Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Anytime+ and other ISP's

This is a discussion on Anytime+ and other ISP's within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I rang Sky today to discuss moving from TT LLU to the Sky unlimited BB package (i am a Sky ...

Max_Headroom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Anytime+ and other ISP's

I rang Sky today to discuss moving from TT LLU to the Sky unlimited BB package (i am a Sky TV subscriber) and was informed it takes 14 days to swap over, I will not have phone or BB for the 14 days and i cannot keep my existing phone number, so i will be staying put.

Why does it take 14 days, the exchange obviously has both TT and Sky equipment why is it not the same as when moving to a LLU service which was on the day in my welcome pack with no break in service?

Has there been any news about anytime+ and other ISP's?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Anytime+ and other ISP's

Moving between LLU providers is a bit more complicated than moving from BT to an LLU provider, which depending on BTO can be almost seamless. With regards the phone number, it seems that once an LLU provider get their hands on your number it becomes their property. Many who have moved from Sky LLU have been told they can't take their number with them. TT may be the same.

When it comes down to it there does not seem to be any reason why a move between LLU providers should take any more than a couple of days, instead of a couple of weeks.

I have not seen or heard anything about Anytime+ being offered to Non-Sky broadband users. If it does happen, it looks like it will be some time in the future.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky is set to launch a video on demand service called Sky Anytime Plus later in the year, the broadcaster has confirmed to Pocket-lint.

The new service, which will be available to all Sky HD subscribers free of charge, will offer over 500 movies and a hundreds of hours of programmes through the company's Sky HD box and electronic programming guide (EPG) interface.

However, there is a catch, users will have to switch to the company's Sky Broadband service to benefit from the new service.

"We hope to offer support for other ISP's in the future, but at launch the service will only be available to Sky Broadband customers", Kathryn Downward, Sky's head of TV services told Pocket-lint as the company showed the system off on a regular (non Sky broadband) connection.

Sky is hoping the service, which will go up against Virgin Media's on demand offering will give it the edge in luring customers to the platform when it launches later this year.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...Erb_yg&cad=rja

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Headroom View Post
      Which is what Isitime was saying. Sky have not said when they will allow other ISPs access to the service so this "in the future" could be quite a while away.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I pay my Sky TV subscription and get anytime, I am being excluded from using the Anytime+ service not because I cannot get it (i have the Amstrad 890 and could get unlimited BB with my ISP) but because I want to stay with my existing ISP, for me changing from my current full LLU ISP to Sky means losing 14 days phone and BB and my phone number, this is hardly fair and I wonder how customers like myself stand legally.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

You can't get it because you have chosen not to meet the requirements for the service. The current A+ T&Cs clearly state it is for Sky broadband customers in a Sky network area, so I doubt you would get far on an unfair contract terms claim.

If you told Sky you wanted to receive Sky programming on a non-Sky receiver they would tell you to get lost. It's their service, so they have the right to decide who gets it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      You can't get it because you have chosen not to meet the requirements for the service. The current A+ T&Cs clearly state it is for Sky broadband customers in a Sky network area, so I doubt you would get far on an unfair contract terms claim.

I was already with another ISP when joined sky TV, i can use the anytime service but not the anytime plus service, I can get unlimited BB with my supplier so the argument about going over ISP's caps is irrelevant, I think they should supply the service to those customers with unlimited packages.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Is it irrelevant though? Your ISP will have based its decision to offer unlimited use on traffic patterns some time ago. If Sky Anytime+ users start regularly downloading 1-2 gigs of data, that will put pressure on their backend servers, which may require them to install more capacity to cope. The BBC had similar issues when iPlayer launched, with ISPs complaining that they were being asked to subsidise the service for free, and that uses much lower bandwidth than Anytime+.

There is a solution available, you're just not willing to take it. Have you contacted your ISP about it? Could they be the ones blocking the wider rollout? Are they talking to Sky?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is the poor users on Connect I feel sorry for. They are paying through the nose for an inferior broadband service and still cannot get Anytime+.

Sky are using A+ as a selling point for their broadband and why not? Do BT allow other ISPs to access its Vision service, I think not. They use it as an incentive to take BT broadband. Sky are only doing the same.

I just hope Sky make it clear to potential subscribers that Anytime+ is not available on Connect. I am pretty sure though, that some of the shady sellers they employ will not point this out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

but BT are throwing their lot in with YouView so even BT couldn't make BT vision pay and they are the market leaders with over 4 million broadband customers.

Sky and Virgin have tried to put a stranglehold on VOD systems by placing complaints with ofcom and they have been dismissed, ofcom rightly rules that the VOD market is so new they have no idea how the market will evolve.

Given that currently only BT, Sky and Virgin place tightly controlled ISP restrictions on their VOD product with many, many more providers out there being ISP independant people will go where they can get the content not move ISP's.

If BT can't make it pay after several years I can't see how Sky can, the overlap on LLU broadband customers with a HD box must be a relatively small percentage of total Sky customers and given that Sky is shutting down services that are seen to be making a loss, Sky Songs and UKOnline.

All I can see is that the TV part of the business is subsidisising Anytime plus to try and get more broadband customers in.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast