Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help, why 4mb when exchange supports up to 8mb

This is a discussion on Help, why 4mb when exchange supports up to 8mb within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am thinking of switching to Sky Mid package ( currently on Virgin L - 2.5mb for 25 is too ...

freefall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hartburn
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help, why 4mb when exchange supports up to 8mb

I am thinking of switching to Sky Mid package ( currently on Virgin L - 2.5mb for 25 is too much). When I check what speed I can get, sky says up to 4mb - yet the exchange supports 8mb and I am only 1.7km from the exchange. Am I missing something or do sky give very conservative estimates and I can hope for more?

SkyUser - Exchange Checker
      Exchange Information

* Name: Hartburn
      * Code: NEHRT
      * Post Code: TS197PP

Your Available Services

* You can receive Sky / Easynet LLU
      * You can receive BT ADSL BT xDSL
      * You can receive BT ADSL Max BT xDSL
      * You cannot receive AOL LLU
      * You can receive Be LLU
      * You cannot receive Carphone Warehouse LLU
      * You can receive NTL Cable

Freefall

2. Advertisement
      jwruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolsover
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help, why 4mb when exchange supports up to 8mb

The key phrase is 'up to 8mb'. What speed to you currently get with Virgin and what are the stats from your router at the moment (which will help determine what speed you'll be able to get)?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am on cable - no router so no stats. I understand line quality etc can affect speed, but as a general guide i thought I would get more than 4mb when only 1.7 Km from the exchange. My concern is am I missing something, does the exchange only support up to 4mb for some reason regardless of how close and how good your line is. Is there a hope of more than 4mb? I was hoping for 6mb. if it down to Sky then perhaps i would be better off looking at BE?

Freefall

jwruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolsover
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Without stats then this could be tricky. How long is a piece of string and all that??

I was on an upto 8meg package and although I sync'd at 7.5meg I was only getting around 5.5meg. I moved to Sky and got LLU'd and now I get a 12meg sync with around 11meg on speedtests even though the estimates I got said upto 15meg was possible.

How friendly are you with your neighbours? It might be worth asking if they've got DSL b/band and see what kind of speed they get.

The other thing to consider is the distance to the exchange. 1.7km is likely to be 'as the crow flies', but there's always a chance that the cabling will go 'around the houses' before it reaches you.

I'm pretty sure that there's a cooling off period with the Sky broadband. Maybe try it and see what it's like??

chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
      I am on cable - no router so no stats. I understand line quality etc can affect speed, but as a general guide i thought I would get more than 4mb when only 1.7 Km from the exchange. My concern is am I missing something, does the exchange only support up to 4mb for some reason regardless of how close and how good your line is. Is there a hope of more than 4mb? I was hoping for 6mb. if it down to Sky then perhaps i would be better off looking at BE?

Freefall
      The speed you get with Sky would be the same as any other 8mb ADSL service as the distance from the exchange does not change. You might expect to get more than 4mb sync speed given your distance, however, the actual length of the cable may be more than double your straight line distance to the exchange.

If anything, they would make an estimate below what you might be capable of getting so that they have less disappointed customers so 6mb may well be a possibility for you.

Also to take into consideration is that Virgin is a cable service and so runs on a seperate system from your phone line, therefore, with an ADSL service you may well have extra noise from your internal wiring that lowers your speed (which obviously cannot be estimated by Sky).

However, there are things that can be done to overcome this and people will be more than happy to advise you about that on this site once you get connected if you choose to go with Sky.

Hope this helps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies. As i have said I understand ther is no guarantee ( line lengthg quality etc) it was just the statement from sky of " up to 4mb" when it is an 8mb exchange that bothered me. Be just state I can get speeds of up to 24mb.

chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As far as I know, nothing apart from line length would stop you getting over 4mb.

Feel free to correct me anyone else.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
      Thanks for the replies. As i have said I understand ther is no guarantee ( line lengthg quality etc) it was just the statement from sky of " up to 4mb" when it is an 8mb exchange that bothered me. Be just state I can get speeds of up to 24mb.
      They are simply doing a line test to give you an estimate. Normally it is very accurate - don't read anything into it other thatn them being helpful.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services: