Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

registering new (second hand)HD box

This is a discussion on registering new (second hand)HD box within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi there. You were all helpful last time so I am back for a bit more advise please. I have ...

Bolly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

registering new (second hand)HD box

Hi there.

You were all helpful last time so I am back for a bit more advise please.
      I have just received my Sky + hd box I bought off ebay. Its a Samsung 320gig 2009. Same as my other HD box.
      I have a few questions. First off what number would I ring to register my old Sky + card to my now new HD box. Seems to be many numbers on the website when you eventually find them!

My other question is that I have read on here somewhere about a reset of the box. Being second hand I don't know how long its been unused so it might benefit from a reset to have the latest software on it. I am also led to believe that a reset can format the HD. This might also be a good idea as perhaps the previous user has left their programs on it. So how to I do a reset and should I do that before or after I register the card?

I am hoping that because I already subscribe to HD and have a multiroom subscription that I will not have to pay any more to receive all the services. I want SKY anytime+ to work also and again heard rumours that you can only use it on one box.... I want to use it on two. I have a wireless bridge free to do this so I hope it can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Oh PS, what can you use the Sata port / socket on the back of the box for?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: registering new (second hand)HD box

Quote Originally Posted by Bolly View Post
      You were all helpful last time so I am back for a bit more advise please.
      Wasn't there a charge for this? (joking)

I have just received my Sky + hd box I bought off ebay. Its a Samsung 320gig 2009. Same as my other HD box.
      I have a few questions. First off what number would I ring to register my old Sky + card to my now new HD box. Seems to be many numbers on the website when you eventually find them!
      A simple phone call to Sky on any of their 08442 numbers should suffice. Try 08442 414141

Go through the options to upgrade your Sky TV and ask to pair your new STB with your viewing card.

You will need to be in the same room as the new STB, with it correctly connected, plugged in and with the viewing card inserted.

My other question is that I have read on here somewhere about a reset of the box. Being second hand I don't know how long its been unused so it might benefit from a reset to have the latest software on it. I am also led to believe that a reset can format the HD. This might also be a good idea as perhaps the previous user has left their programs on it. So how to I do a reset and should I do that before or after I register the card?
      You cannot perform any firmware upgrades until the pairing has been completed. When it has been done and everything has been enabled (check first) you can either leave the STB to do it automatically or you can force the firmware update.

To force the firmware update, unplug the STB from the mains, press and hold the <Backup> button on top of the STB. Reconnect the mains whilst you continue to hold the <Backup> button and wait until the LEDs light up on the front display. The update will take between 10-15 minutes to complete. Press the <Sky> button on your remote control to turn the STB back on afterwards.

To format the drive, you will need to go through the 'System Reset' procedure.

Using your remote control, press the following buttons:

<Services> <Right> <Down> 0 1 <Select> 8 <Down>

Follow the prompts from there on your screen. This is a 'destructive' process and will wipe all the contents off the drive, including any Anytime films that might be present.

I am hoping that because I already subscribe to HD and have a multiroom subscription that I will not have to pay any more to receive all the services. I want SKY anytime+ to work also and again heard rumours that you can only use it on one box.... I want to use it on two. I have a wireless bridge free to do this so I hope it can be done.
      When you pair your viewing card with the STB, politely ask that the following services are also enabled for this STB, occasionally they are forgotten:

• Sky+
      • Anytime+
      • HD

Oh PS, what can you use the Sata port / socket on the back of the box for?
      Sorry, but Sky still has not relented to allow us to use the two USB ports and the eSATA port. Currently all three do nothing. If they did, then perhaps we could connect external drives and USB memory sticks.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Bolly (07-02-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scubbie, Your a diamond! thanks. I will get this box fired up hopefully tonight., It is a shame the sockets are disabled via the firmware I was aware the Usb ports did not work as wanted them as a power source for my wireless bridge. I am at a loss as to why Sky would disable these features. Its our box after all we pay for it. I guess it must be something to do with copyright infringement on programs & films. I am surprised however that there is no hack written to enable them!
      After all if we want the programs off the HD we simply remove the hard drive and use Copy + software.

Once again thanks.

Thanks

My guess would be the big Movie production companies in the USA. They really are trying to close down so many options for anyone to watch something without them getting thousands of $$s first.

I am a little puzzled though as my Netgear NAS drive has an option to allow a Tivo box to use it as an extension for recording material on. I guess there is one rule for the Yanks and another for the Brits.

As for hacking the Sky STB firmwares, I haven't heard of anyone being able to do this myself and I would have hoped that something like this would have been posted on this forum by now.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think your right about one rule for us and another for them. It is more likely Sky wants the revenue rather than the movie production companies. Just annoys me and probably most on this forum that the boxes have these ports yet they are disabled. What was the point of supplying them. Would / does the engineer ever use or have access to them.

I guess for a hacker to do the firmware first of all needs access to the program and as all ports of entry are closed your stuck before your started. Unless you can get in via the phone line?

Never mind. At least I got a new HD + box for under 30 rather than the 199 sky want for the new one with a bigger hard drive. Once all set up all I need to do is start the ball rolling to complain about the complete crappy Sagam router I have. It can barely produce a signal to my upstairs and the routers only at the bottom of the stairs. I have never had such bad internet since I moved to Sky... Hey thats for another section of this forum hey.

Rant over!

Thanks

Once all set up all I need to do is start the ball rolling to complain about the complete crappy Sagam router I have. It can barely produce a signal to my upstairs and the routers only at the bottom of the stairs. I have never had such bad internet since I moved to Sky... Hey thats for another section of this forum hey.
      A pair of HomePlugs are far better than using WiFi for static items IMHO.

Also if you want a new WiFi hotspot and still have your old router, consider piggybacking it on to the Sagem 2504 router. Alternatively you could do what many of us have done and purchase your own router.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

After all if we want the programs off the HD we simply remove the hard drive and use Copy + software.
      Sky programs are encrypted so this will not work, this can only be done with the freebees like BBC..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well just an update, set it all up last night without any problems. Got anytime+ wired up too. yippee.
      Also gained all sky sports channels for free for 3 months which actually reduced my package cost by 2. I dont normally fall for the sales patter but the guy said "oh just ring on or before 7th April to cancel sports and you will not be charged for anything"
      Nice one.

So thanks Scubbie for your assistance.

Thanks

Well done on getting the extra package for three months. I don't think that Tom or I can claim any responsibility for that though.