Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any chance of BBC iPlayer on Sky+HD?

This is a discussion on Any chance of BBC iPlayer on Sky+HD? within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Are you thinking of the YouView set top box? As all the players have signed up for that. What I ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Any chance of BBC iPlayer on Sky+HD?

Are you thinking of the YouView set top box? As all the players have signed up for that.

What I was commenting on that as Sky has locked down their HD boxes to only allow Anytime+ to work with Sky BB that no matter what they did if they had an iPlayer application they possibly could come under fire from somebody depending on how they applied it.

Also the Sky STB firmware only has limited memory on the chip and it may not be able to get a lot more features into the box.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Are you thinking of the YouView set top box? As all the players have signed up for that.
      That's the one . Thank you Adrian.

IMHO there should be no technical reason why Sky could not incorporate this into the Sky STBs (other than your comment below of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      What I was commenting on that as Sky has locked down their HD boxes to only allow Anytime+ to work with Sky BB that no matter what they did if they had an iPlayer application they possibly could come under fire from somebody depending on how they applied it.

Also the Sky STB firmware only has limited memory on the chip and it may not be able to get a lot more features into the box.
      Not knowing the specs for the STBs, I would suspect that this could well be an issue.

I know with my Samsung TV there is a small library of applications, but there is a limit to how many you can install. This information is made available. My usage is at about 2/3rds of the available memory.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If there isn't enough spare flash memory, then they could still reallocate some storage space on the box's hard drive to store the iplayer application, and load it into ram to execute when required.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The sticking point has to do with how Sky have proposed to offer the iPlayer.

They have the software ready of course and are keen to have it on offer asap. But the BBC Trust has said it needs to have the iPlayer interface looking much the same no matter what platform it is on - which of course it wouldn't if part of A+.

The Trust announced a few months ago that it would not consider Sky's bespoke version as a special case, which in turn got the BBC a rap on the knuckles from Ofcom.

The Trust's consultation ended in March but don't expect to see a report much before the end of the year - ho hum. As usual in these disputes it is us the viewers who suffer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12