Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homeplugs, Hubs and Anytime+

This is a discussion on Homeplugs, Hubs and Anytime+ within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Currently I have 4 Homeplugs in the house - one connected to my router, one to the Sky box, one ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Homeplugs, Hubs and Anytime+

Currently I have 4 Homeplugs in the house - one connected to my router, one to the Sky box, one to the DVD player (which streams iplayer etc) and one to a computer.

I'm trying to set up another computer and failing miserably at getting it connected wirelessly, so I thought I'm nick one of the Homeplugs I have next to the TV and simply put a hub there instead.

So now I have a Homeplug connected to a hub, which has 5 network connections on it ... and have connected both the Sky box and the DVD to the hub.

But I can't get the Sky box connected to the internet through the hub.

I can connect to the internet using the hub from the DVD, on various sockets (just in case there was a dodgy one), I have also tried the Sky connection in various sockets on the hub - it just says there is no Home Network.

However, if I connect the Sky box directly into the Homeplug, it connects straight away. Does the Sky box just refuse to operate via a hub? Or is it particularly picky over the make (or age .. I've had it a while!).

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Homeplugs, Hubs and Anytime+

I use Homeplugs and my Sky+HD box connects via a hub without any problem. You might like to try giving the Sky box a static IP address, I had to do that for my grandsons XBox. Good luck.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It should connect through a switch with no problem. I have mine connected through a Dlink router, which is the same thing really. Have you tried plugging it in then go to the Network settings on the box and press the Red Reset button? You could also try powering the box off then on again. I have mine set with a fixed manual address you could try that also, something like 192.168.0.100 would do, with 255.255.255.0 subnet and 192.168.0.1 gateway.

Unless it is a very old switch capable of only 10mbps, I don't think the age has anything to do with it, especially if it connects other devices OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (20-02-12)

Thanks

Hmm ..it is rather old - i tried it streaming iplayer on my DVD and it had no problems though (on normal quality .. our connection is a bit hit n miss for HD streaming). I'll try switching it off n on again. I have tried the reset option. If that doesnt work, I'll try to set up a fixed ip - but i don't think it's a connection-to-the-network problem - as I said, I've used the same cable direct into homeplugs and it works straight off. Alternatively, I'l try connecting it to a wireless bridge. I suspect it may be the hub.

Come to think of it .. i have a spare router somewhere - I could try that instead....

Thanks for your help :-)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

If you could navigate to Settings -> Network, what do you get on the display?

If you do not have an IP Address, try reseting the connection by pressing <Down> then press <Red> to reset.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (20-02-12)

Thanks

It just said no connection found, or something similar .. and yes I tried resetting. But its sorted now ... it obviously wasn't happy with the hamster powered hub I was using. I've used a slightly-faster-rodent-powered router and it worked perfectly :P

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

is it a hub or a switch?

Thanks

um. oh .. i see .. a switch is just one connection, depending on which has priority? No this was a hub. It was an old one tho. I successfully got both working using an old router, but ditched it because it "whistled" quietly to itself when switched on. I successfully got an old Sky router working doing the same job, only quietly - but somehow it decided it would try to take over the network and was trying to set itself up as a replacement for the actual main router. Which confused all my other bits of equipment on the network :P

Rather than trying to fiddle about with it anymore, I just plugged the DVD direct into the Homeplug and the Sky box into one of the Sky wireless bridges I had ... we don't really use anytime much, but if needed I'll buy a proper hub when the time comes.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

A Network Switch would probably be a sensible idea. The one linked below is a 5-Port switch. I have a pair of 8-Port 1Gbit ports from TP-Link. Previously I used a 5-Port D-link Switch and never had any issues with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unma...9863656&sr=8-1

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

but somehow it decided it would try to take over the network and was trying to set itself up as a replacement for the actual main router.
      It would only do this if you did not disable its DHCP server. Do this and you will not have a problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (22-02-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast