Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly.

This is a discussion on Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly. within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I hope you can help with this. We just changed over to Sky Broadband yesterday already having been a Sky ...

Redav41 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly.

I hope you can help with this.

We just changed over to Sky Broadband yesterday already having been a Sky TV customer for a number of years.

Now my plan is to get the Anytime+ by using my old TalkTalk router (which is a Huawei Echolife HG520b) as a bridge between the Sky HD box and the Sky router. In effect instead of buying the dedicated Sky wireless bridge for 60 I am going to use the old router instead.

Now fortuantely Talktalk do not lock their routers so that you can only use it with their ISP as I have already used this particular router with Utilities Warehouse ISP - configuring it myself to work. The router also has a bridge mode so I figured that by resetting it and then switching it to bridge mode it should do the job.

So I have plugged the "bridge" into the Skybox using the network ports and I have 3 of the 5 lights solid (Power, LAN and Wireless) - The ADSL light blinks and the Internet light does not come on.

I went into the SkyHD Network Settings and hit reset to detect the network. It did give it an IP address of 192.168.1.2 but Service said Fail.

I went onto the website and registered Sky Anytime+ and left it for the night. I checked this morning but I am still getting the ordinary Anytime and Service saying Fail.

I know this should work, but I'm wondering if I have to set up the IP address manually - but I would also like to know if my box will automatically download the Anytime+ onto my box even if I don't have Sky Broadband and I will have to wait.

I even did a manual update to see if that worked.

So in essence to my questions?

1, When will I see the Anytime+ on my box?
      2, What settings (if any) do I have to change to get my bridge to work?

Cheers in advance of any feedback

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly.

When using a 2nd router acting as a switch you will need to do the following.

Assign an IP address to the TT router to be in the same IP range as the Sky router

Turn Off DCHP on the TT router. DCHP is a router assigning IP addresses to network devices so you only need to have that on at the sky router.

Although the TT router acts as bridge I don't know if the Sky routers do. I know the older ones had that feature turned off.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers - it's ok I am an I.T. technician so I understand about IP addresses and DHCP - I just need a gentle push in the right direction.

Right so it has to be done manually from the "bridge then.

Thanks.

Will let you know outcome

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, I'll try that.

I have a feeling it's because I need to give the bridge a static IP address.

My other question still remains unknown though - The Anytime+ does it appear on every Sky HD box whether you have Sky Broadband or not? Or does it appear once you've registered it and connected it up?

We only have the ordinary Anytime on our box at the moment.

Cheers in advance again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redav41 View Post
      Thanks, I'll try that.

I have a feeling it's because I need to give the bridge a static IP address.
      No problem. I would recommend a static IP address. In the document which I composed I suggest using 192.168.0.250 as a starting point. This is because it is clear & out of the way of the numbers which are allocated automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Redav41 View Post
      My other question still remains unknown though - The Anytime+ does it appear on every Sky HD box whether you have Sky Broadband or not? Or does it appear once you've registered it and connected it up?

We only have the ordinary Anytime on our box at the moment.
      In order to receive Anytime+ you must be connected to either Sky BB Lite or Sky BB Unlimited. The service should spark to life when the STB is connected to your LAN.

If the Sky+ HD STB is connected directly to your bridged router, connect this in turn directly to the green port (the one next to the ADSL connector) on the Sky router. This can be either directly via a long Ethernet cable or by using a pair of HomePlugs. This port is set to prioritise the type of traffic produced by the Sky STB.

Since you have more than one Sky+ HD STB, I would also be tempted to call Sky and ask them to enable each individual STB. The automated process doesn't always enable two or more boxes for Anytime+.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right I have done everything you asked.

I have set the TalkTalk router to 192.168.0.250

I have turned off DHCP (Although this router has a lot of settings and there is something called DHCP Option Pool - I have left this alone but it is also asking for DHCP Relay which I have left enabled - as logic says the TalkTalk router will act as a relay between the Sky Router and the Sky box.)

For the time being I have unencrypted the Wireless (on both routers) and turned off my firewall.

Now at the moment I have connected the two routers together so I can get to both Configuration Pages.

I can ping the Talktalk Router from the configuration page of the Sky Router with the cable attached, but not wirelessly.

I think if I can ping it wirelessly I should be just about there. But as I said there are lot of settings.

On the wireless settings alone there are the following

Channel and Rate both set to Auto
      SSID index is SSID1 (do I need to bind this?)
      Ap Isolation (not enabled)

My wireless is showing up on my talktalk router as working but I am just not getting a connection.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Both are routers and are expecting other devices to attach to them.

There are devices that are WiFi extenders which seek out the main router and also allow other devices to attach to them. This link below is for Netgear's range, there are others:

Wireless Range Extenders, Access Points, Unmanaged Switches

Whilst I appreciate that many are asking for the wireless connection between the two routers, I don't know the specific firmware on your TalkTalk router, but most don't support router-to-router WiFi link.

What I would suggest is that you link the two either by a long Ethernet cable or use a pair of HomePlugs.

Additionally what is suggested in several places is to set the SSID & encryption settings to the same on both routers. This would provide a seamless link when moving around, but isn't something which I have tried as yet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice - not having much success as yet.

I still think this is posssible - the Huawei router can be used as a bridge according to the official site. But I'm wondering if instead of a bridge I can use it as a relay.

All I need to do is get a wireless signal from the Sky Router to the Huawei one and the network cable will do the rest. But I can't get them to talk wirelessly.

I am going to try and put the Huawei one back into PPPOE mode and turn on the DHCP relay. The routers both have the same subnet 255.255.255.0 and and I have set the IP address of the Huawei to 192.168.0.250 with the Sky router being 192.168.0.1

I will let you know if this works.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I can't think of anyone who has succeeded in what you are trying to do, but if you turn on the DHCP in both devices you will get IP conflicts. The only way this might work is if you set the Sky routers range to say 192.168.0.2-149 give the Huawei an address of 192.168.0.150 and a range of 192.168.0.151-254. That way the 2 routers would not be giving out the same addresses.

The alternative would be to leave things much as you have them except put the Huawei's address, 192.168.0.250, into the DMZ of the Sky router and change its IP range to 192.168.1.1 to 254. This should work, but I have only ever tried it using an ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port of a cable/standard router. It might not work properly using an ethernet port on the Huawei.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast