Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky Broadband - CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband - CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!! within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is exasperating (no doubt for both of us). 1) You make reference to a chipset problem being at the ...

Mr14G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mixed
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband - CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!

This is exasperating (no doubt for both of us).

1) You make reference to a chipset problem being at the root of your problem despite the fact that you have had the same problem with two different routers, one of which certainly doesn't use that particular chipset.

2) With 20,000 members on this forum, don't you think it would be apparent if this really were a problem?

3) Having personally diagnosed and helped several hundred members problems over the last 18 months, I can confidently state that the number of times that it isn't a line or wireless fault at the root of the problem can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

As I've requested two times now, spend some time reading the forum and then post details of how you've proved it isn't either of those things using the tests discussed time and time again in hundreds of threads.
      First of all, its clear that I now know where to look to resolve my issue, and I'm actually looking forward to tackling it, so thanks Richone54 for pointing me in the direction of "internal wiring".
      You wrote the comment above so clearly you haven't done all the checks.
      I was referring to the modem, and have since acknowledge I understand what he meant by "internal wiring", so now I'm pointed in the right direction will be able to, but would be much simpler if my router could handle a little noise on the line would it not. The only reason I'm with Sky is because Virgin/NTL didn't wire up on this two year old estate for some reason

You dont need to be an electrician to check telephone wiring it is all low voltage stuff. Sky's network operated by "Easynet" which Sky now own, it is know to be a solid reliable network, as previously stated 99% of problems are down to poor line quality and poor internal telephone wiring causing noise on the line.
      Tool box will be out tomorrow

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr14G View Post
      The original router was the DG834G, which would drop at least 5 times a day, for about a maximum of 3-4 minutes. Now I have the DG934G, which has dropped 5 times already today! But when this one drops, it's a good 5-10 mins before it reconnects. Thats a fair amount of time added up over a month to lose, let a lone have to pay for. If my paper boy only delivers 5 out of the 7 he's meant to, I only pay for 5!
      The first router which Sky issued to its customer was NOT the DG834G, it was the DG834GT (with a T) which is a completely different router, based around a Broadcom BCM6348 chip. By contrast the DG934G is based around the TI AR7 chip, just like the DG834G (no T) router.

The article you referenced hypothesises that there might be an issue with the AR7 chip, because a lot of customers who had problems were all using routers with the AR7 chip - it seemed to be the "common factor" in a large number of complaints.

Now, when it comes down to your situation, you've found that both a Broadcom based router AND a TI based router both seem to have problems. This would suggest that whatever the problem is, it probably isn't down to the router chipset, or even if it is an issue, it's unlikely to be the main problem.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi,

I hope you do not mind me butting in with some clear and basic questions that answers to might help our more knowledgeable members assist you.

1. can you post your router stats

a. as they are in your normal set up and
      b. with the router only running from the test socket behind the faceplate of your master socket.

If you have done this already, I apologise, but it may help point to any wiring issues.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

. . . . . and ensure it isn't a wireless issue (if indeed you are wireless - you haven't yet said) by trying a wired connection to see if the problem persists.

I'm sorry if you feel you weren't pointed in the right direction until now but I tried to make it clear right from the start what the issue was likely to be and that a little reading would help you a great deal.

The problem you appear to be describing (or similar) is posted possibly dozens of times a week and it would be hard not to be able to find examples within moments. You'll also hopefully have seen a number of "stickies" such as those in my signature where the key info can be found. To have to keep responding to new posts with the same questions and answers again and again can be a little dispiriting when the info is already so well covered. The forum is a great source of information if people take the time to look.
      Last edited by Saturday; 23-02-08 at 07:38 PM.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr14G View Post
      I don't think people are understanding, when the line drops, the modem reboots, so any external wiring, (all checked, changed) or the wireless cannot be an issue.
      If this is correct (that the power light is going off too) then I would be inclined to agree with you - that the router is faulty, but not because of the chipset used.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      . . . . . and ensure it isn't a wireless issue (if indeed you are wireless - you haven't yet said) by trying a wired connection to see if the problem persists.

I'm sorry if you feel you weren't pointed in the right direction until now but I tried to make it clear right from the start what the issue was likely to be and that a little reading would help you a great deal.

The problem you appear to be describing (or similar) is posted possibly dozens of times a week and it would be hard not to be able to find examples within moments. You'll also hopefully have seen a number of "stickies" such as those in my signature where the key info can be found. To have to keep responding to new posts with the same questions and answers again and again can be a little dispiriting when the info is already so well covered. The forum is a great source of information if people take the time to look.
      My apologies, and you have been very helpful too so thanks. I can confidently say that the issue is not wireless.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
      If this is correct (that the power light is going off too) then I would be inclined to agree with you - that the router is faulty, but not because of the chipset used.
      They go full the reboot process, and the DG9, takes twice as long to get functional as the DG8.

This isn't while connected to the main box, but sharing the line with the HD box..

And this connected to the main.....

Last edited by Mr14G; 26-02-08 at 09:26 PM.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband

^^^ Both your downstream and upstream connection speeds appear to be much lower than they should be for your line attenuation, which suggests you have a noisy telephone line and/or extensions.

You should be able to achieve a sync speed of ~11,500 kbps downstream and either ~400 kbps (Mid) or ~750 kbps (Max) upstream if your line were free of noise.

Do you have an engineer test socket behind the faceplate of your master socket? If so, it would be worth trying the router in that to rule out your internal wiring and see whether the fault is with the line itself.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 26-02-08 at 10:49 PM. Reason: addition

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There is a marked difference in sync speed between the 2 sets of stats above which would indicate internal wiring is causing noise on the line. As previously suggested check to see if you have a test socket behind the face plate of your master socket, by plugging the router in there it will disconnect all your extension wiring so if things improve you know thats the problem.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      There is a marked difference in sync speed between the 2 sets of stats above which would indicate internal wiring is causing noise on the line. As previously suggested check to see if you have a test socket behind the face plate of your master socket, by plugging the router in there it will disconnect all your extension wiring so if things improve you know thats the problem.
      The second image was when connected to the test socket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast