Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky anytime + programmes

This is a discussion on Sky anytime + programmes within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi. Am I alone in thinking anytime+ is a total waste of time? Look at BTvision and Vrigin and you ...

chesterflaps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky anytime + programmes

Hi.

Am I alone in thinking anytime+ is a total waste of time? Look at BTvision and Vrigin and you get a massive back catalogue of tv programmes which you might want to watch, as well as BBC Iplayer. With Sky (the most expensive) you get a load of crap. Total rubbish.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Might move over to Virgin if Sky don't sort it out.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky anytime + programmes

It looks like your issue is with Sky and not Anytime+. A+ has well over 500 films available for download, together with hundreds of documentaries, hundreds of old TV programs , many as a full box set and a great many Sports fixtures. These are all free if you have the relevant pack.
      I don't know much about BTVision, but the take up of this service suggests it is not that great. As for BBC iPlayer, you don't need BTVision to get this, I get it through my TV. As for Virgin Cable, if you can get it and it suits your purpose, by all means move there, you will be overwhelmed by their HD content.
      The biggest criticism of A+ is that it does not offer HD at the moment. This may come in the future. Considering A+ is only a few months old, it is a terrific completely free service, if you can't find something to your taste there, you must have strange tastes..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chesterflaps View Post
      Am I alone in thinking anytime+ is a total waste of time?...
      It would appear this way, or at least in the minority.

BBC iPlayer has time constraints on anything that you download to watch. Virgin VoD is often charged for. BT Vision is basically a FreeView box, with subscription channels & VoD that is charged for.

Anytime+ is available FOC to those who have Sky BB on their LLU (i.e. not Sky Connect). The content is free to view if you have already purchased a package that includes the channel that the material was broadcast on. Once downloaded, there is not time limit to when you must view it or loose it.

Sky doesn't yet have the right to push BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5 or S4C through Anytime+. This is down to license agreements.

It is hoped that they will allow people on Sky Connect and other ISPs to view Anytime+, but this is not currently the case.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

chesterflaps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like your issue is with Sky and not Anytime+. A+ has well over 500 films available for download, together with hundreds of documentaries, hundreds of old TV programs , many as a full box set and a great many Sports fixtures. These are all free if you have the relevant pack.
      I don't know much about BTVision, but the take up of this service suggests it is not that great. As for BBC iPlayer, you don't need BTVision to get this, I get it through my TV. As for Virgin Cable, if you can get it and it suits your purpose, by all means move there, you will be overwhelmed by their HD content.
      The biggest criticism of A+ is that it does not offer HD at the moment. This may come in the future. Considering A+ is only a few months old, it is a terrific completely free service, if you can't find something to your taste there, you must have strange tastes..
      I still fail to see that it's good.

I looked last night and would lover to know where these "100's of old tv programmes, many as full box sets" are.

Also I tried to watch a 12 minute programme last night and it took about ten minutes to download 26% of it and it wouldn't let me start streaming.

Where's the comedy section? Where's the "not a load of crap that nobody wants to watch" section, oh hang on there's loads of those sections.

VoD also has the tv catchup facility which I used to get for free. I just think with Sky being the biggest provider they should be providing the best on demand service and I cannot understand why you would think it's good. It's second or even third rate.

Yes I understand it's free etc but so are many services from other providers. And why should you be charged for it anyway. If they hold a lisence for it then we should be able to watch it for free. It comes through your internet connection which you pay for anyway.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

At the moment A+, is very limited if like me you only subscribe to the single variety pack.
      Maybe its still in its roll out phase, I look forward to more box sets, like Caprica, Startgate SG1,House etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Also I tried to watch a 12 minute programme last night and it took about ten minutes to download 26% of it and it wouldn't let me start streaming.
      That is probably down to a poor broadband connection, I can download a 1012Mb file in 25-30 minutes, usually available to view in 1-2 minutes. Maybe you should post in the Help section for assistance with your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.