Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

No Anytime+ (possibly router issues??)

This is a discussion on No Anytime+ (possibly router issues??) within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi, I'm hoping I can pick someone's brains on this please! My husband painstakingly spent hours fitting an ethernet cable ...

Bluenose74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No Anytime+ (possibly router issues??)

Hi, I'm hoping I can pick someone's brains on this please! My husband painstakingly spent hours fitting an ethernet cable yesterday from our Netgear DGN2000 router to our Sky HD+ (the new black one) box in anticipation of watching Anytime+. (We're not on Sky broadband), we have an excellent broadband connection, I confirmed my order on-line yesterday afternoon with Sky for Anytime+ which was accepted & once the cable was connected from the router to the Sky box a message came up on the screen to confirm that a broadband connection had been detected and to press 'SELECT', which I did but nothing happened. Anytime remains as normal and nothing has changed. I have spoken with Sky repeatedly and received various responses which hasn't resulted in anything moving on any further. Also, in SERVICES, NETWORK, the following settings appear:
      Local conncetion FAIL
      Service Connection FAIL
      IP address 0.0.0.0 and DCHP keeps changing from ON to OFF

In OPTIONS, CUSTOMISE, Broadband settings is set to ON. I am wondering if the firewall settings on my router are affecting the Sky box and if I may need to adjust something in the firewall settings? I'm with Aol, but Sky didn't think that would affect the problem?? Hoping someone out there has an idea? Thanking you in advance.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: No Anytime+ (possibly router issues??)

Sounds like you have done everything correctly (ordering and cabling). Maybe try re-booting the Sky+HD box? Also double check via MySky that Anytime+ is definitely now active on your account?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Bluenose74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thanks for your help Speedyrite, I have already re-booted the Sky box and I definitely have the Anytime+ package on my account. We also tested the ethernet cable with my laptop and that's working OK too. Just an update - after some further jiggerpokery, the SERVICES, NETWORK screen now says: SERVICE CONNECTION FAIL & DCHP OFF. We've managed to get a local connection and an IP address sorted. I still believe it's something to do with the router - possibly the firewall??? Any more help gratefully received, many thanks

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You shouldn't have to do anything with the router.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

One more thing to check on the Sky+HD box: have you got "Broadband Network Connection" set to ON (press "Services" on the remote, go to the "Settings" tab then select the "Customise" tab)?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      One more thing to check on the Sky+HD box: have you got "Broadband Network Connection" set to ON (press "Services" on the remote, go to the "Settings" tab then select the "Customise" tab)?
      Isn't that automatic when you connect an Ethernet cable?

For some reason the Sky+ HD STB in this case isn't getting an IP Address allocated by the router. With this in mind, resetting the STB may help (i.e. power it off or power it off completely at the mains, then turn it on again). An alternative option would be to manually set the IP Address for the STB.

Remember when setting the address manually to place it clear of the allocated addresses so as to avoid any conflicts. One example might be 192.168.0.240, provided 192.168.0.xxx is the correct range for your router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Isn't that automatic when you connect an Ethernet cable?
      Not sure, it's such a long time since I did my set-up! Just thought it's one more simple thing to check before going on to more complex troubleshooting.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With this in mind, resetting the STB may help (i.e. power it off or power it off completely at the mains, then turn it on again). An alternative option would be to manually set the IP Address for the STB.
      I think the OP has already rebooted the Sky+HD, but I agree with you and would recommend that the OP tries it again using the "cold/hard" restart method you have suggested (as opposed to the "warm/soft" restart method of turning it off then on again using the ON/OFF button on the remote which probably does not do a full reboot).

Would you post the method for manually setting the IP address on the Sky+HD please (to help the OP)? I don't have access to my Sky+HD right now.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Would you post the method for manually setting the IP address on the Sky+HD please (to help the OP)? I don't have access to my Sky+HD right now.
      Using the remote control press the following buttons:

<Service> <Right> <Down> 6 <Down> <Green> {type in all required numbers} <Green> to save the settings.

You will now need to enter the IP Address, Subnet mask, Gateway Router address and the DNS Server address. The following are suggested for a standard Sky router, but other routers may have other IP Address ranges:
      • IP Address: 192.168.0.240
      • Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      • Gateway Router: 192.168.0.1
      • DNS: 8.8.8.8

I have chosen the end number for the IP Address so as not to clash with most routers and automatically allocated addresses, but please adjust if you have something else already at this address. The first three parts of the IP Address will differ with different routers. Different ISPs typically stick to different numbers, but they can be changed and defaults vary between routers. Use the 'ipconfig' command if you are unsure.

The Subnet is pretty standard for most home installations across all ISPs. If you are unsure, please use the 'ipconfig' command to find out what yours is.

Gateway Router is the IP Address of your router. BT Retail uses 192.168.1.254 in their HomeHubs, others ISPs use a whole range of addresses between them. If you are unsure, again use the 'ipconfig' command.

DNS: I've picked Google's public DNS server. Why? Easy to remember and type. Anyone is free to use any other DNS Server, but I refrained from using Sky's DNS Server address as this is meant as a guide for people not on Sky's broadband.

I have mentioned the 'ipconfig' command a couple of times. The following has been lifted from the guide on linking two routers together featured elsewhere on this forum:

5. To find out your Router’s address, it will vary depending on your operating system. For Microsoft Windows XP see #6. The following instructions are for Windows Vista & Windows 7:
      For Windows Vista & Windows 7
      1. Click the round Windows Icon
      2. In the search box, type ‘run’
      3. Select ‘Run’ from the list
      4. Type ‘cmd’ into the box and click <OK>
      5. Maximise the new window and type ‘ipconfig’ at the C Prompt and press <Return>
      6. Under the heading for ‘Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection’ the ‘Default Gateway’. In the picture below, this is 192.168.0.1 . This is also the address of your router

No Anytime+ (possibly router issues??)-ethernet-adapter.jpg

6. For Windows XP...
      1. Click the ‘Start’ icon, then click ‘Run’ from the menu
      2. Type ‘cmd’ into the box and click <OK>
      3. Maximise the new window and type ‘ipconfig’ at the C Prompt and press <Return>
      No Anytime+ (possibly router issues??)-ipconfig.jpg
      Under the heading for ‘Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection’ the ‘Default Gateway’. In picture 4, this is 192.168.0.1 . This is also the address of your router
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Bluenose74 (31-03-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Can you make sure UPnP is turned on in your router?

I am wondering if some ISP will put obstacles in the way of Anytime+ to 'protect' their network, maybe block the ports it uses?
      speedyrite likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast