Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Switched from O2 and speed

This is a discussion on Switched from O2 and speed within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to get 6Mb with O2, switched to Sky and now only get 4Mb. A bit disappointed really....

plusmore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somersham
      Broadband ISP: Plus.Net Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Switched from O2 and speed

I used to get 6Mb with O2, switched to Sky and now only get 4Mb. A bit disappointed really.

2. Advertisement
      psprog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I've just switched from O2 to Sky and with O2 I was getting 16.5Mb.

After the 10 days of DLM it had set it to 12.5Mb, due to the downstream noise margin being stuck at 13.5db for the last few days of the DLM period for some reason.

I gave the technical team a call and told them I was a 'techie' user and could they remove the setting that the DLM had erroneously settled on and they did it there and then. I was watching the router stats at the time and it shot up to 18.8Mb with a downstream noise margin of 3.2db and that pretty much amazed me as I was expecting around 16Mb at most, especially as I'm on the old Easynet kit at my exchange.

It's been up now for around 6 days, and I know my line is fine with a ~3db margin as I used to have this when I was at Bulldog and I could tweak the SNR using the DMT tool.

Always worth giving them a call!

PS Having said that, I wonder if there's horrible contention on Sunday evenings with Sky, as my current download has slowed down to 200kb/sec for some reason - it's using multiple connections from a US server and has always gone at 2000kb/sec prior to this (and was similarly always at 1650kb/sec when I was with O2). Hopefully just a blip.

Slowband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Being on the old Easynet kit is a good thing! On that network and a phone line 400m longer than the one I have now on the SVBN I managed 24Mb down and 2.6Mb up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12