Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompson)

This is a discussion on Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompson) within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; The standard box is free, you only pay if you want to upgrade to 1Tb. You have to have a ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompso

The standard box is free, you only pay if you want to upgrade to 1Tb. You have to have a Thomson box to qualify.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      hitenhirani is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale - LWCOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: Sky sent me a letter offering a free replacement hd box (currently have a thompso

Sorry isitme, when you say standard box, you do mean standard spec/capacity HD box?

Unfortunately I do have a Thompson box, although its not given me much trouble, so on the other hand, fortunately, I've been able to view HD programming from the very start of it being introduced!

ZeroHour is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitenhirani View Post
      Sorry isitme, when you say standard box, you do mean standard spec/capacity HD box?

Unfortunately I do have a Thompson box, although its not given me much trouble, so on the other hand, fortunately, I've been able to view HD programming from the very start of it being introduced!
      The standard hd box is free and it doesnt mention anything about a refurb which I would imagine they would have to inform you of.
      The larger 1TB is reduced from a normal of 249 to 149 with the letter if you would prefer that over the free standard hd box.
      Z

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroHour For This Useful Post:

hitenhirani (24-03-11)

Thanks

Yes, which I believe is now 250/250Gb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

hitenhirani (24-03-11)

Thanks

I would think this offer will only be made to those who qualify for Anytime+ by having Lite or Unlimited Sky Broadband. Another reason for Non Sky LLU broadband customers to be upset?.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I would think this offer will only be made to those who qualify for Anytime+ by having Lite or Unlimited Sky Broadband. Another reason for Non Sky LLU broadband customers to be upset?.
      Yes your correct, sorry I will edit my OP I just figured people would assume.
      If you are not on sky bb unlimited you cant get anytime+ anyway and the offer is to allow me to get anytime+ now.
      Z

Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: BT Fibre
      Router: BT Smarthub
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky letter offering a free replacement HDbox (currently have a thompso

Hi all. Have also received the letter. I would be grateful of some advice.

My Setup
      Downstairs. Thompson HD box with upgraded PSU (Satcure) & 1tb HDD.
      HD Movies, but no Sport, Music or Kids channels.
      Available network cable connection
      Upstairs. Multiroom SD box box with a single feed, but spare capacity on the LNB
      Sky BB Unlimited connecting at about 13Mb / 800Kb
      No telephone connection, Sky waived it as we withhold our caller ID & have Carrier Pre Selection (4+4 digit prefix which isn't possible).

My Questions

Can I replace the SD box with my old Thompson WITHOUT LOSING MY EXISTING RECORDINGS?
      Any advantage if I self install? Am able / capable of safely installing a second feed.
      Any extra monthly charges?

I can't call 0844 / 0871 numbers. They are blocked on our equipment (work related). How do I contact Sky.....
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Thanks

What you can do will depend on whether Sky are going to give you a free box without taking back the Thomson. The letter says 'replace' which suggests they may take the old box back.

If they allow you to keep the box, you would have to make sure that the card for your standard box is used to 'pair' the new box. If the card from the Thomson is used you will loose all your recordings.

Provided they allow it, self install is easy, but as you are getting install for free I think, why not take it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

nk1989 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The 1TB Box is a brand new Box for anyone concerned by the word "replace". This isn't a new offer, in fact it has been running since last July, previous to that there was another offer but that no longer applies. There is a chance many of you will be entitled to this and you have either not received the letter, or quite simply have forgotten you were sent 1. I would advise calling up and enquiring about it, I must stress though that if there has never been any correspondence sent regarding it on Sky's systems then there is no way to get a 1TB at a discounted price and you would need to pay 250 for 1.
      I got mojo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomvox View Post
      I got the letter today and phoned Sky when I got home from work. After much confusion (the sales person had no idea about the offer) she confirmed that I could have the 1TB box at the 149 price as a self install (i.e. I get to keep the Thompson box). Now that's what I call a result.
      How did you get that?
      I just ordered my 1TB tonight and checked online to find its an engineer callout.... what a waste of time and I would prefer to do it myself sooner rather then waiting and I thought I was clear to the guy but obviously not...
      Whats the eta on your box?
      Z

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast