Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lack of fibre action in the stoke-on-trent area

This is a discussion on Lack of fibre action in the stoke-on-trent area within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Morning all im wondering if there are any users on here from the stoke-on-trent area who cant get cable at ...

thecarer1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: longton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Lack of fibre action in the stoke-on-trent area

Morning all

im wondering if there are any users on here from the stoke-on-trent area who cant get cable at all and feel like the internet providers arent doing enough for the area

now i rang virgin media about 8 years ago and asked them if they had any plans for laying down cable in my area but they said no but i know if they did then everyone in my area would snap up the chance to get cable

now i know that sky are rolling out fibre optic out in a few months time but i certainly wont be getting to excited about this because nothing gets done around here whatsoever

would be nice as well to hear from other users in this country who think the same as me

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Lack of fibre action in the stoke-on-trent area

According to SamKnows Virgin does now have a presence in your area. It is common for them not to cable up all the streets and cul-de-sacs though.

As for BTO rolling out Fibre, about every 2-3 months they have been announcing a list of new telephone exchanges that will be added to the upgrade path. Sadly your exchange is not currently any current list, so you will have to be patient.

The have been tasked with upgrading all the exchanges in due course by 2020 to be able to cope with Fibre. Yours will be completed in due course, we just can't say when at this time.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply scubbie

yes you are correct that virgin are in my area but not cable.... but less than a mile down the road from me they can get it

now as everyone can see that virgin are doubling there speed up to their existing customers but dont you think it would be logical to invest more money into people who cant get cable at all

now ive got a relative who lives about 45 mins away from me and virtually lives close to the hills and the town that she close to is what i would call a ghost town cause really nothing really happens there but she can get fast speeds with virgin and i noticed last night that there exchange is going to be upgraded this year

i just cant see any logic at all with the internet providers laying down this cable

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Nearly a mile away you say? Virgin's cable passes my home, feeds all the houses across the road from me and just down the road too, they also feed various other homes surrounding me. However they won't cable where I live, not that I want their service anyway you understand.

It used to be that Sky targeted Council estates as they were selling Sky TV on the whole to those areas.

I don't know what BTO's or Virgin's marketing plans are with regards to rolling out Fibre & Cable respectively, but I am sure that you will get something in due course.

This time last year I was in the same situation as you in that I didn't know what was happening. At the end of last year BTO confirmed that my exchange will be upgraded to house FTTC at some stage this year, but there is no fixed dates available. I am sure that your exchange will be upgraded in due course.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

oh well ill just have to play the waiting game wont i

just found out as well that sky are only giving out fibre optic cable to only the ones whos exchanges and cabinets have been already upgraded

so god only knows when my area will ever be done

UseLess is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Demon
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & Sky+
      Thanks

Greetings,

I feel your frustration.

Where I live there's a dual carriageway running past it with a cable trunk that feeds various places but not the town I live in. Also when there was such a thing as NTL they put conduit in to take fibre cables but never actually got around to putting the cables in.

They did this in a few places around the town so part of the infrastructure is there just missing the important bits.
      Quote:
      Life is like a toilet roll, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes....

SkyUser Pinger | Password Generator | Test Socket

Thanks

lol Useless

looks like me and you are suffering from the same situation because ive got a dual carriageway just down from me and i think thats why my area wont be ever done

thinking of ringing virgin 8 years on from my 1st call to them and ask them whats going on but ive got a funny feeling that they wont be coming around this area at all

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Virgin rub both across the enterance to my street and down the back, with virgin street cab less than 20 paces away from my house... but they wont lay any new cable.... yet everyweek they post junk mail through my door...

To be honest, Im glad sky have a fibre products now... it may encourage virgin to revist streets but it maybe too late...