Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ethernet cable from ps3 to sky anytime+

This is a discussion on ethernet cable from ps3 to sky anytime+ within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Im not to fused about the money, its just im a bit hesitant with already buying the DTEC things which ...

MaxJack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: ethernet cable from ps3 to sky anytime+

Im not to fused about the money, its just im a bit hesitant with already buying the DTEC things which I was told would work on my old box, maybe I had a faulty pair?

I just like things simple and easy... Dont see why Sky didnt make the new boxes wireless in the first place, I mean everything has wireless built in now a days. More money i guess selling the connectors.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you want to try connecting with your laptop and I will say it is not avery handy method, you can try the following.
      Connect an ethernet cable between the STB and your laptop. Go into the Network Adapter settings page of your router, how depends on your OS. Right click the Wireless adapter and select Properties. Open the Advanced tab at the top and tick, Allow other users to access the Internet. Use the dropdown box to select your ethernet adapter.

One problem you may run into is an address conflict as MS use the 192.168.0.1 address to enable the connection. To overcome this you would have to change the IP address of your router. Changing the routers address from 0.1 to 0.254 and changing the range to 0.1 to 0.253, should do this.

When you have done that, put the STB into Standby for a minute then switch on again.

As I said it is not really recommended, it is fiddly and can be a proper pig to get working. You would be far better off with Homeplugs, they are far faster and more stable than wireless..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jimmpam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01904
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In reference to the first post, has anyone managed to use the wireless in a PS3 to connect the STB to the router and hence avoid paying SKY (or anyone else) for a dongle?
      Just joined up and had no idea you had to pay extra to make Anytime + work if you arent able to get your router close enough to the box. (I have no intention of running ethernet cables through the house) I've tried connecting the ethernet cable between the PS3 and box, but the box still doesnt seem to want to see the network so its clearly not as simple as that!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Have you considered a pair of HomePlugs instead?

These have dropped significantly in recent months and a pair that supports 200mb (100mb bi-directional) can be bought for around 35.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I don't think the PS3 can be put into a bridging mode which you would need to use it to connect the Sky box. The cheapest wireless way is to use a Vonet wifi bridge - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11.../dp/B0050AI804 If you read its reviews you will see that it is confirmed to work with Anytime+. How well it works will depend on the fabric of your house and the distance from the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jimbo174 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CHRISTCHURCH, DORSET
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Scubbie please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a Cat 5 and a shielded Cat 6 ethernet cable. Presumably the Cat 6 is better but why is this. Thanks.

Thanks

The only way Cat 6 cable is better than Cat 5e is that it is certified to work with a gigabit network. Some Cat5e will also work with gigabit speeds, but is not certified to do so. Shielded cable is only effective in preventing EMI when the shielding is grounded. This seldom is done in home networks.

TomD

Useful Utilites

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jimbo174 (29-04-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Cat 5 is supposed to work at up to 100mb
      Cat 5e is supposed to work at up to 1Gbit
      Cat 6 is supposed to work at up to 10Gbit

All are specified to support the speeds at a distance of 100m provided that there are no sharp bends in the cable.

From what Dave at run-IT-direct has mentioned, there is a large amount of fake cable about that claims to be Cat 5e standard. Typically this is the really cheap cable and includes multi-stranded cable.

As Tom mentioned, the shielded variety is to prevent or reduce that amount of noise that can leak from Ethernet cable. It can also reduce the amount of noise that it can pick up.

From what another member posted, Cat 6 requires special equipment to make. Cat 5 & Cat 5e can be made at home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jimbo174 (29-04-12)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12