Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Anytime+ is EVERYTHING counted as net usage

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime+ is EVERYTHING counted as net usage within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi. I had sky+ hd installed last week. I can currently use sky anytime (not anaytime+) I am awaiting my ...

nicko1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Sky Anytime+ is EVERYTHING counted as net usage

Hi. I had sky+ hd installed last week. I can currently use sky anytime (not anaytime+) I am awaiting my braodband router and telephone line activation.

Once that is sorted I should be ready to activate sky anytime+. But I am only going to be on the sky broadband everyday lite package as I am already paying a lot for the tv package. I am not a massive net user and never download much so thers no way I am going to the 7.50 a month unlimited package. What I am confused about is, with anytime+ does 'EVERYTHING' count towards your net usage or just things that you have to 'DOWNLOAD'. For example, there are things which have the play button on anytime+ that I can watch instantly and things thathave to download. I will never download anything from anytime+ as it will quickly take up my whole months net usage. But I can't work out whether just watching programmes on anytime+ that dont require the download will still count towards net usage (basically will they be streaming?)

If so, I may as well not even bother connecting my box to my router to upgrade to sky anytime+ as the current sky anytime works fine without using the internet. Or can you still receive standard anytime when you have connected your box to the router?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Sky Anytime+ is EVERYTHING counted as net usage

Sky Anytime+ is an additional service that is currently free. You don't have to have it.

If you do connect your Sky+ HD to your router, it will eat into your usage allowance when you download any films or TV series, just as anything else you do on the Internet will.

Personally I'd suggest considering the Unlimited package for the extra few pounds, it's worth it. I realise the money issue, so perhaps consider doing this in the future.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The Showcase section of Anytime+ is the ordinary Anytime which is downloaded by satellite. This is the programs you can watch immediately. Anything outside the Showcase has to be downloaded. As a rough guide, a 1 hour program will require a download of about 600Mb, so your 2Gb Lite allowance would not go far..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Question Re: Sky Anytime+ is EVERYTHING counted as net usage

Thanks for the replies. So just so I am clear, if I watch programmes that are on Sky anytime+ in the 'Showcase' section., I WONT be using any internet allowance?

Thanks

Thanks

Yes, it does not use the internet. Unless you have the box's network connected to the router and enabled, you will not even see the Anytime+ selections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks isitime, still a bit confused I'm afraid.

Are you saying I shouldnt even bother connecting my box to the router through the ethernet cable and just stick with normal anytime rather than connecting it all up to see whats in anytime+ but just watching content in the 'showcase' section?

Apologies for being dense on this.

Cheers

Thanks

If you want to see what is in Anytime+ you can connect the box to your router. If it has been properly enabled you will be able to browse the selections available. As soon as you disconnect the cable, either from the router or the HD box, the Anytime+ selection will disappear and you will be left with normal Anytime content.

There is a vast selection available, over 500 films, hundreds of documentaries and lots of other old TV programs. Apart from anything else, it is worthwhile taking Unlimited for this alone, provided you are subscribing to the relevant packs.

TomD

Useful Utilites