Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky - new fibre launch

This is a discussion on Sky - new fibre launch within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No need for apologies, we are just discussing our perceptions. Unfortunately that paints a bleaker picture ? My perception was ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky - new fibre launch

No need for apologies, we are just discussing our perceptions.
      Unfortunately that paints a bleaker picture ?
      My perception was 30- 40% of exchanges had fttc to all their cabinets, from what you are saying it could actually be 60 - 70% of exchanges ( theoretical ) are enabled but each only has economically viable cabinets connected by fibre thus bringing the overall percentage back down.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Yep, the figures are a little stretched I guess.

In the announcement Sky did say that they will continue to roll out the LLU equipment, reaching a target of 88% of the UK population by June 2013 (sorry if month wrong, from memory).

I also understand the BTO have been going back to some areas and installing more FTTC street cabinets.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As stated by me on the other fibre trial thread technically the Sky fibre product is ready to use in probably 90% of fibre enabled Exchanges the rest are being done at present. The Isams that voice and broadband users connect to are already fibre ready and have had latest software upgrades and also Sky network/lucent Alcatel engineers have been going round doing the upgrades and installing the additional ports and cabling required to be connected up to Openreach fibre input.
      If Sky would allow you could be connected in days and as others have stated retentions are offering to certain customers, for this reason I expect that the current N router will be used but they may have a special one to send out direct themselves.
      Now the press releases have been done the main holdup is marketing and staff training .
      On a personal level I do think Sky have made a mistake to use 40/2 product and should have gone for 40/10 service to be closer to infinity but they are governed by Openreach fibre profiles as 40/5 would have ideal to start with as keep check on bandwidth but not possible at present.

thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

im just trying to get this into my head fttc is happening in march in my exchange. there is a green cabinet 50yds from my house but its the old type does it mean i wont get fttc if that cabinet is not renewed.i saw bt playing with it last week but dunno what they were doing.

so is it going to be like llu where the bigger exchanges get sky fttc first or is there a chance i will get it with 4000 residents (i still dunno how i got sky llu with that many residents)
      Last edited by thomasjc1; 02-02-12 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjc1 View Post
      im just trying to get this into my head fttc is happening in march in my exchange. there is a green cabinet 50yds from my house but its the old type does it mean i wont get fttc if that cabinet is not renewed.i saw bt playing with it last week but dunno what they were doing.
      For everyone, so far as I know, BTO install a new cabinet that houses the FTTC equipment. You will need one of these new cabinets within a suitable distance from your home in order to get FTTC.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjc1 View Post
      so is it going to be like llu where the bigger exchanges get sky fttc first or is there a chance i will get it with 4000 residents (i still dunno how i got sky llu with that many residents)
      Your profile indicates that you currently have the Unlimited product. This means that your exchange has Sky's LLU equipment. All you need now is for BTO to upgrade your telephone exchange and place one of those new cabinets near your home.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

well like i say its meant to be happening in march there has been alot of bt activity around in the past 3 weeks but no new cabinets anywhere

Thanks

Visit you local council's planning applications site. You may find there that there are various applications for new cabinets to be installed and hopefully one will be close enough to your home.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hmmmmmmmm cant see anything on there

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Was finally hoping to get some decent speed as I pay enough for Sky products another 20 is neither here nor there. However upon checking the BT Superfast page I have the lovely NC "Not currently in rollout plans"!!

Smashing, see you on the otherside sometime in 2015
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

Thanks

For thomasjc1, blisteringblue and anyone else who may want to know what is happening, you will need to keep an eye on your local areas and see what plans are being submitted and watch any sites which are posted on this or other forums to see what happens.

There is a new FAQ being developed at the moment and some of these questions have already been addressed in it.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...dband-faq.html

It would be nice to waive a magic wand and instantly have FTTP available for everyone, unfortunately we all have to wait a little longer for that result in the real world.

The good news is that finally Sky are definitely going to be supplying a form of Fibre based broadband and it will gradually be rolled out to as many potential customers as they can.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

blisteringblue (02-02-12),thomasjc1 (02-02-12)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast