Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Use laptop as a Bridge?

This is a discussion on Use laptop as a Bridge? within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by gill501 I did do a reset on the router and it didn't make a difference, I must ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Use laptop as a Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by gill501 View Post
      I did do a reset on the router and it didn't make a difference, I must admit I haven't had a chance to try the other LAN ports on the router, I went with the one green one as that's what the sky video setup guide states.
      Whilst the port might be 'optimised' for the Sky STB, this does not mean it won't work in any of the others.

Looking at my own network & comments by other members, I suspect that if there is a lot of traffic on your network, then Anytime+ will suffer to some degree. If you have an Xbox on your network, then this will be causing a lot of traffic when you are playing on it.

Basically I think that whilst your solution might be working, it isn't setup for the optimum performance. I am assuming that your Laptop is sharing it's WiFi connection and the Xbox is using the LAN port on the Laptop.

For the Xbox to work, you currently need to have your Laptop connected. If you want to do anything that requires heavy processing on the Laptop, then this will conflict with the Xbox. Also, should you take the Laptop away for a weekend, then no one can play with the Xbox in your absence.

I would seriously consider getting someone to come and have a look at your Router & network arrangements. I am sure that something is set wrong somewhere and that you would benefit from having it tidied up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Use laptop as a Bridge?

Isitme - Im sure I have a crossover cable but I have successfully managed to use a cat 5 cable to hook up the xbox through laptop creating a bridge and hoped the sky + hd would do the same.
      As I said, some modern devices are able to auto- negotiate, so you probably will not need a cross over cable if the network card in the Sky box is capable. To avoid conflicts, turn off the ICS for your Xbox if it is still set up and un-bridge the adapters. Reboot then set it all up again for the Sky box in the same way as you did for the Xbox.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12