Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Connection - my letter to sky

This is a discussion on Slow Connection - my letter to sky within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have just sent this to sky regarding my slow wifi connection - I am on Sky unlimited, any ...

ROP7R is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow Connection - my letter to sky

Hi, I have just sent this to sky regarding my slow wifi connection - I am on Sky unlimited, any comments to add please regarding the slow connection that I may not have considered.

I have not included the speedtest log in here, to avoid the OP being to long.

Thanks

Dear Sky,

I gratefully request a replacement sky router to replace my current router which has been plagued by wifi issues since August 2010.

The problem started in August when the speed via wifi would drop so low that it become unusable, I very quickly did all the usual checks, leads, master socket, and replaced filters on all parts of the house but have no effect on the poor internet speed. The only solution at the time was rebooting the router and the wifi speed would pick up again.

I contacted sky in August (KMM6315466I15977L0KM) to report this problem, On August 21st I got the reply “I have re-configured the settings on your broadband line in order to stabilise the connection” obviously I didn’t reply back to say there was any further problems at the time as I felt I would get by with just turning the router on and off.

From that point onwards I did a speed check every time there was a problem and I include the log details below.

I soon moved on to trying other solutions, I tried every single wifi channel from 1-13 over the course of several months, trying day and night to find a good signal, I even installed on my pc a wifi finder to ensure I was not getting any problems with nearby routers, even on the clearest channel I would still find issues with wifi speed dropping off.

I also new it was not an issue with my pc as my iphone and xbox suffered the same slow wifi issues.

By this December I had no choice but to move on to a wired connection for systems in the house, the xbox, skyanytime+ and pc have a wired a connection, this was the point when I was able to establish beyond doubt that it was a wifi issue as all wired system kept a good download speed, where as at the same time wireless systems such as a iphone would not work.

Now into January and the dropping connection on wifi is becoming more regular which is why I’m now at the point of requesting a new router.

This is my log since August 2010, using speedtest, Maidenhead all wifi checks.

I would be grateful if you would raise this to a higher level technical support in light of previous communications and the further details I have discovered, I hope you will be able to help very soon.

Regards

Mr ____

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connection - my letter to sky

Sorry but what is slow? Your connection or your wifi? if it's wifi then there is little Sky can do if your local wireless bandwidth is congested. Have you checked what channels are in use by who around you?
      Wireless is unreliable and shouldn't be used for gaming where possible, you can go a few different routes to try and sort it out, one is to piggyback a wireless N router to your sky router.
      Another route is homeplugs
      Final route is to change the primary router completely.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connection - my letter to sky

Paul's spot on nothing Sky can do. They will replace the router for you. But sending this letter is going to make this long winded and it's not going to go to CST it will go into the complaints dept. Pick up the phone call sky have a case logged and get xfrd through to CST explain the situation and ask for a replacement router. As there is nothing else they can do regarding this im sure they will replace the router.