Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky - new fibre launch

This is a discussion on Sky - new fibre launch within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dankargo I had to put my postcode in on the Infinity website as it said I wasn't ...

toekneem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASBF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky - new fibre launch

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      I had to put my postcode in on the Infinity website as it said I wasn't using a BT line but it said I'd be able to receive 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload.
      Hi dankargo, don't wanna put a dampner on things, but entering a postcode address will only give an estimate of whether you can get fibre. A particular postcode can have more than 1 cabinet, and not all cabinets are being upgraded , so 1 cabinet can be upgraded and the next cabinet which could be in the next road will not be upgraded.
      toekneem

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I dont want to sound like I'm putting a damper on things, however from various posts I have read people seem to think this will be available from Sky in April.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but this will only be available from Sky as and when BT upgrade the infrastructure from their exchanges to the cabinets.
      For the majarity of us this could still be a long way off yet.
      You make an interesting point. I had assumed the new service would only be available in exchanged that BT had already made fibre-enabled. Since it has been made clear now that the Sky offering is not a BT wholesale product can we assume this is not the case ??

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Taken from Sky's press release -

"Adding choice with Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre: Sky is to give customers even more choice by adding a fibre broadband product to its range from April. For 20 a month, customers will be able to access download speeds of up to 40 megabits with a totally unlimited product that has no usage caps. From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme."

The last sentence being what has led me to the conclusion I came to.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I dont doubt that Sky will have its equipment in exchanges that are enabled for FTTC.
      I do doubt that they will have equipment sat around gathering dust in exchanges that have yet to be enabled.
      I think they are a bit smarter than that.
      Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but Sky arnt investing in the wires in the ground or the equipment in the cabinets, they will just be putting equipment into exchanges that will be able to utilise it, just like they and all the other isp's did with ADSL.
      The LLU equipment that Sky has will allow the FTTC connection to be made to it, so they already have done so.

Again this is from posts made by other members in the 'FTTC Trial thread'.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The LLU equipment that Sky has will allow the FTTC connection to be made to it, so they already have done so.

Again this is from posts made by other members in the 'FTTC Trial thread'.
      As I said earlier I'm not trying to put a damper on things or be argumentative, just realistic.
      If Sky have equipment in the exchanges that is capable of fttc connections, which you suggest is the case, then all is well and good, however without the fttc bit its a moot point.
      Their own press release states that "From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme."

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I can see what you mean Dave, but I read it slightly different.

Sky have done all the LLU exhanges with the kit etc, and are continuing to do so. The 30% I read as that is the percentage per BT for installing the fibre side of things, and as BT roll out more, then Sky can utilise it.

It does look from reading Sky have done all the backhaul side of things etc - its just the fibre laying (from BT) that is holding Sky back etc

Although I like the look of the product, I don't wish to swap phone rental to Sky anyway, so unless they retract that side of things, then I won't be getting it anyway.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

out of interest, why dont you want to move line rental to sky?

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

You are correct, sky will launch its service in April meaning ppl can buy/upgrade to the fiber product but yes only if/when your exchange AND the local green cab your line connect to gets wired up with fiber, this is the same for any fiber product from any of the isp's currently offering it too (except VM ofcause).
      Openreach are doing the work to enable FTTC availability, sky are just starting to have it as a sky service from April in places that are enabled for it, you need to check the info on the Openreach site to see if/when your local exchange is due to go fiber, alot of exchanges are already planned for this year and they announce new ones every so often i believe so hopefully you wont have to wait this long
      Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when
      theres an interactive map to show local exchanges if put post code in and 3 documents at bottom of page for exchanges accepting orders, coming soon (this year) and not currently in planned roll out

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxey For This Useful Post:

barnyg (02-02-12)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      out of interest, why dont you want to move line rental to sky?
      Heard too many bad things pmsl
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sorry Dave, I was attempting to correct the information.

From what some members have been saying, those exchanges that have been upgraded to FTTC and also have Sky's LLU equipment, have already had Sky Engineers visiting and installing the necessary pieces for a BTO Installation Engineer to use so that they can just connect the FTTC line to Sky's LLU equipment.

As Ged has just stated, the low figure reflect the roll out of BTO's FTTC product, which often does not service a whole area anyway. Very often they only install enough FTTC equipment to reach around 40% of the population.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast