading somewhere a response from bto regarding that rumour of only 40% of an exchange being done saying that was only from some of the first early exchanges where there was a low percentage of the exchanges coverage being residential properties or something and that with subsequent fill-ins and most later exchanges its now a much higher figure than that.

Being so far from my exchange and the usual luck i have i too was worried my cab wouldnt get done so was over the moon when i found that PCP document and saw my cab listed on it . This list of the current roll out plans does apear to look fairly substantial in the number of cabs planned but bearing in mind that those details are preliminary planned works that could be subject to delays/alterations or completely out of date by now, its about as close to knowing as we are gonna get untill see our green cabs pop up so i hope im gonna be ok

thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

on this link does it say the cabinets that are going to be done cause when i put my postcode in it comes up with the exchange and deployed = yes phase =8a fttc etc but it dosent say anything about each cabinet
      https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...id=S351604JNil

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjc1 View Post
      on this link does it say the cabinets that are going to be done cause when i put my postcode in it comes up with the exchange and deployed = yes phase =8a fttc etc but it dosent say anything about each cabinet
      https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...id=S351604JNil
      You will only have the one cabinet within your postcode. If you want to see what is happening for other cabinets in your area filter by the name of your exchange.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast