Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Anytime+ Amstrad 780 problem thread...

This is a discussion on Anytime+ Amstrad 780 problem thread... within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; You have got to argue with them a bit to get a new box .... Started off by saying they ...

Katash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Anytime+ Amstrad 780 problem thread...

You have got to argue with them a bit to get a new box ....

Started off by saying they could give me a free engineer callout, the guy mentioned "you still have a free service callout on your account" which seems to suggest we all get 1 free callout permitted.

Then when I refused this on the grounds I'd get a refurbished box and I defiantly don't want one of those POS - Had them before and they are wank! .... I was then offered money off my bill for next 6 months, then a free wireless adaptor - both refused by me seemed quite shocked when I told him I already have the box connected by wireless.

Then came the offer of a new box at a cost of 30 - again refused by me on the grounds I wont pay anything in principle as the faults are all as a result of the software updates.

Then came the free, new box with free install offer - only drawback is I'm back on another 12 month contract but that is acceptable, I think I could have maybe pushed it and got that dropped.

At each stage he had to "go speak to a supervisor" - This probably means put me on hold for 30 seconds each time then offer something sweeter.

"Your a hard bargainer" he said ....

.... "I'm also a long term customer" I said.

Checked anytime less than 10 mins after the conversation ended and it had been added (also added to my portfolio on sky.com)

I'm pretty sure it will be an Amstrad 980 - these are smaller, faster and also have a 500Gb drive as opposed to the 780's 300Gb

He told me I can keep the 780 so it will be going on ebay Tuesday.

I strongly advise everyone else to do what I did, a post on the official sky forum seems to suggest there is another software update due at the end of the month and there is no guarantee this is the last one.

I just couldnt live with this sluggish POS any longer!

2. Advertisement
      andrewh13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: eaewd
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had a 68 minute 'discussion' with Sky on Wednesday. At first they couldnt help, then they said website offers a new free HD Anytime+ box, yeah right - for an existing HD customer? er maybe not. Then they said they may be writing to 780 customers with offer of a new box if they cant update 780.

I said I've heard it all before. I asked how long after I leave before, as a new customer, I can have a box that does what it says on the tin. To cut a very long story short, was finally made an offer of a new box if I paid a notional callout. Be a few weeks though as we are going away next week. Really shouldn't have to bargain this hard for a service that is advertised as available. Especially when new customers walk straight in with great offers. But at least I havn't got the bother of leaving.

canada16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewh13 View Post
      I had a 68 minute 'discussion' with Sky on Wednesday. At first they couldnt help, then they said website offers a new free HD Anytime+ box, yeah right - for an existing HD customer? er maybe not. Then they said they may be writing to 780 customers with offer of a new box if they cant update 780.

I said I've heard it all before. I asked how long after I leave before, as a new customer, I can have a box that does what it says on the tin. To cut a very long story short, was finally made an offer of a new box if I paid a notional callout. Be a few weeks though as we are going away next week. Really shouldn't have to bargain this hard for a service that is advertised as available. Especially when new customers walk straight in with great offers. But at least I havn't got the bother of leaving.
      They offered me a new box, or 20.00 a month off my bill for 6 months, took the 20.00, I would demand a new box, I advised them I pay 100.00 per month inc calls so thats 1200.00 a year, do they really want me to go to virgin, and they offered me this, the box was a self install though, I think, but I am getting sick and tierd of all the anytime+ ads and through the sky mags, they make out, everyone can have this, but they cant, and I am still waiting.
      But the 20.00 per month has helped.

nutter123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I'm having a bit of a exchange at the moment with the CEO office regarding this whole issue (and getting absolutely nowhere) they not even offering me a new box as long as I take a new 12 month contract up with them

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nutter123 View Post
      I'm having a bit of a exchange at the moment with the CEO office regarding this whole issue (and getting absolutely nowhere) they not even offering me a new box as long as I take a new 12 month contract up with them
      I understand your principles here, but do you intend to cancel Sky in the next 12 months?

Worse can scenario, you could always drop everything except the basic package. I believe this costs around 19.50 a month at the moment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I think, assuming I read it right, that nutter123 is saying that they're not even offering him a new box with a 12 month contract (ie, a worse offer than the free box with no ties). In effect he's not getting offered anything, just a fob-off.

nutter123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I think, assuming I read it right, that nutter123 is saying that they're not even offering him a new box with a 12 month contract (ie, a worse offer than the free box with no ties). In effect he's not getting offered anything, just a fob-off.
      That's pretty much it. Getting the software excuses crap (and all this advertising a service which quiet a few are unable to get) yet some people are being offered new boxes left right and centre?

Thanks

I just can't be bothered with the hassle. I spent months last year trying to sort out my broadband problems with Sky (which we eventually did), but it certainly put me off trying to argue the toss with them at all ... most of the time you just get fobbed off. The amount of times I got the impression they and BT didn't believe me when I said I had a problem was just silly.

And at the end of the day, Anytime+ doesn't actually sound that good. Yes they have a back catalogue of stuff for you to watch, but each programme is only available for a limited time ... its not like you could decide you fancy watching a specific series aired on Sky a couple of years ago, and it would be there. They select what programmes are available, and for how long ... just like a bigger Anytime really.

Or that's the impression I'm getting from the Sky website. Of course I've not actually accessed it yet, despite being told about it almost a year ago now I even bought the Homeplugs on the back of conversations with Sky people regarding Anytime+ last year.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

To be fair, Anytime+ is full of TV Series and films that have already appeared on Sky or affiliated channels.

Non of the content is so new that it has never been aired previously.

If you've missed the beginning of a series that is on Anytime+, then it can be nice to catch it from there.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

But isn't each programme only able to be accessed for a limited time, say, a month? Or is that a specific section of Anytime+?

For example, when I look at the following Sky page:

TV on demand - Sky VOD

next to each section is a bit that says what is showing "this month" or "this week", intimating that next month or week, it won't be there.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast