Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Use laptop as a Bridge?

This is a discussion on Use laptop as a Bridge? within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; So I have signed up to Anytime + and I thought i'd have a go at connecting it today. My ...

gill501 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSAYR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Use laptop as a Bridge?

So I have signed up to Anytime + and I thought i'd have a go at connecting it today. My situation is:

Sky Netgear Wireless router connected to master socket in hallway.
      Telephone extension runs from the hall into the living room where there is another socket. When we got the sky box in 2007 we had to run another extension cable from this so that the box was connected to the telephone line.

I moved the router today and plugged it in next to the Sky box, taking the telephone connection out of the sky box and plugging it into the router. I connected the yellow ethernet cable from the sky box to the green lan port on the router... it was then that my Sky box displayed a message that a broadband connection had been found! Great.... i thought! However on browsing the Anytime menu there was no differences, no extra content, no new preview pictures for programmes. Also my iphone and laptop lost internet connection, only local could be seen. I went to the Network settings in the Sky menu and DHCP is set to On which I believe is the correct setting but Local connection, service connection says FAIL and Ip is set to 0.0.0.0.

Now what I would like to try if it's possible is using my laptop as a bridge for the sky box to connect to Anytime +, kinda like the way we can connect Xbox to Live. Does anyone know if this is possible. Ultimately in the long term I may look at Homeplugs but would this be possible in the short term?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Use laptop as a Bridge?

This sounds like a very convoluted way of getting around the problem to me.

To be fair the Sky STB should plug into the Sky router without any problems. I suspect that something else is significantly wrong.

If you were to go back to the point in the settings where it mentioned your LAN address as 0.0.0.0, did you press the red button to reset the connection?

Have you tried using any of the other ports on the router?

Also, do you have any other network cables laying around? The yellow one may have a fault.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

gill501 (25-02-11)

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

yes i selected the red button to reset the settings and I tried another ethernet cable too. I was wondering if it was something to do with the router not being plugged into the master socket but instead being connected to one of the extension boxes. Would this cause the internet connection to drop altogether?

Thanks

There is a better long-term solution, but for the present we can identify the cause of your problems.

Have you changed any of the default settings on the router?

If you haven't, could you press the reset button for about 10 seconds, whilst it has power?

Also, is it possible for you to connect your laptop to the router via the cable & turn it's WiFi off? Then try to browse the Internet.

Again, try different LAN sockets on the router. Whilst one or two of the sockets might be prioritised for the Sky STB, all 4 will work.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The only way you will get this to work, if at all, is to set up Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop. This is how an Xbox can be connected through a PC. Problems you may run into are ICS uses 192.168.0.1 as its address, this would have to be changed as it conflicts with the router address. The other is that you may need a cross-over cable, but I am not sure about this.

What OS are you using?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I was under the impression that cross-over cables were required for 10Mb connections, not 100Mb.

I know that many shops sell them still for those who don't have the inclination to make one themselves.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

No, cross-over cables are required when connecting two like devices, like network cards in this case. I believe some have the ability to auto-negotiate, but I am not certain. Most modern routers can do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Most modern routers and switches don't need crossover cables. I'm wondering if the original poster has a filtered faceplate on the master socket ? If not, fitting one could improve the situation.

Thanks

Scubbie - I did do a reset on the router and it didn't make a difference, I must admit I haven't had a chance to try the other LAN ports on the router, I went with the one green one as that's what the sky video setup guide states.
      Isitme - Im sure I have a crossover cable but I have successfully managed to use a cat 5 cable to hook up the xbox through laptop creating a bridge and hoped the sky + hd would do the same.

Thanks

Oldnick - no filtered faceplate, just a really old master socket with an Adsl filter attached. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast