Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Stupid Anytime+ download question..

This is a discussion on Stupid Anytime+ download question.. within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi all, While I wait for Sky to sort out their fibre broadband I thought I'd bite the bullet and ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stupid Anytime+ download question..

Hi all,

While I wait for Sky to sort out their fibre broadband I thought I'd bite the bullet and finally plug in the wireless Sky Anytime+ box, wired it all up, works just fine as far as I can see..

A question thought, I assumed it was like the Xbox 360 version, but it's different as it downloads material onto your Sky+HD box, and this brings me to the question, where does it download the programme to? I assume it deletes all the Anytime material and puts the new downloaded Anytime+ material onto that half of the hard drive?

TIA

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Stupid Anytime+ download question..

The old Anytime has been renamed 'Showcase' and will still be recorded in the background off a hidden sat channel.

Anything that you download or record off the sat for yourself is taken from your allocated space on the drive.

If you think that you want more space, look at the guides on this forum to replace the hard drive. Any of the Sky+ HD STBs which support Anytime+ can all be upgraded to either a 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB drive.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Lino (08-04-12)

Chasloyal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodford
      Broadband ISP: O2 Home Broadband The All Rounder
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Hi all,

having broken my foot rushing down the stairs for a train at my local tube station earlier this week I've found myself fiddling around with my gadgets a whole lot more than I usually would and was busy downloading the 5 available episodes of Boardwalk Empire in SD, the complete series 1 and 2 of Idiot Abroad in HD overnight/this morning and am now cracking on with the complete season 1 of Game of Thrones in HD on to my fairly recently purchased 1TB box upgrade so I think my question would suit this thread. I am alright with tech to a degree but I'm no expert or anorak so please be gentle with me if I'm asking lame questions here.

My broadband package is The All Rounder on O2 and according to them I have 'truly unlimited downloads' so I'm sure I'll be putting that boast to the test whilst filling up my new Sky box with the content I want on there. My only real gripe is how long it is all taking, alas my ISP doesn't do fibre yet but I'm more than happy with them to be fair and my speed average is around 6.0 mbps whenever I do a test regardless of what time it is whenever I check it, so no sign of deliberate slow down during peak times, well not in my immediate locality anyway.

At that average download speed of 6.0mbps how many gb should I be managing to download in an hour and how many gigs does an average hour of HD content take up as regards the storage space it will take up on my 1TB capacity?

1 tb equates to 1024gb, I'm assuming that's correct from what I was reading on a tech calculator thing earlier, I'm trying to work out how much of my storage space will be taken up as it's not going down much at all, even though there are 2 and a half seasons of shows in HD that have gone on there since last night, along with quite a lot of stuff I have already recorded over the last couple of months since I got this box, almost seems to good to be true, could there be a software glitch with my available space counter display in my EPG?

I know a certain amount of that storage was saved for the old SKY Anytime content but is that still the case seeing everything on Sky Anytime+ seems to require downloading by choice rather than having already been piped through to my box like it was before I was able to subscribe to the service?

And most importantly, will my connection speed be too slow for online gaming on my XBOX a bit later on when of course I'll still be downloading HD content on to my Sky box?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

What you could do is look at the size of the file that you are going to download. Set a stopwatch and time it to completion.

There must be some on-line calculators to help work out your connection speed from there. The fun thing that I have found is that it does vary between downloads so any tests are subject to huge variations.

As for affecting you Xbox, any downloading will affect other activity on your connection. From what I understand the Xbox doesn't send a large amount of data, but it does like what it sends to be sent quickly. Your downloads will affect this traffic.

If you had a good Fibre connection, then you wouldn't notice as many issues though.

Thanks

I have been trying to find a calculator site for that specific question but no such luck, just some real technical gear with untold numbers, measures and abbreviations that was all too much for a relative idiot like my good self lol

At this precise moment I am Game of Thrones episode 3, it was saying 94% complete with programme size 15.99gb then I backed up to collapsed listing and watched Sky News for about 10-15 minutes, opened it back up again just now and it says 99% complete with programme size 15.23gb, I'm confused?

I would like fibre and they assure me it is coming so I will get it when that time arrives but I can easily get by with the speeds I'm getting at the minute for what I use the net for and have never been tempted to leave O2 home broadband since I joined them a couple of years ago for a few reasons so won't be running back to Sky or migrating to BT just to get fibre.

Thanks

And it just finished downloading episode 3 and moved on to episode 4 in the last minute or two saying download is 87% complete with programme size 20.14gb, erm just gone to 88% still with 20.14gb right in front of my eyes so really really confused by this process, never mind the stats it displays?

Thanks

Ok, I suspect that you are quoting the wrong figures for the file size. I wanted to double check, but a HD film that is around 1 1/2 hours long is under 5GB is size.

I took a look and found that Sky has finally put The Colour of Magic up in HD. Previously it was there, but SD only. Episode 1, 97 minutes, is 5.52GB is size. Episode 2, 93 minutes long, is 4.35GB is size.

As for the calculators, I found one that does require a little work: DSL ZoneUK - Download / Upload time calculator

You can put in the speed and it will provide an estimate of the speed. With a little work you could narrow it down to the approximate speed, which would be fine as they will vary periodically.

Thanks

Thank you most kindly for the very useful info, it has literally just finished downloading episode 5 and moved on to 6 in the last minute or so. I guess we're looking around a 24 hour period to download both seasons of An Idiot Abroad in HD and The Game of Thrones first season in HD by around the time it will be done tonight then which probably ain't that bad for so much content on a standard broadband connection. Thanks again, now for a bath and then some XBOX or PS3 before the new South Park at 10!