Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Anytime+ and other ISP's

This is a discussion on Anytime+ and other ISP's within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by nige1983 If sky opened up anytime plus to other ISP's could you imagine them allowing congestion on ...

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Anytime+ and other ISP's

Quote Originally Posted by nige1983 View Post
      If sky opened up anytime plus to other ISP's could you imagine them allowing congestion on their network due to people downloading anytime plus content. I don't think so. Anytime plus is a great service that sky have enabled for customers who have their broadband services. People could always move BB to get the enhanced anytime service. At the end of the day knowbody can grumble at paying 7.50 for Sky Unlimited.
      As I said in an earlier post, Anytime+ is a nice feature, but as an ex-Sky Broadband subscriber who has migrated to BE, Sky Anytime+ is not a big enough incentive to downgrade my broadband connection.

2. Advertisement
      Wayne S is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Culverhouse
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I understand that A+ may be used by Sky to attract more customers but I wonder if they have considered if they will lose some.

I have ALL the TV Sky has to offer but I left their BB as even their 20mb would only deliver 4.5mb to my door. Was looking forward to A+ and was accepted as a tester until I moved to 50mb Virgin.

I will NEVER leave my Virgin Broadband and am now considering moving TV over for TiVO and catch up TV.

C'est la vie

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
      ...I have ALL the TV Sky has to offer but I left their BB as even their 20mb would only deliver 4.5mb to my door. Was looking forward to A+ and was accepted as a tester until I moved to 50mb Virgin.
      This issue is the same for most BB customers, no matter who your ISP is.

Virgin have been cabling customers with descent speed on their BB service for many years now.

When the cables were first laid down, BB as we know it know wasn't in use. Many of the cables have been replaced now and customers can expect good speeds.

Whilst Sky has it's equipment to the telephone exchanges, in some case, they must still rely on good old copper & aluminium wires outside the exchange. This is what slows us all down.

FTTC will help with this issue, but the BT telephone network is huge. Virgin do not cover everywhere where they should. They also haven't taken up running cable to many remote areas. It would be nice if they did.

There are many cul-de-sacs who can't get Virgin, even though the cable runs past the end of their road.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Max_Headroom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
      I

I will NEVER leave my Virgin
      I am happy with my TalkTalk BB & phone service and will not be moving to Sky just to get Anytime plus.

planetf1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have sky hd (with anytime+ sw installed & hooked up to ethernet) and see anytime+ as a possible bonus, but I consciously made a decision to switch O2-> BT in order to get a FTTC connection. From 4/1 -> 34/8 was a huge leap forward

As it stands now I can easily stream HD content - indeed multiple streams (most home devices are on Gigabit or 100 Mbps ethernet too for local sharing). I have iplayer integrated into tv/bluray along with demand 4, and itv/4od on way.

All of this is in some respects diluting the value of sky+ so I'm bemused sky aren't opening it up to other ISPs yet. For me the broadband connection rules -- others must follow. Of course had sky offered FTTC I almost 100% would have gone with them, but they dont

Hoping it can be enabled soon..

Phil Smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01895
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here.

I recently sent an email to Sky enquiring about receiving Sky Anytime+ via another ISP and below is their reply, as is, word for word:

"Dear Mr Smith
      Thank you for your e-mail dated 28/02/11 regarding SKY anytime+, unfortunately anytime+ is a sky service and no other Broadband provider has access to this, if you put it in the context that Virgin on demand is for Virgin customers only, and BT Vision is for BT customers only, the same goes for Sky anytime, it is for Sky Broadband customers only, we are regulated by OFFCOM, and would not be able to broadcast Sky anytime+ on another providers network. So in that context we have no plans to Broadcast from any other provider than ourselves."

Interesting?

I am baffled by this, and my understanding of technology is fairly basic; but follow my train of thought:

If I were to have Sky Broadband, which requires a BT phone line, as Sky Anytime+ "is for Sky Broadband customers only" would Sky not then be broadcasting "Sky anytime+ on another providers (BT) network"?

As they mentioned OFFCOM(sic) I sent an enquiry to OFCOM for their advice, or if unable to help, at least a pointer in the right direction to clear this up.

My next point of contact might be an email to Sky's Chief Executive. What do you think of their response and my course of action?

By the way, I originally had TV, phone and Broadband with Sky, but Sky's Broadband performance was so diabolically poor, we decided to go with Virgin's 50Mb package and phone with BT. TV with Sky is too good to give up though for what Virgin had to offer. Undecided on how their new TiVo offering matches up though...

Phil

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If I were to have Sky Broadband, which requires a BT phone line, as Sky Anytime+ "is for Sky Broadband customers only" would Sky not then be broadcasting "Sky anytime+ on another providers (BT) network"?
      Not really. Anytime+ is only available on Sky's LLU broadband, ie, their own network. It is immaterial whether this is on a BT phone line, the broadband part is on Sky's own network. Those who are on Connect, which is BT's network do not get Anytime+. I still have BT as my phone rental provider but have Sky LLU Broadband and get Anytime+. Basically you must be on Sky's Lite or Unlimited package to qualify.

I think you can write and complain to whoever you want, that is Sky's policy and there is no way they are going to change it in the near future. As the letter said, if you are with Sky broadband you can't get access to BT Vision or Virgin on Demand why should users of these broadband services get access to Sky's equivalent service?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I notice though that they miss out all the services that are ISP independant which are now in the vast majority and even BT Vision will be turning into you view which will also be ISP independant.

So soon it will just be Virgin and Sky being locked, not exactly the way the rest of the market is developing.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the 'players' have been missed out on purpose as the Sky player is also available to all, the same as BBC iPlayer 4oD etc..

Youview is a different sort of service and will require a dedicated STB, So it is not going to be open to all, unless you buy another box. It is more an expansion of Freeview so I expect future Freeview boxes will have built in network cards similar to the existing Sky HD box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smiffy71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Bt Broadband Option 3
      Thanks

This may be rubbish but i'll type it anyway.

My problem with Anytime+ is that I want it, but at the minute there is no way I can get it unless I move house, my telephone exchange is not Sky enabled. I was a Sky Broadband customer for around 4 weeks but found the service an absolute disgrace, download speeds were back to 56kbps standards and I couldn't have received Anytime + anyway, so I soon punted the service and went back to BT.

I can get BT Vision, I just choose not to, as Sky's TV service is far and away the best.

I can get Virgin TV but for the same reasons as above I choose not to.

I would happily change over to Sky Broadband and receive all the great broadband, telephone and Anythime + facilities but I cannot do it.

This is where I think Sky's statement about BT Vision is for BT customers, Virgin TV is for Virgin customers falls down.

I am making the assumption that everyone can receive BT and Virgin broadband simply on the fact that you can at my exchange. People are being denied a service because Sky have chosen not to update all the exchanges.

Does that make sense?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast