Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Standard set up fee ?

This is a discussion on Standard set up fee ? within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Can anyone explain what the standard set up fee of 60 is for when upgrading my older HD+ box to ...

kwalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horley, Surrey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Standard set up fee ?

Can anyone explain what the standard set up fee of 60 is for when upgrading my older HD+ box to a 1TB box?

I thought the Anytime+ service was free to all existing customers!

Tried unsuccessfully to get an explanation from a SKY rep. on chat today, but all I could get was "It's the set up fee for Anytime+"

Thanks

Keith

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Standard set up fee ?

Anytime+ is a free service.

If you are having you Sky+ HD STB swapped over, then you will be paying for the Installation engineer's time. He may also need to swap the LNB over for a new one. Some do have issues if they are too old.

They will also check the coaxial leads and the F-Plug connectors for any obvious damage where they are working. I wouldn't expect them to check the coax outside or the F-Plugs on the LNB, unless they were to replace the LNB.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No, I'm not having anything changed - nada! - it's just a box swap
      I've been told the Thompson box I have won't work with Anytime+, and as it has a tendency to crash all the time (please don't follow up with reasons - I've heard them all) I decided the best thing was to upgrade my box

Cost of 1TB box 149 - Setup fee 60 ---- Eh?

Set up fee for what? - I already have Anytime+ according to SKY and I can already access it on my iPad with SKY GO - so what do they need 60 to set up? Oh I opted for self install at check out - so it isn't that either

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Anytime+ is a free service.

If you are having you Sky+ HD STB swapped over, then you will be paying for the Installation engineer's time. He may also need to swap the LNB over for a new one. Some do have issues if they are too old.

They will also check the coaxial leads and the F-Plug connectors for any obvious damage where they are working. I wouldn't expect them to check the coax outside or the F-Plugs on the LNB, unless they were to replace the LNB.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Ask them for Self setup, it will then only cost you 15 for the box delivery.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Ask them for Self setup, it will then only cost you 15 for the box delivery.
      Exactly what I did in the end, but I was only able to do it by phone - the on-line order process refused to remove the 60 set up fee even after I'd changed it to Self Setup

Chasloyal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodford
      Broadband ISP: O2 Home Broadband The All Rounder
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I got my 'self install' upgrade 1TB box for 49 + 15 postage a couple of months ago and I didn't even lose my half price subscription for up to a year deal either.

They said I was locked in to a year for the new box but seeing it had only been a couple of weeks since i re-connected from the up to 12 months half price invite I would keep my cheap sub for over 11 months and revert to full price sub for the last 2-3 weeks.

Of course come a month before the end of this one year contract I'll whack my disconnection notice in, go without Sky for a month when it kicks in, and then wait the 30 days for the system to generate the "Dear Chas, we miss your money so much that we want you to return for up to another year at half price again, love Rupert" letter.

Times are hard so it is a buyers market out there, even with what mighty global players like Sky are willing to give their customers. It has worked every time for the last 4 years that I've been doing it.
      Last edited by Chasloyal; 13-04-12 at 06:53 PM.