Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Homeplugs or wireless

This is a discussion on Homeplugs or wireless within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; i have ordered sky fire unlimited so my internet speed will go from 0.8mb to 40 mb so i will ...

gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Homeplugs or wireless

i have ordered sky fire unlimited so my internet speed will go from 0.8mb to 40 mb so i will now connect sky anytime+

which is the best way to go. I am worried that one of the cheap Type G wireless bridges wont be able to keep up so was looking at the netgear Wireless N bridge. will this slow down with other wireless souces eg pc, phone, xbox connected

Or am i better getting a pair of 200mb home plugs that will avoid any interference

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Homeplugs or wireless

Personally I would suggest that you should go for the HomePlugs. Provided that you electrical wiring is fine, there should be no problem.

If you have an Xbox, TV and the Sky+ HD STB all needing a connection, then either get on which has multiple LAN ports of get a Network Switch as well. They would all be able to happily share the same connection to your router.

The Netgear WNCE2001 would provide a WiFi connection on the Sagem 2504N at up to 144mbps. From reading various comments on the forum though, Xboxs and PS3s often don't perform too well on WiFi. This device can work at up to 300mbps.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I can't praise HomePlugs highly enough. Their a fantastic product and a great solution to networking in the home. I've been using them for a few years now and if you want the best connection, they really do the job.
      PS. I don't work for HomePlugs.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Homeplugs or wireless

thanks for your help

sounds like the netgear would stream enough but with 2 x laptops / 2 x phones / Xbox and possibly a ipad on the wireless network it may suffer so i think i will go with the homeplugs, both sockets are on the downstairs ring main in a 10 yr old house so dont expect any problems

Now that i am going from 0.8mb to 40mb i want to make sure i use the best / fastest connection.

might save the wireless for sky go on a ipad , connected to the upstairs TV so i casn watch the footy / F1 when my son is watching \spongebob.