Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multi Room costs

This is a discussion on Multi Room costs within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi guys We currently have two Sky+ boxes in our household, both with full package. What sort of costs am ...

ukminkister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01624
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Multi Room costs

Hi guys

We currently have two Sky+ boxes in our household, both with full package. What sort of costs am i looking at if i want a 3rd one. I have heard that I can use a 2nd hand box instead of shelling our hundreds on a brand new one. Also would I need a phone line connection (the 3rd box would be in a bedroom in which there are no phone lines).

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Multi Room costs

You can get a second hand box. Even new ones will be cheaper from third party sellers in comparison to Sky. You will require a phone line connection to your third Sky box. If your LNB needs to be updated to add room for the third subscription then the Sky engineer will run a wire to your bedroom from the nearest socket. Alternatively you could consider Wireless telephone line extenders:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS-PHONEJACK-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000NJQHL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309888410&sr=8-1]RTX Wireless Phone Jack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Multi Room costs

You should enquire from Sky what the cost would be of adding a 2nd multi room box. As you already have 2 +boxes connected, the points in your LNB will be used up, this means you will need a new octo LNB. You can fit this yourself or have it fitted, but the cost may be lower with Sky. Sky also do a standard HD box with no + features especially for multi room which would be cheaper than the full + box. It may be cheaper to get this fitted, then buy a second user HD+ box to replace it if you want the recording functions..

Alternately if you do not have an HD box, you may get one free or discounted. One of your + boxes could then be used as your 3rd box. It is worth speaking to Sky and doing the math before you decide what to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.