Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Welwyn Garden City Exchange Upgrade - Questions!

This is a discussion on Welwyn Garden City Exchange Upgrade - Questions! within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had a letter a few weeks back that Sky was going to be upgrading their equipment in the WGC ...

fwdlink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Welwyn Garden City Exchange Upgrade - Questions!

I had a letter a few weeks back that Sky was going to be upgrading their equipment in the WGC exchange and that I could expect an disruption both on dial-tone as well as Broadband. The change took place during the day today as the letter stated, just before 12PM which in my view should have been the night, and indeed everything dumped.

Now my Broadband has synced much lower on both U/L and D/L and I've noticed my U/L TX noise is 10db, and it's always been around 7db and over 200k shaved off the sync speed as a result.

Consequently I received an e-mail today saying congrats my line is connected and activated bla bla, usual stuff about the dial-tone bits and also my line would undergo testing for 10 days. Very generic e-mail sent to real first time customers like I had a couple years back.

Looking at mysky, it says no line testing is in progress, but also my speeds are missing and each of the links are now set to the help pages, great!

My question for the group is, has anyone else gone through this mystery upgrade that talks only about voicemail and nothing else, and did it put your BB on DLM after this upgrade?

Any other feedback would be helpful, hoping it really has DLM as I really hate to get into it with the Customer Service bunch and fight to get my line back to the stability and speeds I used to enjoy.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Welwyn Garden City Exchange Upgrade - Questions!

It sounds like Sky has changed the kit in your exchange which you are connected to. It is normal to rerun DLM once such upgrades have taken place. The My Sky page can take about 3 days to be updated, so don't worry about that for now.

This update may be liked to the fact that FTTC is available in WGC or just to increase the capacity of the kit that is there.

If you could post your router's stats, it may be useful to see what happen over the net week or two:

How to get your Sky Router statistics

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

BTO are definitely installing FTTC cabinets in parts of Welwyn Garden City, I walk passed several of them each morning on my way into the town centre. Not living here, I can't comment on whether they are yet in operation.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the OP has been transferred to Sky's SVBN equipment, which necessitates the running of DLM. Some have reported a slight decrease in download and an increase in upload when this has been done, but it depends on the individual line. There is every chance that the new DLM settings will give a better download speed than previously.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.