Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Anytime+ and other ISP's

This is a discussion on Anytime+ and other ISP's within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by SadBloke Is it irrelevant though? Your ISP will have based its decision to offer unlimited use on ...

Max_Headroom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Anytime+ and other ISP's

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      Is it irrelevant though? Your ISP will have based its decision to offer unlimited use on traffic patterns some time ago. If Sky Anytime+ users start regularly downloading 1-2 gigs of data, that will put pressure on their backend servers, which may require them to install more capacity to cope. The BBC had similar issues when iPlayer launched, with ISPs complaining that they were being asked to subsidise the service for free, and that uses much lower bandwidth than Anytime+.

Here is a different take on the same question i asked at the AVF forum -

It is even limited to Sky BB only if there is no such thing in your exchange.

So if you cannot get Sky BB but still need it to watch Anytime + it is very restricive indeed.

Hopefully, Sky will make it available via other ISPs in 2011 otherwise some top tier customers denied access are sure to get pretty tetchy about being denied access despite paying the same (or indeed in many cases more) than other Sky customers and having no way to get the requisite Sky BB.

For that reason I am assuming Sky will broaden the scope of access soon as it is very unlikely they are going to suddenly spend a fortune offering their BB in the many places they still do not cover.

And Sky will not want to alienate lots of customers over this.

So patience should prevail here, I trust.

There is a solution available, you're just not willing to take it. Have you contacted your ISP about it? Could they be the ones blocking the wider rollout? Are they talking to Sky?
      Sky have made no secret of the fact they will not be providing AT+ to customers of other ISP's for a while (if at all) I therefore doubt any ISP's are blocking the rollout.

2. Advertisement
      GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

I personally would say that it's actually a good idea for it only to be available when you have Sky BB - Think about it, we have had this service for 4 days now, and Mrs GSMGuy and the kids combined, have downloaded over 50gb of anytime+ stuff across our two 890-c boxes! Thats in additional to the 10gb or so I have downloaded on my laptop/PC.. Sky's unlimited BB is the only service without any limitations/cap etc, so if you were on another ISP, how long do you think it would be before they either started charging you huge amounts or simply terminated your contract??

PLUS, @ 7.50pm I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better value BB product..

Just my 2p... Only wish we could have all the A+ stuff in HD though..

Mike

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
      Sky's unlimited BB is the only service without any limitations/cap etc.....
      Umm.... not true, I'm afraid. BE Unlimited has no caps either, and (unlike Sky) it doesn't have nasty DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to mess up your speeds, either. You can also adjust your noise margins and interleave settings on some BE packages. My broadband on BE syncs about 3Mbps faster than it did on Sky.

Sky Anytime+ would be quite nice to have, but I wouldn't swap back ro Sky Broadband just to get it.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Again the unlimited argument doesn't really fly when you have services like Love Film which have unlimited downloads on some of their packages and yet everybody who uses their service doesn't seem to max out their connection.

I think the real reason has surfaced as for the last 2 months Sky LLU has had a massive slowdown in quite a few areas which seems to have coincided with the launch of Anytime plus.

I can only assume that if it went to ISP independant that Sky would slow to a grinding halt with the demands on their servers.

Given that this is just SD based stuff as well all I can assume is that unless they can get a lot more bandwidth then it will only be in SD for the forseeable future.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

It's really amazing that it comes to a surprise to Sky that 1000's of people (unwittingly) maxing out their broadband connections with their Sky+ box is going to slow down their network. Any computer-savvy 12-year old could have told them that !

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Again the unlimited argument doesn't really fly when you have services like Love Film which have unlimited downloads on some of their packages and yet everybody who uses their service doesn't seem to max out their connection.

I think the real reason has surfaced as for the last 2 months Sky LLU has had a massive slowdown in quite a few areas which seems to have coincided with the launch of Anytime plus.
      Not just that, there's also been a fairly large increase in people switching to Sky for their broadband which also isn't helping. There's been at least 10 round my way since the Anytime launch.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

what we have to rember regarding this is the current issues sky are experincing with bandwith in certain exchnages at the moment and the fact that anytime plus is probably causing part of the problem. If sky opened up anytime plus to other ISP's could you imagine them allowing congestion on their network due to people downloading anytime plus content. I don't think so. Anytime plus is a great service that sky have enabled for customers who have their broadband services. People could always move BB to get the enhanced anytime service. At the end of the day knowbody can grumble at paying 7.50 for Sky Unlimited.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Not everybody can get Sky LLU though.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

My guess would be to ensure that Anytime+ stays in the UK as well.

For those who are technically minded, it is possible to fool the other end of your connection (Sky Anytime+ service in this instance) to believe that you are in the UK, for example.

Knowing that many viewers reside in various EU countries outside the UK, i am sure that Sky would like to discourage their access to the content.

The main cause for complaint here though is with Ireland as Sky doesn't have their equipment in their telephone exchanges. I am sure that they are already upset at not having any opportunity to view the Anytime+ content.

Sky will also need to invest heavily in Sky Connect before expanding to other ISPs as well. I can see the headlines already...

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Not everybody can get Sky LLU though.
      Looking at the current subscriber numbers released today Sky LLU customers only make up just over 1/3 of the broadband customer base.

So it just shows how limited the coverage on the LLU product is.

It also explains why connect is so dire.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast