Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anytime + Best homeplugs advice

This is a discussion on Anytime + Best homeplugs advice within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi all, We just had a sky invite through the post about setting up this service. My existing broadband is ...

basalt2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: BT fibre
      Router: BT business hub 2701HGV
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Anytime + Best homeplugs advice

Hi all,
      We just had a sky invite through the post about setting up this service.
      My existing broadband is a pretty poor just over 2 mb using a sagem 204 router. I use ethernet for desktop and wifi for ipad and know the router is c!@p
      for wifi
      So I understand that the homeplug route is a good option.
      I need two I believe but is there a best make to consider.
      I guess there may be differing opinions but would appreciate some Experienced guidance Thanks.
      Stuart

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Anytime + Best homeplugs advice

You will mostly find people say 'I have brand X and it works great' on a forum like this.

Certainly you could try searching websites that offer reviews for a more independent report, but in fairness, I don't believe there is a huge difference between them.

A couple of points to look for though:

a. Some work at up to 85Mbps, others 100 or 200Mbps. If you copy between computers or play games between two or more computers, the faster speed will be beneficial. The '200' speed is actually the same as the 100

b. Some offer through connectors for power sockets. This is useful if you are short of sockets

c. With some, the 2nd adapter is a WiFi point. Useful for some, but I have only seen WiFi g on these to date.

d. There was a recall on some older PowerLine adapters. If you purchase through eBay, search the web first to ensure that the model you are buying isn't subject to this recall notice

Basically they are a 'Plug in & Work' item. Under most situations, you won't need to do much more than that.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Billion do a wireless N homeplug, but they are a bit expensive, it would be cheaper plugging a wireless N router into a standard homeplug.
      Billion P106N Wireless-N HomePlug AV 200 Ethernet Starter Kit (Includes 1 x BiPAC 2073N and 1 x BiPAC 2073 R2): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I use these

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

even though they are 85 mbps they are fine for gaming, streaming video, (I use them for streaming HD movies to my PS3 and Xbox360) and any other application I throw at them.

Word of warning if you are tempted to buy off eBay, a lot of Comtrend adaptors on there come from people who have BTVision. A whole load of them were recalled by Comtrend but it looks like the message really didn't get out so be very careful if buying what looks like a great deal.

Also Netgear XE103's were recalled years ago and yet they still appear on eBay as well.

As itsme said it's probably better to hook up a wireless N point rather have them built in.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Ok thanks guys.
      So - - forgive my ignorance here but is the link from isitme giving me the possibility of hooking the ethernet router to the regular homeplug which in turn links to the homeplug with the antenna which would then hook up to my skybox and also amplifi the wifi to my ipad?
      Sorry fo being dim
      Interestingly I was looking at the billion pass through plugs as an option.
      Stuart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by basalt2003 View Post
      ...forgive my ignorance here but is the link from isitme giving me the possibility of hooking the ethernet router to the regular homeplug which in turn links to the homeplug with the antenna which would then hook up to my skybox and also amplifi the wifi to my ipad?
      You are forgiven.

The simple answer is: Yes.

...but the Sky Box doesn't come with the WiFi abilities, so you will also need to purchase a WiFi Media Bridge.

The alternative would be to use an old WiFi Router, plug in the 2nd cable based HomePlug behind the Sky STB, plug the old router into that and plug the Sky STB into the old router.

Before connecting the old router in this way, you'll need to configure it a little different, search for '192.168.0.250' in this forum and you'll come across the threads with the instructions on what to do about that.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

to be honest I would not even bother with a wireless option.

The way that we store electricals, ie under the Telly in a big open fronted box is not a particulary attractive option when you start looking at wi-fi, so much of the signal gets blocked.

Before I got my homeplugs I used wireless on my xbox and it was frankly terrible.

The cheapest option for now it to have 1 adaptor connected into the router and the other one near your Sky box.

If you need more ethernet connectivity later on for the living room you can stick on a 5 or 8 port switch for a tenner leter on.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Thanks scubbie but my skybox (1tb Thomson) has an ethernet plug so would I not just take a cable from the antenna homeplug to the skbox as there appears to be a plug on it also.
      undecided - I am only interested in the wifi bit purley because of the possible boost for my ipad
      Again with the dimness
      Stuart

Thanks

No problem.

I had realised that iPad don't have a port for a Ethernet cable.

Obviously the positioning of the router can be important, but you get the idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast