Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anytime+ without HD Subscription

This is a discussion on Anytime+ without HD Subscription within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I've had HD boxes since the first years of its release. I had HD subscription for a couple of years ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Anytime+ without HD Subscription

I've had HD boxes since the first years of its release. I had HD subscription for a couple of years but when I dropped Sports and Movies I also dropped HD because there was little covered.

Later on I reconsidered putting HD subcription back but by then I had multiroom with a second HD box so as that would have cost be 20 per month I didn't bother.

I think they have dropped the extra HD subscriptions for multi-room but not absolutely sure, but even so I've resisted, because to be honest at the distance we view the TV the difference between HD and SD isn't that great.

But recently I've been playing with Anytime+ and noticed a problem. Many of the programmes that I have downloaded are HD so when I try and view them I can't. The problem is when I go back and look at the descriptions in Anytime+ I can't tell whether a programme is HD or SD - I have to download to find out.

Secondly, it's rather annoying that many programmes aren't available in SD on Anytime+ even though they are in live programming.

Am I missing a trick somewhere, or is my assessment pretty much correct?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Anytime+ without HD Subscription

There are some charts available on the Internet to show the recommended viewing distance for a HD TV from where you are sitting. Obviously cost will be a factor that will influence people and may mean that a compromise is in order.

The recommended distance is 2.5 to 3 times the diagonal. So a 40" TV would ideally be placed between 80" to 100" (2.54m to 3.05m) from where you sit. sound quality is another issue for many too. True 5.1 surround sound is only available on the HD channels.

If you have removed the HD pack, then it should have been removed from all your STBs automatically. From last September the HD pack was automatically applied to all suitable STBs on the account. Previously you had to add it for each individual STB.

As for Anytime+, there is actually more SD content than HD content. Anytime/Showcase has mostly HD content on the Sly+ HD STB, but I thought that they had fixed this so that if you don't have the HD pack that you would be provided SD content. It may be that your current contents will change next month if you have only just removed the HD pack.

If you navigate to the tab 'All' you should see a who list of programming material in both HD and SD. Any HD content will be available from the relevant HD channel (i.e. Sky Movies HD). SD content doesn't have the HD suffix.

I am assuming that your STB is connected to your router. If it isn't then you won't have Anytime+, you will only have Anytime. With all the changes going on I would certainly recommend that any Sky+ HD STBs are connected to the Internet if you package allows for the downloads.

Note for those on Sky Broadband Connect: Anytime+ apparently doesn't count as a part of your monthly limit

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Anytime+ without HD Subscription

The HD and SD versions are shown in the 'All' category. You can also tell by the size of the download, a 45min program in SD will be 5-600Mb, in HD it will be around 2 Gb+. The biggest complaint is that there is not enough HD available in Anytime+ and what is, is nearly always Movies or Sport.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.