Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Openreach Exchange Delays

This is a discussion on Openreach Exchange Delays within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My local exchange was due to be FTTC enabled by 31/12/2012, but this was put back to by 31/03/13. I've ...

mpreed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Openreach Exchange Delays

My local exchange was due to be FTTC enabled by 31/12/2012, but this was put back to by 31/03/13.

I've just checked http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ and it looks like BT have now moved back a whole raft of exchanges to June 2013, including mine.

Which is particularly annoying as the fibre cabinet was installed at the end of my street a couple of weeks ago!

I suppose I can take hope that the delay is probably due to the recent bad weather (although it's been mild in this part of the woods) and that we may be enabled sooner rather than later, but I'm hoping that there won't be another delay.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Openreach Exchange Delays

Unfortunately there is little that anyone can do, other that wait a little longer.

In truth you may find that it gets enables sooner. BTO only posts dates 3 months apart, so if they think it may go live in April, then they will post June.

I am still waiting to be able to order for where I am too. The original date was Sept 2012 and has continued to get pushed back on a regular basis.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

mpreed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers Scubbie, my original mail started with the intention of informing folk that BT were pushing dates back again, but ended up being a bit of a moan!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if BT wait for all fibre cabinets to be installed in an exchanges area before activating the exchange, or do they activate them and then add fibre cabinets post installation?

I suspect they wouldn't activate an exchange for FTTC until a certain percentage of cabinets had fibre cabinets installed alongside them.

But yes, all I can do is wait. And check each day to see if BT have activated it. Then wait some more for Sky to do their bit.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Don't worry about the moan. Many have said the same already.

What has been reported in the past is that the Exchange will go live at a particular point when there is approximately 35% of the area covered.

Unfortunately some cabinets have been made live months after the exchange, but they did go live.

For now just keep checking the BTO When & where page:

Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when

When your exchange & cabinet are live, check the BT Infinity page and ultimately Sky's broadband ordering page:

Superfast Broadband – Get Fibre Optic Broadband with BT Infinity

Sky Broadband and Talk - Broadband and Wireless Offers - Upgrade Online

I guess the next thing to do would be to check out which package you would be interested in.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mpreed (12-02-13)

Scarl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hmm.. just checked my area again after reading this thread and it seems my exchange has been pushed back from June 2013 to September 2013... and just after I started to see cabinets poping up around town over the last few weeks too. Ahh well, I've waited long enough for fast broadband speeds, a couple of extra months won't hurt...

FelixTCat is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Don't worry too much about it. I wanted BT's Infinity when it was first announced for my exchange and avidly watched the dates. Each time the quarter approached that it was due to go live, it went back another 3 months. I finally tired of waiting and had Virgin fibre broadband installed. Sure enough, 2 months later Infinity became available at my cabinet!

Perhaps it is better now, but you will need patience and tranquillisers to survive BT's programme changes.

Regards,

Felix
      Wireless

Ianh2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Springburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Same here, The funny thing is my area was meant to be part of the first roll-out, It was set for early last year, then pushed to September, then December, then March and now June

My exchange just went live on Tuesday and is accepting orders but my cabinet is not enabled yet, From what I can tell when I pass it it is not even powered on.

It sucks being stuck on 0.5meg