Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anytime+ HD movies available a lot quicker?

This is a discussion on Anytime+ HD movies available a lot quicker? within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Anyone else noticed this? I went to check out a few HD downloads last night and found movies were available ...

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Anytime+ HD movies available a lot quicker?

Anyone else noticed this? I went to check out a few HD downloads last night and found movies were available to play in well under a minute on my 7 mbps(net) connection. Before, though SD was available in seconds, it was taking anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to get started on an HD one.

Hope this is here to stay and not just a test.

They must be using a different system for shows in the Entertainment section - the handful of 40-45 minute episodes available in HD are still taking forever to get going and file size is (minute for minute) twice the size of the movies.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Anytime+ HD movies available a lot quicker?

I guess it really depends more on your connection that the Sky Servers.

I would guess that you get the all clear to start viewing the content when enough has been downloaded and it is showing that you won't have to wait for more to download once you have started to watch it.

Perhaps previously something else was busy on your connection?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I guess it really depends more on your connection that the Sky Servers.

I would guess that you get the all clear to start viewing the content when enough has been downloaded and it is showing that you won't have to wait for more to download once you have started to watch it.

Perhaps previously something else was busy on your connection?
      Nope, been doing this for many months - ever since HD movies atarted appearing back in the spring. I always check nothing else is occupying the router. There must have been a tweak.

Checked again today - everything is starting in under a minute. Never had anything like that before. Of course now it starts with only about a 1 minute buffer since my connection is not much faster than the rate the movies play at with the size of a movie file around 2gb per hour stored.

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As has been confirmed today Sky have recently switched on an upgraded core network with nearly triple capacity along with exchange backhaul upgrades so be that with this now in place it cam pull it from the servers faster as seem to remember hearing that anytime plus only uses 70% of connection speed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to uno For This Useful Post:

Restorer (02-12-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uno View Post
      As has been confirmed today Sky have recently switched on an upgraded core network with nearly triple capacity along with exchange backhaul upgrades so be that with this now in place it cam pull it from the servers faster as seem to remember hearing that anytime plus only uses 70% of connection speed
      Ah, well that might explain things - especially for people like me who are right on the tipping point for download speed/buffering.

Maybe also they are confident now to let folk whose speed is only a tad greater than "play" speed to start watching with a much smaller buffer?

PS just checked the router and Anytime+ is now pretty much maxing out my connection. Happy days - now all they need to do is get the HD TV shows sorted out - they've only had 12 months now to get moving on this . It really irritates me that Virgin customers are able to access HD versions on their Sky Anytime+ service but we are not .

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      ...It really irritates me that Virgin customers are able to access HD versions on their Sky Anytime+ service but we are not .
      Why? Sky has 59 HD channels available to watch now.

This is considerably more than Virgin.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Why? Sky has 59 HD channels available to watch now.

This is considerably more than Virgin.
      I'm talking about Anytime+! We have about 5 HD episodes in total. The Sky Anytime+ service recently being offered to Virgin customers has dozens. And that's apart from all those series they have on their own VOD.

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think most people know Sky have a lot more HD channels but its things like Sky 1 the Cafe and Trollied only SD on anytime but Virgin have full series in HD also that Gatwick programme and Showboaters. The HD films are now starting to appear, it is such a shame at present the BBC and Sky can't come to an agreement for BBC I player it seems to dispute who pays for peering and external bandwidth costs along with Sky having more say than BBC want

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      All pros and cons with life I'm afraid. It would be great if everything was equal but it's not. VM has a better network for vod and so sky can give them a better anytime+ service than sky sat subs. Wouldn't make me go to VM tho.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      All pros and cons with life I'm afraid. It would be great if everything was equal but it's not. VM has a better network for vod and so sky can give them a better anytime+ service than sky sat subs. Wouldn't make me go to VM tho.
      Hardly an excuse when they now have all the movies set up nicely.

Without doubt they are dragging their feet on the non-Movie sections but I cannot figure out why that should be, There were actually a couple of documentaries in HD a couple of months ago but even they have been removed now.

Could it maybe be connected to the way non-movies are encoded? I have noticed that the few entertainment shows there are take up almost twice as much storage space per minute of play time as the films do. A 90 minute film clocks in at around 3gb while a 45 minute TV show is not much smaller. I thought it might be connected to the letterboxing of films but the full height ones are the same.