Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompson)

This is a discussion on Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompson) within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I received the offer this morning. After initial confusion as it seems the call center are mostly unaware of the ...

Kabacus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bootle LV
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompso

I received the offer this morning. After initial confusion as it seems the call center are mostly unaware of the offer Sky agreed to replace my old Pace Sky+ box (not HD) with a new HD+ box for free. So I can keep the Thomson HD box for the bedroom.
      I declined to take out an additional HD pack so will have to see if the engineer can pair the cards appropriately, failing that I may have to call Sky and get the HD sub transferred to the new box.

2. Advertisement
      geoffwba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompso

I too have received the letter from Sky offering me a new standard box for free or a 1 Terabyte box for 149. It would appear that the old Thomson box (which I have) is not upgradeable although when I sent an Email to Sky a few weeks back they said it would be upgraded eventually- are they telling us porkies?
      I have a lot of recordings on my Thomson box (which I fitted with a 1TB hard drive) and do not want to lose them so I guess the only way I can keep them is to
      transfer everything to my HD DVD recorder. I understand it is not possible because of sofware issues to transfer using Copy+. If I have understood correctly, I get to keep my old Thomson box?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If you had a 2nd Sky box, through a Multi-Room package, then you could move the Thomson box to that position.

The new STB is likely to have Darwin installed, so you would not be able to install the 1Tb drive in that box without loosing all your content.

As for transferring your Thomson's content to the HD DVD recorder, I am thinking that the issue isn't so much about reading the Thomson's drive, but the destination format of the HD DVD recorder & whether the content is Free-to-Air.

The alternative route would be to play the content & record it either on DVD or on to the HD in the HD DVD recorder.

Don't forget that the Thomson won't have Darwin, so you can always copy the Free-to-Air content onto a PC using Extract+. You can then watch this with some suitable software at your leasure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This isn't a new offer, in fact it has been running since last July, previous to that there was another offer but that no longer applies.
      The facts do not seem to support what you are saying. Previously some users, who have complained about not getting Anytime+ on their Thomson box, have been offered a replacement for a charge of 30. Which seemed a good deal at the time, but they may be kicking themselves now. They were never offered a 1Tb box at a 100 discount. The present offer, of a free replacement or an upgrade for 149, is going to Thomson owners who otherwise qualify for Anytime+, is very recent.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

scottcru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Letchworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you have to have an engineer come out to install the replacement box? can I just order the free upgrade and ask to self install? or will they want to take my old box away? there is no way I'm going to get through the hours of recordings before they come out to replace!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottcru View Post
      Do you have to have an engineer come out to install the replacement box? can I just order the free upgrade and ask to self install? or will they want to take my old box away? there is no way I'm going to get through the hours of recordings before they come out to replace!
      You can self-install, but once the card is paired to your new STB, you won't be able to watch the recorded content unless you have Multi-room.

If you have multi-room, then you could swap the Thomson with whatever is in the 2nd room.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Router: TP-Link Archer VR2800
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I've received the letter and am thinking of buying the new 1Tb box. Self install would not be a problem. However, I have quite a lot of unviewed recordings on my current box. Is there a way of transferring them to a new box? I do not want to take out a multi-room sub.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dflour69 View Post
      I've received the letter and am thinking of buying the new 1Tb box. Self install would not be a problem. However, I have quite a lot of unviewed recordings on my current box. Is there a way of transferring them to a new box? I do not want to take out a multi-room sub.
      You have a Pre-Darwin O/S installed on you Thomson STB. The new Amstrad will have Darwin installed.

Copy+ & Extract+ do not work on Darwin. (links on the left of this forum page)

You could use Extract+ copy Free-to-Air content so that you can watch it on a PC or Laptop later.

Unfortunately you will not be able to view any encrypted content (i.e. subscription channels).

The alternative method is to purchase a HD/DVD recorder and transfer the lot to it instead. You will have to do this before the Viewing Card is transferred to the new STB.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I've just seen this posting on the official Sky Help Centre forum:

News on Thomson Anytime +
      on 28-03-2011 02:39 PM

Hi, just to confirm that customers taking up this offer will have there Thomson Sky+HD box removed by the engineer when the new box is installed.
      Malcolm
      Sky Knowledge Advisor

That seems pretty clear. Sky WILL take away your property. It's your box but Sky WILL take it away. Pity because I'd have gone for the 149 offer (if they ever bother to send me notification - I've pre-registered, have Sky broadband and phone plus a Thomson box).

I've added the following to the thread:

"If they insist on charging me 149 for the 1 TB box then they can credit me with 149 for the box they take away. Otherwise 'no deal'."
      Last edited by dms05; 29-03-11 at 03:33 PM.

DRU2C is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley wood
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys. With reference to the comments from dms05; I also had not received the famous letter, so I contacted Sky regarding their swap / replacement box offer. Although I have a Thomson box, Sky broadband unlimited, Sky Talk unlimited and an HD contract I was told that the offer was not open to me because my Thomson box was too new (presumably this meant not one of the early units with all the well documented problems). However, I was offered a new TB box for 149 (self install) which I accepted. If you have the necessary pre-requisites (i.e. pre-registered, have sky broadband etc) and are happy to fork out the 150 quid then call Sky, explain that you know about the offer and ask if you can buy the TB unit at the reduced price. Finally, as this unit is being sent to me via Royal Mail and will be a self install I will certainly not be giving up my Thomson box.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast