Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A word of warning (using your own router and consequences)

This is a discussion on A word of warning (using your own router and consequences) within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had sky broadband for several years now and have been using my own router for all that time ...

demon-knight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Exclamation A word of warning (using your own router and consequences)

I have had sky broadband for several years now and have been using my own router for all that time until 3 days ago when it suddenly stopped working.

No amount of reboots or checking wiring helped so I had no choice but to ring them, spent 20 odd minutes on hold only to be transferred and on hold for another 10 minutes. Finally got through to someone who wanted to go through all the questions with me, told them I had done all this. I knew why the router wasnt working in that it couldnt receive authentication or in other terms the LCP is allowed to come up.

As I explained the problem he eventually asked if it was a sky router which it wasnt it was a Netgear DG834N as the original one sky sent died, he asked why I didnt ask for a new one, thing is I did ask sky and they didnt send it so I used my own better router.

So once he knew it wasnt my own router he reeled off the same old same old about how its against the T's and C's.

He then said that there "computer" had saw that I wasnt using a router supplied by them and it had decided to ban me! So what they are saying is that the "computer" is so good that it took it over a year to find and ban me, what are they running an 8086 with dos 3 on?

So was getting narked at this point and said well why didnt they send me a router when I had asked them to last year, the simple reply was that we will get you one sent out in the next few days and after another 10 minutes of tapping away on his computer (8086) he said again that it would be with me in a few days.

I asked him what happens in the meantime as I want m internet back on, to which he replied he would unbar my router in the next hour. 2.5 hours later it decided to start working again.

As the observant of you will notice that there is no way on earth I will get the router before Tuesday at the latest what with public holidays and such.

Moral of the story is I shouldn't of used my own router which is better in every respect than the sky routers. Its not just any router though, im getting one of the new shiny black (Sagem?) models or so he said, still only g spec though, so im downgrading my router and having g spec instead of my n spec, nice.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: A word of warning (using your own router and consequences)

Sky have always said 'We only support the 'free' Routers we supply and you agreed to use under our T&C's'. So to ask them for support on any other router is naive. I'm just surprised you seem so upset when you obviously knew the consequences of your actions.

You could use your approved Sky router and daisy chain that to another router to give you better wireless performance. That way you are connected via an approved router but are using a higher performance wifi connection. You would probably need to turn off DHCP in the secondary router.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's the first case I have heard of about Sky kicking you off for using your own router.

Although I believe Sky are upgrading their kit / back end routers / exchanges etc and so they are probably doing it to sort the authentication issues out with non Sky Routers. As the new kit would offer better routing / connections etc
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Its not that that bothers me its the fact I had rang them several times when my original sky router died and they still didnt send me one when they said they would.

Its also ironic that the computer took so long to find it too.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Who's to say Sky haven't only just actually started to check who's using non-Sky routers? We could tell in CST if someone was using a non-Sky router using PuTTY (before access was revoked)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Who's to say Sky haven't only just actually started to check who's using non-Sky routers? We could tell in CST if someone was using a non-Sky router using PuTTY (before access was revoked)...
      Very true and a good point, more than likely they have the list of mac addresses for each router they send out so they will now instantly if a non sky router was attached to the network.

If they wanted to stop other routers been used on the network maybe they should think about mac filtering it would solve the problem instantly.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The other point to consider is that Sky are moving part of the network to MER, this is quite possibly how the 3rd party router was barred. It may have been nothing to do with the router being banned for not being a Sky one, more that it just could not authenticate on the new system..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What's MER?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

MAC Encapsulated Routing, it replaces PPPoA and some Sagems are already on it. Not sure about the Dlinks, they may be too. The Netgears need an update to enable it. See here -
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...twork-mer.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demon-knight View Post
      Very true and a good point, more than likely they have the list of mac addresses for each router they send out so they will now instantly if a non sky router was attached to the network.

If they wanted to stop other routers been used on the network maybe they should think about mac filtering it would solve the problem instantly.
      Not if you've set your non-sky router to spoof the sky router's Wan MAC address, I did that on my own Netgear DG834N when I initially set it up to use on Sky. Unfortunately mine suffers from the red light of death issue (has to be turned off for about 1 hour to get cold after a power failure or it won't reconnect), so I no longer use it.

Several posters on this forum have said they found it necessary to spoof the MAC to get their non-sky routers to connect,so perhaps that is being rolled out over their network due to the introduction of MER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast