Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Username & Password

This is a discussion on Sky Username & Password within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Please stop blaming Sky staff for this issue. I have several "arguments" per week with customers who will simply not ...

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Re: Sky Username & Password

Please stop blaming Sky staff for this issue. I have several "arguments" per week with customers who will simply not accept thats whilst I personally don't give a flying wotsit which router you use, we are simply not allowed to give you the information. I'm not risking my job for you, as I'm sure you wouldn't risk yours for me.

Sky do have in the pipeline to start rolling out N routers soon, not sure of an exact date.

If you call and speak to Sky Tech (most of us aren't stupid despite what you might think) you should hopefully get your problem resolved.

2. Advertisement
      bloozman_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      Please stop blaming Sky staff for this issue. I have several "arguments" per week with customers who will simply not accept thats whilst I personally don't give a flying wotsit which router you use, we are simply not allowed to give you the information. I'm not risking my job for you, as I'm sure you wouldn't risk yours for me.

Sky do have in the pipeline to start rolling out N routers soon, not sure of an exact date.

If you call and speak to Sky Tech (most of us aren't stupid despite what you might think) you should hopefully get your problem resolved.
      i did not say that the entire sky staff was to blame (as i know fine well it's the ones higher up that make the rules not the phone jockeys(no insult intended)) nor did i say that sky staff should risk their jobs in handing out the username and password as i have said i had spent all day tryin to find out this information i had even shocked one customer service Genius (he is the only one of them i am slightly Miffed with) by sugesting it was the router itself that was faulty causing my connection problems (even after i told him that i had tested the router with another power supply of same size and voltage) ......every other isp can let their customers know this information why can't sky?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

These decisions will have been made very high up in the chain.

I have worked for another firm in a call centre and I understand the issues that are faced by the staff at Sky. Let us not forget that many of the calls, if not all, are recorded.

When decisions like this are made, it is very easy to enforce it upon the staff. It only needs one member to be dismissed and the rest will not risk it.

If you must complain, then write a letter to the directors.

Before you do so, there is one very nice thing that I have picked up from Sky's policy: It is a lot easier to identify problem and get them resolved because everyone has similar equipment. This really does reduce support costs and keep YOU costs down!

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bloozman_1 View Post
      i did not say that the entire sky staff was to blame (as i know fine well it's the ones higher up that make the rules not the phone jockeys(no insult intended)) nor did i say that sky staff should risk their jobs in handing out the username and password as i have said i had spent all day tryin to find out this information i had even shocked one customer service Genius (he is the only one of them i am slightly Miffed with) by sugesting it was the router itself that was faulty causing my connection problems (even after i told him that i had tested the router with another power supply of same size and voltage) ......every other isp can let their customers know this information why can't sky?
      I hear several times a night customers demanding new routers and insisting thats the problem. Nine times out of ten, it isn't. The reason routers aren't thrown around willy nilly is because if they fail to resolve the issue, its just more frustration for the customer.

If you complete the troubleshooting steps at tier one (which we have to do, however I personally haven't followed the "script" since 2008) and it can't be resolved you will go to CST. Generally, they replace the router first as its much cheaper than sending an engineer.

Your first post was a bit of a rant so I'm not altogether sure what your issue is to be honest.

But if you insist its the router, call them and let them check your connection out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanity For This Useful Post:

bloozman_1 (23-02-11)

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bloozman_1 View Post
      yeah my fault and stuck with it until 05-08-2011 whereupon i will switch to an isp that will give me my username and password ....... i have searched for most of the day yesterday (when i could get on) and all searches point to the same few pages on these forums inparticular Mel's Authenticity V1.6 program allthough my router has been updated to the latest version ..... seems to be easier with the sagem and netgear routers but still a task in it's self ...... and there seems to be a lot of people wanting to use better equipment so why can't sky help instead of hindering those people that want their details ??

I haven't suggested it in my blog, as I haven't tested it myself, and there's always risk that flashing a router could render it permanently inoperative, however you could attempt to flash the router with the original firmware, which I believe is supplied on a CD included with the router along with a recovery utility. There are apparently compatibility issues with the Netgear recovery utility and windows 7 and vista, and I'm not aware if the D-link one is any better.

If you do attempt to downgrade the router, disconnect the phone line first, and before plugging it back in the phone line after flashing, select the "advanced" option in my program, enter the following command without the quotes "killall upgrader", and hit return or click the execute link - this should stop the router checking for new firmware until it is rebooted. (you can type in ps to get a list of processes, if you want to check that upgrader has been killed)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy logic For This Useful Post:

bloozman_1 (23-02-11)

Thanks

@ Sanity
      an engineer visited in november and found a split in my line outside my house and before the pole after i had been complaining about poor internet performance since i first moved in here 2 and a half years ago (i was with talk talk) the engineer that sky sent was the only one that found the fault he replaced the line and there hasn't been a problem since and i was eternally thankful for that (i even phoned sky to thank them) my speed was boosted by 2.5Mb and the connection was stable and i never had a problem until monday ....the reason i am saying it is the router that is at fault is because the power light keeps going out on the router then it struggles too re-connect to the internet i also first thought it was the power supply but as i have a spare one (power supply) that works i tried that first and the router was doing exactly the same (which is why i originally asked sky for my username and password as i have 3 better quality routers sitting doing nothing) i explained all this to the tech genius guy and he said no it is impossible for the router to break down as the manufacturer said it was built to last for 5 years i have had this one since august last year and he is sending me a power supply which will take a few days to get here then more phonecalls to sky to go through all this again, possible total for new router and back to stable connection possibly 2 weeks >>>> hence the reason i was having a rant at the start of this .....
      @ fuzzy logic
      cheers for that i have tried to downgrade the firmware off the disk that came with the router but it only gets so far then stops saying it cannot connect to the router then finishes

Exchange:
      Thanks

You said initially that you had a D Link router and the agent is sending you a psu?

We don't send D Link psu's, we can only replace Sagem psu's. If you have an issue with the power on the router and the troubleshooting does not fix it, your router will be replaced.

If the agent has told you any different, call back as soon as possible and make sure a router is sent. If you are waiting for a D Link psu it will never arrive.....

Thanks

ok i have just had a letter from sky stating that my new "SAGEM" power supply is on it's way........... (nice one Sanity well guessed lol) how difficult is it to get the right part sent out to me ....... i explained very clearly what was wrong to the guy on the phone and the correct router make ...... must have been havin a bad day ...... now i gotta phone again and explain again what the problem is and spell out "D-LINK" to him/her...... am i allowed to get sarcastic now ?

Update :~~~~~ spoke to a bloke at sky who laughed when i told him the problems i've been having and the bit about the routers being unbreakable ..... he then took some details and is sending me out a new router (possibly Sagem) in the next 5 days (next day delivery ain't got to sky yet then ) but top bloke cheers to him .... even if i did have to pay for delivery....... (not like Sky don't get paid enough )

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You shouldn't be paying anything - it's free for replacement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      You shouldn't be paying anything - it's free for replacement.
      3-50 for it to be sent to me ....... and at this moment in time i am really past caring .... or i will start on the why can't i have my username and password like any other good isp would give me trail again ..........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 28-10-13, 03:37 PM