Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly.

This is a discussion on Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly. within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Isitme. Cheers thats the kind of info I am looking for. I'll try tye DMZ thing. It's ok I know ...

Redav41 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bridging the Sky Router wirelessly.

Isitme.

Cheers thats the kind of info I am looking for. I'll try tye DMZ thing.

It's ok I know that turning DHCP on on both routers is a conflict. I intend to turn only the DHCP relay on on the Huawei. That way it should only transfer the DHCP from the Sky router. Or I may just go with Static IP's.

Like I said the Huawei router is pretty extensive with its settings. I would like to exhaust all possiblities to get this running. I'm fine if it doesn't I'll either buy the Sky wireless adapter or the Homeplugs. But if I can get it working it's another thing for your users to do instead of forking out another 60. I hate all this "locked settings" routers that the likes of O2 have. I have a perfectly good O2 Netgear router but it is absolutely useless as it's settings are locked to O2 and cannot be edited. I may try to flash the firmware on this as well as I have a blu-ray player upstairs which I would like to connect to my home network.

I am pretty good with networks (I recently set up a wireless network in a school where I work, and we used netgear routers as access points - I know it works as once I plugged in a laptop to the wireless router and was able to download the drivers as my wireless drivers on the Laptop had corrupted. As long as I gave the laptop a static IP there were no problems - even if the network itself was run on DHCP) - but this router problem is driving me crazy as I feel I am so close to getting it done.

I will let you know the outcome.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok it didn't work - I'm going the Homeplug way.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I'm going the Homeplug way.
      Good choice, you can get wireless ethernet bridges cheaper, but HP is faster and more stable.
      [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WBP54G-EU-Wireless-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B000GCFMXW]Wireless G Ethernet Bridge: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Redav41,

To find out if you have the Anytime+ subscription added to your account I would suggest that you connect your Sky+ HD box to your Sky router by means of an ethernet cable. If the Anytime+ signal is being sent then you will notice a change in the layout of programs., if not then I would recommend you contact us If you are still having issues connecting wirelessly then you can purchase the Sky Wireless Bridge from ourselves.

Thanks,
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Exchange:
      Thanks

Homeplugs will arrive today.

I've already tested out if the Anytime+ works, by moving the router near the TV and using an ethernet cable. No problems at all. Router is back by the PC now. I was able to get the 200mb/s for little more than the 85mb/s so that was good.

One thing I am a little dissapointed with though - is that all the TV content is in SD - not only that, I can't now access the Anytime on the HD box with the Network connected. Most of this content is in HD which is great. So do I have to turn off the Homeplug every time I want to view this content - or will it now stop downloading to my box altogether now I've subscribed to Anytime+

I think Sky need to sort this out otherwise it's not that great as it stands.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Nice to hear that you are happy and everything is working well.

With regards to Anytime, it is there and it is accessible.

Sky have renamed it 'Showcase'.

As for the content, this has been heavily criticised already, but Sky do now have some items which are HD available. These are mostly some SBO films, which you will be charged for downloading, and some movies, for which you will need both movie packs to be able to download.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers Scubbie -

I thought the Showcase option was also downloadable programmes - right - so we can still access that. That's great.

I was kind of perplexed as to why the Anytime side of it would be unavailable and everything you then downloaded would be put into your planner taking up space. It seemed to be a waste of the Anytime half of the disc. Thanks for clearing that up.

I will post later when I have set up my Homeplugs to give my verdict on the setup, ease of use and efficiency.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Homeplugs arrived

And on first look it looks like I can do more than just network my Sky box.

I think I may be able to stream video from my PC or bluray player to my Living room TV.

Going to enjoy finding out the possibilities.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

This is the whole idea of them. They are not just limited to connecting a Sky STB, but any two LAN devices on a 100Mb LAN.

I have a 5-Port switch connected by a single Ethernet cable to my Sky router. The switch feeds my TV & Sky STB. Instead of the single cable, I could very easily use a pair of HomePlugs, but it is close enough in my lounge for me to use the Ethernet cable.

The HomePlugs feed to my bedroom instead.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12