Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fttc

This is a discussion on Fttc within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so Sky are gonna lose a lot of customers if they don't pull their finger out? My town luckily ...

BuckleZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Londonderry Waterside
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fttc

Ok so Sky are gonna lose a lot of customers if they don't pull their finger out?

My town luckily is going to have 100% FTTC by 30th June, my cabinet went in last week and is showing as live and i can order FTTC services now....

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 36Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.8Mbps.
      Is there any update on Sky doing a FTTC product? I am really keen to get the lower pings and increased upload and i'm willing to move back to BT for this.... as i have tried a few mates infinity connections and they are sweet. My ping to a UK server is 36ms (average) and they are getting well over 10ms less and the speeds are consistant.

I'd hate to leave Sky, but what is taking them so long??
      BT Infinity

2. Advertisement
      preetkk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Fttc

I want to know the same.

My exchange has been Infinity enabled for a few months now. Come Sky hurry up!

even talktalk are in the FTTC game

BuckleZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Londonderry Waterside
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yeah if TalkTalk can get out there with a product why not Sky......cmon Sky.... We don't want to have to leave you!
      BT Infinity

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

look i know alot of people want fibre i do but clearly its taken ages to do one area let alone the whole country

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      look i know alot of people want fibre i do but clearly its taken ages to do one area let alone the whole country
      There are clearly two issues going on:

1. When will an individual home be able to obtain an FTTC or FTTP connection
      2. When will Sky launch a Fibre-based broadband product range

The OP was asking the 2nd question.

With regards to the first, BT have promised to have 2/3rds of the country will have access to FTTC or FTTP by 2015.

All the exchanges in Northern Ireland have been upgraded, but not every home there has access to a cabinet which has Fibre. Does BT class this as 100% coverage or does it consider that it is shy of this?

Areas such as Shetland Islands, Isle of Lewis, Rural parts of Dorset, Cornwall and many many more, all are crying out for basic broadband connections and reasonable speeds, let alone FTTC. I very much expect these areas to be left to very late to be fibred up fully.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

hum yea bt are only doing certain areas and are only doing a few cabinets but clearly more money is needed to upgrade the rest the ones who are left behind

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I would just like to point out that BT Infinity and BT Broadband have one major weak point in the link.

They are both provided by BT.

I'm with BT Broadband, and despite having excellent attenuation figures and sync rate, I cannot get anything more than 3Mb of actual throughput.

I can get BT Infinity as of September 2011, and despite the claim of around 32Mb for my line - I flat out refuse to have any association with BT Broadband.

Our contract is fortunately up this month - and Sky is where I'm coming back to (My Dad has Sky from when I lived at home... 16Mb and 2 years on rock solid internet. I'm hoping for around the same)

Thanks

Re: FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      I would just like to point out that BT Infinity and BT Broadband have one major weak point in the link.

They are both provided by BT.
      I'm glad someone else said it for once .

Unfortunately there are only two companies that do not use the local BTO Engineers for it's main BB product line, Virgin & Kingston Communications (Hull). Everyone else either resells BT Wholesale or has LLU equipment in the local Telephone Exchange.

There are some small localised telecoms companies who have Fibred up some specific areas. How they connect to the telephone system will vary, but I suspect that they will use a telephone exchange at some point.

The major advantage of LLU equipment, including Sky's, is that once the connection is at the telephone exchange, it can take the firm's personal route to a specific server centre.

This means that the owner of the LLU equipment is free to set it's own conditions and price packages as it desires.

On the technical side Sky's product is reasonably reliable. Outages are periodically experienced on a national basis. In the past month, the effects of one outage lasted a few days. Communication was poor, but it was fixed. Most others were fixed within a few hours.

Check this section of the forum for more info on BB:

Sky Broadband Service Status

Where it has affected Sky Talk, the posts appear in this section:

Sky Talk

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

We were originally given an estimate of March 2011 for FTTC, then September, now I've just noticed its gone completely from the Samknows site. However, when I googled it, I came across this:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...oming_soon.pdf

Which now states June for my exchange.

Even if/when Sky gets in on the act I'm not sure we'd go for it, simply because we've been told (by the extremely reliable!! BT) that the lines in our street (ie, from the cabinet to the house) are in poor condition and deteriorating, so I'm not sure how much benefit we'd get.

I try to have as little as possible to do with BT after they mucked up our telephone bills, then when we transferred calls to Sky, our line rental bills. We since transferred line rental to Sky too. Our connection speed with BT, we were told, would be a maximum of 2Mb - we achieve double that on Sky's equipment.

If/when Sky does do fibre ... will it be similar? ie, will the fibre be on Sky's own equipment? Or will they have to rely on BT's equipment?

Thanks

That's a nice document, but my exchange is still not listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      ...I try to have as little as possible to do with BT after they mucked up our telephone bills, then when we transferred calls to Sky, our line rental bills. We since transferred line rental to Sky too. Our connection speed with BT, we were told, would be a maximum of 2Mb - we achieve double that on Sky's equipment.

If/when Sky does do fibre ... will it be similar? ie, will the fibre be on Sky's own equipment? Or will they have to rely on BT's equipment?
      I appreciate your delemare with regards to BT. BTO are a separate entity though and currently Sky has to use BTO to connection your telephone line to their equipment in the BTO Telephone Exchange.

As for whether Sky will be able to deliver Fibre without deferring to BTO's fibre or copper lines, is currently uncertain. Sky did announce a few months ago that it intended to trial a system to have access to BT's poles & ducts. In the mean time other ISPs are challenging the prices structure.

thinkbroadband :: Ofcom may be forced to set pricing for access to BT's poles and Ducts

Whilst looking for that story, I came across this really nice one:

thinkbroadband :: BT scan and notify customers of potential safety issue

BT have very little respect for our privacy it seems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast