Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

sky broadband 20 meg lie!

This is a discussion on sky broadband 20 meg lie! within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all. I recently switched to sky unlimited after sky changed their whole broadband setup. Before i was on the ...

roadrunner20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Exclamation sky broadband 20 meg lie!

Hello all.

I recently switched to sky unlimited after sky changed their whole broadband setup.

Before i was on the MID package with around 7 meg speed and 40gb download, but then got changed, and then had around 7meg speed and 10 meg download.

I therefore changed to unlimited as looking for speed increase and the unlimited download cap.

When i got told it would take 8-10 days, i waited, it now around 14 days and i have been doing some speed tests and found i was still on around 6-7 meg.

When i rang sky i got told i "was on the fastest possible service " and that " i am on the unlimited package "

I find this disgraceful as i was not told before i ordered the unlimited package i would not get a speed increase.

So my message to people is dont buy sky unlimited thinking you will get any speed increase, and to force the question to sky," will i get a speed increase and how much"

I very angrey that sky have lied to me and got me to belive i would be getting a speed increase( i relise UPTO means upto, but i would at least exspect a increase from 7 meg to around 10-15 at the very least)

i going to pursue this matter as i feel like sky is lieing to me about only being able to get 7 meg, as their promotions keep going on about unlimited and 20 meg speeds, im on 7 meg.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/703067122.png

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: sky broadband 20 meg lie!

stats please!

and it's UP TO 20Mbps, this is no guarantee you'll get it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Unless you were getting around 10 Mb on Everyday, you would not get any increase from Unlimited. Post your stats from your normal position and from the Test socket and we will see if you can get any more. See the links at the bottom of the Quick Links box on the left for details.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      stats please!

and it's UP TO 20Mbps, this is no guarantee you'll get it...
      That a terrible excuse and you know it, every programme and person has said that.

If they keep using that excuse they going to be taken to cout if they carfull as allready described by the BBC.

The issue is i was on 7 meg, thay allowed me to upgrade without telling me i would get any increase.

Point being, this is disgraceful you advertise 20 meg and change our broadband ( i was on med) pretty much forcing all customers to change, and advertise how good the unlimited is and fast it is then give me 0 increase at all.

Another excuse for "living far from exchange" isnt going to work as i have chcked and live:

1379mtrs from it.

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I upgraded yesterday to unlimited and so far no changes, but its early days yet I will give it a week or so and see what happens. I tryed to get a figue from sky but all they would say was upto 20g,they would not commit them selfs. The only good thing is I did it with the six months free offer so it will cost me no more for the year then everyday and if it does not get any better I will switch back after that time or look else ware

Mickr

Thanks

I suggest you dont hold your breath, i was at least exspecting a increase of 1 meg, getting no increase is a complete joke, i have been missold a product.

I belive trading standards allready looking into the "upto" issue as they belive they are breaking advertise laws.

20meg i know isnt going to be 20meg but 7 meg increase from..7 meg is a joke no excuse.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner20 View Post
      That a terrible excuse and you know it, every programme and person has said that.

If they keep using that excuse they going to be taken to cout if they carfull as allready described by the BBC.

The issue is i was on 7 meg, thay allowed me to upgrade without telling me i would get any increase.

Point being, this is disgraceful you advertise 20 meg and change our broadband ( i was on med) pretty much forcing all customers to change, and advertise how good the unlimited is and fast it is then give me 0 increase at all.

Another excuse for "living far from exchange" isnt going to work as i have chcked and live:

1379mtrs from it.
      It's not a bad excuse, it's always been advertised as UP TO 20Mbps and it states that quality of line/distance from exchange are contributing factors. Just cause you didn't read into it before signing up is as much your fault as it is the agent signing you up (who shuld've mentioned there'd probably be no increase in download speed). The main change is having no download limit and an increased upstream speed...

There's nothing trading standards can do about it as advertising does mention the limiting factors so the ads are above board...

If you're truely 1.4km from the exchange then chances are it's YOUR internal wiring holding things back and as I've already asked for your current connection stats I'll wait on them before commenting further...it could be you're 1.4KM straight line and your actual line could be a lot longer...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky's Unlimited package has always been up to 20meg, as for advertising and people's interpretation of what that means I agree. There should be a huge disclaimer next to the headline speed advertising, stating if you live next door to the exchange.

That aside, the benefits of Max far outweigh Mid / Everyday anyway, faster upload speed, potential faster download speed, unlimited cap and so you are on a better package technically.

Post your stats from your test socket and your normal socket that you use to see if anyone can point you in a direction to help try and increase download speeds.

How to get your router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

These are my stats at present but as stated have only just upgraded

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 28:51:29

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 175796 245986 0 340 2500 28:50:41
      LAN 100M/Full 273079 225649 0 2535 510 28:51:24
      WLAN 11M/54M 43923 16360 0 158 32 28:51:12
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10234 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 23 db

Mickr

Thanks

System Up Time 73:40:13
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 29063 55061 0 1646 62233 00:21:17
      LAN 10M/100M 3104996 2071211 0 9571 1012 73:40:09
      WLAN 11M/54M 9801 0 0 7 0 73:40:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8191 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0 db 22.9 db
      Noise Margin 9.5 db 13.5 db

done 10 tests from 10 differant checkers and all have around 6-7

Been on ofcom site and they say that they SHOULD provide you with what speeds you likely to get BEFORE you sign up/signed up.

this part of the agreement that 90% of all ISPs have signed upto incl sky.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast