Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another multiroom/anytime+ Question

This is a discussion on Another multiroom/anytime+ Question within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I currently have the following set up - Sky+ downstairs (old white box) and 2 multirooms upstairs I would like ...

mofinn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Another multiroom/anytime+ Question

I currently have the following set up - Sky+ downstairs (old white box) and 2 multirooms upstairs

I would like to have sky anytime+ in the one of the rooms with multiroom which has an original old sky box

reading the posts I believe I would have to buy a sky+ black box (don't have HD) plus the wireless box to connect to my router which is downstairs and then I could receive anytime+ in the bedroom. Is this correct ?

I also have a spare sky+HD box that belonged to my son , would it be possible to replace the old sky box in the bedroom with that and just buy the wireless box - is it easy or possible to pair the spare box ?

OK newbie question now - if I replace the old pace sky box with a sky+(HD) box could it be used like a normal sky+ box - I.E. pause , save , FF with all the menu options . I know I couldn't watch one channel and record another at the same time as I only have one signal line coming in but would the other options work.

hope this makes sense

Cheers

Mo

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Another multiroom/anytime+ Question

Hello Mo,

This is all possible, but you will need to consider the following and think about making some other changes before completing the change over:

• Each Sky+ (Sky+ or Sky+ HD) STB requires two feeds from the LNB on the Satellite dish if you wish to watch & record two different channels.
      • It is likely that you have a 4-Port LNB on your dish. This will need to be changed to a 6-Port or 8-Port LNB. I don't think 6-port LNBs are available, but a new 8-Port LNB will set you back around 15-30.
      • You will also need to fit an additional length of coax to run from the dish to each multi-room location to supply the extra feed. A twin coax lead will make this tidier, but is not essential.

Once you have done all the above, it is just a simple matter of plugging in each STB where you want it, inserting the viewing cards and calling Sky to pair the viewing cards with each STB.

Whilst on the phone, ensure that the Sky+ functions and Anytime+ functions are enabled for the appropriate boxes. Each of these are free.

If you wish to add HD to either of the Sky+ HD STBs, then this is an additional 10.25 for each STB you wish to enable.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mofinn (06-05-11)

mofinn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wow thanks for detailed reply , I didnt realise you get extra lines in on top of the 4 I already have . Thats one to look at for the future . Initially I will be happy to swap the HD box for the old pace box and receive anytime+ in the bedroom and be able to use the hard drive to save programs

again thanks

Mo

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I'm looking forward to the day where sky provide a "home media" style system. Which pipes the satellite feed to one box in the house and you can feed Sky TV or Anytime+ to any TV around the house via ethernet.

Pipe dream ... of course!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mofinn View Post
      Wow thanks for detailed reply , I didnt realise you get extra lines in on top of the 4 I already have . Thats one to look at for the future . Initially I will be happy to swap the HD box for the old pace box and receive anytime+ in the bedroom and be able to use the hard drive to save programs

again thanks
      No problem. A half-answer is as bad as a wrong answer.

If you do not wish to connect a 2nd feed to a Sky+ or Sky+ HD STB, then you will need to disable the 2nd input in the menu.

This will allow you to record & play content from the STB, but you will not be able to record a different channel to the one which is being watched.

If you have someone who is able to climb a ladder & widen the holes in the wall, to allow the satellite cable through, then adding a 2nd feed is actually quite easy. The harder part is changing the LNB to an 8-Port one, as it I expect you will have a 4-Port LNB which is full.

I done a similar thing for a friend last December. No change for the LNB was required, but we managed to change the single feed coax for a double feed, widen the hole in the wall and left a tidy connection, which she is happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwern View Post
      I'm looking forward to the day where sky provide a "home media" style system. Which pipes the satellite feed to one box in the house and you can feed Sky TV or Anytime+ to any TV around the house via ethernet.

Pipe dream ... of course!
      Perhaps not. If Sky decide to add DLNA features, then you could view the content on any supported devices attached to you LAN.

DLNA is supported under Windows 7. Earlier versions require some software to be installed. I would expect the MAC to have something available.

For those who have an Xbox, PS3, a suitable Home Theatre System or TV, they can already play with DLNA.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.