Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

BBC iPlayer to launch in Autumn

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer to launch in Autumn within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Since Sky are already charging for some of their Anytime+ material, the Sky+ HD STBs would ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: BBC iPlayer to launch in Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Since Sky are already charging for some of their Anytime+ material, the Sky+ HD STBs would be able to handle and BBC iPlayer content which is chargeable.

As for any other product, it wouldn't take much to add a requirement for an account with the BBC in order to pay for any extra material, in much the same way as LoveFilm or Netflix.
      Agreed. It's therefore very odd that the Beeb is introducing a complete new technology (YouView) that has no integrated payment mechanism. Paradoxically the Sky system is set up to accept payments as a default. I think it illustrates the Beebs very confused thinking on the YouView project.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Just to be clear, YouView is a partnership (BBC, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV, Arquva, BT and TalkTalk).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouView
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I'm just trying to find any reference on YouView to there being a requirement to pay for content.

Other than any potential applications (i.e. LoveFilm or Netflix) which could be added, there is no reference to BBC iPlayer being a subscription or pay on demand service.

I do recall that the BBC did want to start charging people outside the UK for access to BBC iPlayer. Is this perhaps what you are getting confused with?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm just trying to find any reference on YouView to there being a requirement to pay for content.

Other than any potential applications (i.e. LoveFilm or Netflix) which could be added, there is no reference to BBC iPlayer being a subscription or pay on demand service.

I do recall that the BBC did want to start charging people outside the UK for access to BBC iPlayer. Is this perhaps what you are getting confused with?
      Here is a report of the article which appeared in Broadcast magazine early this year. I suspect there is nothing more to it than a bit of future-gazing by the Beeb.

BBC mulls iPlayer fees for archives, repeats ? The Register

Thanks

No problem. Some might get upset with the BBC charging for something which they have previously paid for through the TV License fee though if they ever did bring this into being.

As previously stated, it would be relatively easy to get all the various applications updated so that people would need an account, although it would be a large task if it were left to a small team to do this.

Another aspect would be the need to improve the user interface. I find it very poor at present and it would need to be improved greatly if people are to be able to search what might be a humongous archive.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Some might get upset with the BBC charging for something which they have previously paid for through the TV License fee though if they ever did bring this into being.
      You have to remember the BBC today isn't the BBC of 25 years ago. Nowadays they make few programmes themselves and many are commissioned by the BBC but never owned by them. So whilst the Beeb can show for a limited number of times (and run on iPlayer for 7 days) they can't offer them as archives. So many programmes we associate with the BBC would need a fee paying to the Content owners everytime it is viewed.

So whilst the Beeb could show a limited number of programmes it totally owns for either 'free' or for a 'fee' they would almost certainly have to pay for each viewing of archives of many other programmes. All of which is where the average viewer gets very confused and says 'but I've already paid for that'.

Personally I'd expect anything that was premiered on the Beeb to be available to long suffering License Fee payers for free as the Beeb probably paid the massive original bill for making the programme.

Lexden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is there any further information available on whether BBC Player/ITV Player will be programme downloads to the HD rather than streaming? Downloading is a more attractive option for me as my ISP has peak/off-peak bandwidth quotas.

Thanks

We believe that in the next round of Beta testing the new EPG this function will be added.

Hopefully the next round will start in August with a September/October roll-out.

Like with the current roll-out of the new EPG, we will keep our members informed and let everyone know what to expect.

Lexden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

We believe that in the next round of Beta testing the new EPG this function will be added.

Hopefully the next round will start in August with a September/October roll-out.

Like with the current roll-out of the new EPG, we will keep our members informed and let everyone know what to expect.
      Thanks - but are you saying that you expect it to be On Demand downloading or streaming for IPlayer? If it is the latter, then the cost/benefit equation moves firmly away from Sky as I can access both on my TV at the moment. If programmes can be downloaded and stored then this sits better with the broadband package that I am on.

Thanks

Until the next Beta trial starts I am not in a position to be able to comment on this.

I would however suspect that it would be more likely to be similar to the current system. I would agree with you in that it would be a better system, especially for those who only have a limited bandwidth.

However with the SkyHD STB would it be tied to only being able to stream BBC iPlayer content from the Sky+ HD STB or would it be able to stream BBC iPlayer content live of the BBC servers? This is certainly one which we shall have to wait for an answer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast