Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Anytime plus for non sky broadband customers

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime plus for non sky broadband customers within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; hello why do you have to have sky broadband to get anytime plus at the end of the day the ...

Azkeel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01789778919
      Broadband ISP: bt
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Anytime plus for non sky broadband customers

hello why do you have to have sky broadband to get anytime plus at the end of the day the broadband all comes from the same source bt so why specfic supplier as i live in an area where i cant get sky broadband and i have a full sky hd service

2. Advertisement
      ub8jayuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWUXB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime plus for non sky broadband customers

Quote Originally Posted by Azkeel View Post
      hello why do you have to have sky broadband to get anytime plus at the end of the day the broadband all comes from the same source bt so why specfic supplier as i live in an area where i cant get sky broadband and i have a full sky hd service
      Sky has its own Voice and Broadband network, nothing to with with BT unless your on Connect.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Sky are only allowed to stream it's content on it's own BB network as per Ofcom's rules.

The backbone from their servers to local telephone exchanges is it's own backbone network.

In the same respect, BT is only allowed to offer BT Vision to BT Internet customers.

Sky BB Connect is essentially a re-badged BT Wholesale product, which uses BT Wholesale's backbone.

Anytime+ is therefore only available on Sky BB Lite & Sky BB Unlimited as these are only available on Sky's equipment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azkeel View Post
      I have seen this on another forum somewhere, but it is wrong. The Sky Network does not use BT equipment, only the wires to the exchange. In the exchange it is plugged into Sky equipment, not BT's, it is completely separate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

shifty27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have seen this on another forum somewhere, but it is wrong. The Sky Network does not use BT equipment, only the wires to the exchange. In the exchange it is plugged into Sky equipment, not BT's, it is completely separate.
      This is true... That is what LLU usually means.

The broadband provider uses BT's cables but has their own equipment at the exchange allowing them to better troubleshoot and control their network.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Has Ofcom actually stated the Sky cannot offer VOD to non Sky customers, or did somebody at Sky make that up as an excuse?

It would be very odd for Ofcom to say that as they have ruled that the VOD market is in it's infancy and wasn't going to do anything to interfere with it at the moment until it stabalises especially as it has more and more players entering the market.

Anyways Sky has signed up to e a content provider with YouView which launches next year.

Nothing has been announced so it could be like the offerings that are already avaliable via the Xbox, it could be offering Anytime+ or something else completely different.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think Sky are basing there service on what other ISPs do who offer a similar service. You can't get BT Vision if you are not on BT. Likewise you can't get Virgin's Demand service if you don't have cable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The trouble is that BT Vision and Virgin have their own boxes which you need to be a customer with them to get.

Sky on the other hand do not have the same excuse they have 3.5 million customers with HD boxes. If they produced a VOD box which attached to the HD box and it was only avaliable to Sky customers then perhaps they could have got away with it.

As it is there is a vast majority of customers who will not be able to get a service that they are pushing hard to promote.

They announced the Sky BB only condition the week of launch, not a particulary smart move when they had tried to generate a ton of Buzz for months before.

Given that BT is now moving BT Vision to YouView by next year it will be just Sky and Virgin who will be operating by these conditions.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

PurpleDynamo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01297
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sky are only allowed to stream it's content on it's own BB network as per Ofcom's rules.

The backbone from their servers to local telephone exchanges is it's own backbone network.

In the same respect, BT is only allowed to offer BT Vision to BT Internet customers.

Sky BB Connect is essentially a re-badged BT Wholesale product, which uses BT Wholesale's backbone.

Anytime+ is therefore only available on Sky BB Lite & Sky BB Unlimited as these are only available on Sky's equipment.
      If this is the case, surely Sky Player should only work on Sky Broadband and
      would it not imply that a company like LoveFilm should have it's own broadband service to stream films?

I think as someone else points out Sky are just trying to get new Sky Broadband customers by using this restriction.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

I have just spent about an hour trying to find the necessary document to support the statement that I made, but have not found it.

What I have found is that BT Vision is available to people who subscribe to the PO for their BB. This is a BT Wholesale product though.

I've also found various posts advising how to use non-BT routers on BT's BB to receive BT Vision.

If someone else could find a supporting document I'd be grateful.

I do recall that there was significant press coverage stating that Sky and Virgin objected to BT Vision being supplied over their BB networks as they feared it was anti-competitive.

The result was that they were also barred from streaming some of their content over BT's network.

IMHO I must admit that it is all getting rather silly. Virgin can offer VoD content, BBC iPlayer is responsible for a huge volume worldwide, every significant Terrestrial channel now appears to offer VoD content too, not just in the UK.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast