Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+

This is a discussion on For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+ within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I am a Sky broadband subscriber but prefer my non Sky supplied Netgear router (which it appears is allowed to ...

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+

I am a Sky broadband subscriber but prefer my non Sky supplied Netgear router (which it appears is allowed to be plugged in under Skys T&C's - I got that from the horses mouth).

Anyway for some reason (and I know some have got this to work) the router won't activate Anytime+. So what I did was plug in the original Sky router which allowed Anytime+ activation then swapped it for my non Sky Netgear router and hey presto Anytime+ keeps working. You get a fail message under the networs settings for service but Anytime + is ok.

Now the downside. Ever so often, weeks or even months Anytime+ reverts back to just Anytime. All you do is plug the SKy router back in and Anytime+ reactivates. OK so this is a bit of a pain in the ****.

I'd love to know why it drops Anytime+ ever so often. Have Sky got some sophisticated monitoring? I've spoofed the mac address of their supplied router onto my Netgear one so would love to know what they check.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+

I think it is probably a port problem, but I don't see how plugging in your Sky router, then the Netgear can make any difference. When you disconnect the Sky router and plug in the Netgear you are resyncing with the exchange and resetting the DHCP, so how it can 'remember' the Sky router setting is a bit hard to understand.

Have you got UPnP enabled on your Netgear?

Try giving the Sky box a fixed address and put it into the DMZ of your Netgear, this should overcome any port problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think it is probably a port problem, but I don't see how plugging in your Sky router, then the Netgear can make any difference. When you disconnect the Sky router and plug in the Netgear you are resyncing with the exchange and resetting the DHCP, so how it can 'remember' the Sky router setting is a bit hard to understand.

Have you got UPnP enabled on your Netgear?

Try giving the Sky box a fixed address and put it into the DMZ of your Netgear, this should overcome any port problem.
      I know it doesn't make sense to me either (and for info I'm an IT manager looking after over 9,000 networked PC's so I know a bit about computing, honest lol)

My Sky box had a fixed IP (I do that to all my home devices like Sky, Xbox and blu ray). Tried putting it in the DMZ as well as disabling UPnP (it was on) but no joy.

Plug the orginal Sky router in and bobs yer uncle. Take it out and reconnect the netgear and it still works. Daft really.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Which DNS Servers have you set on the Netgear router?

I am using a Netgear DGND3700 and have previously used a DGN2000, both had not problems.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Which DNS Servers have you set on the Netgear router?

I am using a Netgear DGND3700 and have previously used a DGN2000, both had not problems.
      It's set to 'Get Automatically from ISP'. I do notice that the IP addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 are greyed out which are OpenDNS. But this option is not set.

The router status page shows it ha spicked up 90.207.238.97 and 90.207.238.99 as its DNS

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Phooey! There are few more options I can think of to check:

Do you leave your Internet on all the time?

Personally I don't set a fixed IP address for my Sky STB.

If you go through the menu system, do you get any 'fails' on the network connection page?

I've lost were it is at the moment, but I'm sure that you could find it if you searched, but there is a thread where someone posted the ports that you need to open or prioritise for Anytime+. Personally this isn't something that I have need to do with my own router. The thread is on this forum though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Phooey! There are few more options I can think of to check:

Do you leave your Internet on all the time?

Personally I don't set a fixed IP address for my Sky STB.

If you go through the menu system, do you get any 'fails' on the network connection page?

I've lost were it is at the moment, but I'm sure that you could find it if you searched, but there is a thread where someone posted the ports that you need to open or prioritise for Anytime+. Personally this isn't something that I have need to do with my own router. The thread is on this forum though.
      Yes the router is on all the time

When you have the Sky router attachd you don't get anf fails but with the netgear attached (and Anytime+ working) you get a fail on the 'service' (I think its service). local network is fine.

I'll check out the ports. Got a few open for the Xbox that's all.

Thanks

here is is something I have just found after a Google search:--

If you’re a Sky HD subscriber and you also take broadband through Sky then you may well be aware of their Anytime+ service. It’s their VOD service offering a choice of viewing on-demand – you pick what you want from the red button menu and, after a few seconds streaming, it’s available to watch through your Planner, just like any other recording. It works through the LAN port on the back of the HD box – taking an IP stream straight off the internet.

Assuming you’ve met Sky’s eligibility criteria and have enabled Anytime+ within the box’s Settings menu then if you’re using Sky’s router your HD box should pickup an available IP address on your LAN and start downloading just fine, but what if you’re using a non-Sky router or have added additional firewalling to your network?

I’m running a number of additional network devices and firewalls between my Sky box and the internet so Anytime+ refused to work – the box would pickup an IP address off the LAN correctly but wouldn’t connect to the Anytime+ service. UPNP was no help as there were a number of network devices between the HD box and the router. A bit of packet sniffing later and I’ve discovered that allowing UDP port 3700 through the firewall to the Sky box is all you need to get things working.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Didn't you try that already in this thread ? -
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-a...tml#post318936

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Didn't you try that already in this thread ? -
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-a...tml#post318936
      Maybe so. I've tried so many things I'm beginning to lose track. Can't remember what ports I opened up back then although think I did try all the ports that were mentioned in that thread which included 3700 UDP

Thing is Scubbie has had other models of the netgear working without any issues so there should be no reason the DGN1000 doesn't work 'straight out of the box' should there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast