Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+

This is a discussion on For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+ within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by heyho here is is something I have just found after a Google search:-- If you’re a Sky ...

jptynan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: For those wanting to use a non SKy router with Anytime+

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
      here is is something I have just found after a Google search:--

If you’re a Sky HD subscriber and you also take broadband through Sky then you may well be aware of their Anytime+ service. It’s their VOD service offering a choice of viewing on-demand – you pick what you want from the red button menu and, after a few seconds streaming, it’s available to watch through your Planner, just like any other recording. It works through the LAN port on the back of the HD box – taking an IP stream straight off the internet.

Assuming you’ve met Sky’s eligibility criteria and have enabled Anytime+ within the box’s Settings menu then if you’re using Sky’s router your HD box should pickup an available IP address on your LAN and start downloading just fine, but what if you’re using a non-Sky router or have added additional firewalling to your network?

I’m running a number of additional network devices and firewalls between my Sky box and the internet so Anytime+ refused to work – the box would pickup an IP address off the LAN correctly but wouldn’t connect to the Anytime+ service. UPNP was no help as there were a number of network devices between the HD box and the router. A bit of packet sniffing later and I’ve discovered that allowing UDP port 3700 through the firewall to the Sky box is all you need to get things working.
      Hi there, Im new to all this and cant get my HD+ box to connect to Anytime either. i have the same model router as you. How do I allow UPD port 3700 through the firewall to the Skybox please? What are the steps I need to take?

Thanks so much

JP

2. Advertisement
      heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jptynan View Post
      Hi there, Im new to all this and cant get my HD+ box to connect to Anytime either. i have the same model router as you. How do I allow UPD port 3700 through the firewall to the Skybox please? What are the steps I need to take?

Thanks so much

JP
      Open up your routers management page in a browser (normally accessed via 192.168.0.1)
      Go into LAN setup and reseve the address of your Sky box then you will need to set this fixed IP address for your Sky box.
      Go into Services - Add custom service - give it a name i.e. Anytime 3700, type UDP and have your start and finish ports as 3700
      Apply that
      Go to firewall rules - Add - pick the service you have just created above - put in the IP address that you have fixed for the Sky router
      Apply
      That's it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heyho For This Useful Post:

jptynan (15-09-11)

jptynan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Im going to try that tonight when I am home from work and let you know how I got on.

Thanks for your help.

JP

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I am scratching my head a little hear (no hair issues!).

Have you checked that you have installed the latest firmware on the router?

Please visit the Netgear website and check that you have the latest version.

Netgear Support Home Page

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jptynan (15-09-11)

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am scratching my head a little hear (no hair issues!).

Have you checked that you have installed the latest firmware on the router?

Please visit the Netgear website and check that you have the latest version.

Netgear Support Home Page
      My old primary school headmasters favourite joke was 'don't scratch yer head you'll get splinters'. Nearly 40 years later and I haven't forgotten that.

Like you I'm a bit perplexed by why this doesn't work. might have to put it down to one of those annoying 'never gets answered IT problems.

Oh and I'm on the latest firmware version.

If I can get my hands on another non Sky supplier router some time it would be interesting to see what that does.

The only obvious difference in the Sky and non Sky is that I have my IP range at 192.168.1.x and the Sky router is straight out of the box at 192.168.0.x. The Sky box has a fixed IP and the router is also set up for DHCP.

Not at home to check it but I also think the DHCP bit on the Sky box might change form on to off as well depending on which router I use.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

My old primary school headmasters favourite joke was 'don't scratch yer head you'll get splinters'. Nearly 40 years later and I haven't forgotten that.
      Long finger nails in my case could make it worse I guess.

Like you I'm a bit perplexed by why this doesn't work. might have to put it down to one of those annoying 'never gets answered IT problems.

Oh and I'm on the latest firmware version.
      I hope that it is resolved.

If I can get my hands on another non Sky supplier router some time it would be interesting to see what that does.
      Borrowing one from a friend may help. It only needs to be an ADSL2+ compatible router.

The only obvious difference in the Sky and non Sky is that I have my IP range at 192.168.1.x and the Sky router is straight out of the box at 192.168.0.x. The Sky box has a fixed IP and the router is also set up for DHCP.
      It shouldn't be. Several members, including myself, have moved away from the default IP address range on their home network.

Some have reported that it have confused some Sky support staff and they've insisted that it was undone. I would put this down to their lack of knowledge, rather than any requirement.

Not at home to check it but I also think the DHCP bit on the Sky box might change form on to off as well depending on which router I use.
      As previously mentioned, mine is set to automatically pick up the details from the router. This is the only major difference I can think of.

I've actually plugged the Sky STB into a Switch, that in turn connects to the router. In the same Switch I have connected my TV, Home Theatre & desktop PC.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12