Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate

This is a discussion on How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Not sure, geezer466. My plan would be to find out which boxes support anytime+ and get the cheapest one (maybe ...

JFL
      JFL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate

Not sure, geezer466. My plan would be to find out which boxes support anytime+ and get the cheapest one (maybe off ebay again). I can verify my samsung one works fine. However before buying I'd check with sky to make sure they will be able to activate anytime+ for a box not bought from them--I don't expect this would be a problem but not certain. They might even be able to give you a list of compatible boxes as well. To be honest I find the anytime+ selection is mediocre at best -- it depends on your tastes of course, but it's mostly standard def stuff. The HD stuff as far as I can guess is the same HD stuff you get with normal sky anytime, i.e. beamed down via the dish. I think HD programmes via broadband is still too data-intensive for sky to be supporting yet, I guess since many customers won't have fast enough broadband for it to be working as a premium-type product, or maybe it's a data consumption issue. Having said this, note that I do not subscribe to any sky movies or sports channels (only espn), so cannot comment on the anytime+ programmes from those channels.

To follow-up on my previous post, we've decided to get the inactive phone jack activated rather than run an unsightly extension line along the walls. The sky engineer said we'd have to call BT to sort that out, even though we rent our phone line from sky, 'cause they're responsible for that sort of thing. But then the next working day sky called back to follow-up, and suggested it might be cheaper to get 'an independent' to do it, so guess I've got to look into that now. Don't want to get hosed by BT, wonder how much they charge for this kind of thing?
      Last edited by JFL; 31-05-11 at 06:18 PM.

2. Advertisement
      JFL
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I wonder why the box callbacks are such an issue. Sky say they will start charging us two separate subscriptions if the second box isn't properly connected for callbacks. I can see why they want to preserve their revenue in case people decide to move a box somewhere and use it, but then at least they can offer a proper service to put phone line extensions in hidden under the skirting board or within the walls or something, not just exposed and stapled to the wall. I'd expect most people don't have a phone jack next to every TV.

Also it would be great if they could get callbacks to work over broadband somehow, especially since now more people are connecting the box to the internet for anytime+ etc. The broadband is intrinsically linked to the phone line is it not, and even otherwise should be able to provide sufficient location info for a callback type thing. This would completely eliminate the need for a phone line connection, not to mention that interactive sky active stuff would probably be a whole lot faster. I asked their customer service about this recently but she had no clue of this option even having been considered yet. If it were possible, this would save me a whole lot of hassle and probably too right now. Probably it would save sky some of both too.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I notice from your details that you only have Sky BB Home Lite. You will very likely need to upgrade this if you are looking to download a lot of Anytime+ content.

With regards to any telephone sockets, you are responsible for any internal wiring. You could hire any suitable contractor of your choice. If the wiring is already in place and have an NTE5 socket, then it is actually quite simple.

If the actual wiring is faulty, then it may require a little extra work, but not really that technical. There are several pairs of wires in each cable. So long as you connect the same twisted pair wire to 2 & 5 at both ends, then the only tools you would need are a screw drive & and IDC tool.

Sky will enable any Sky+ HD STB that is able to support Anytime+ on an account where the owner has a LLU based Sky BB package (i.e. Home Lite & Unlimited).

Obviously the Thomsons don't meet this requirement and there is some debate over whether the Amstrad DRX780s will ever get the green light.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

JFL (31-05-11)

geezer466 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have an internet TV (in my bedroom) and connected to freeview usually but hooked up to the unlimited broadband. The BBC i player seems to offer a reasonable HD offering although of course it is not true HD simply an upscaled picture but a little better than a SD picture.

I was hoping it would be straightforward and simple to be able to do this but sadly not. TBH I cant be bothered to be jumping thru hoops to get another box and or ticking the right boxes for the call centres at sky to offer me one anyway.

If it wasn't for the fact that I live only 300 metres from the local exchange I would sack Sky tomorrow but my internet literally fly's along usually at 17mg+, but then again any other provider would route through the same exchange.

Typical sky to offer a two tier service as usual...... and doing anything to screw a few more quid out of their customers.

Is it me or does BBC1 HD look better through freeview HD than it does sky?

JFL
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I haven't used BBC iplayer so can't comment on that. As for your decision, I have to agree that it's probably not worth the effort/money for a new box just for anytime+. I certainly wouldn't have gone for it if there was extra expense involved, and now that I have it I can see that I wouldn't have missed out on much. Most of the stuff in my planner right now is stuff I've recorded, despite having browsed through what's available on anytime+. I wonder if there is a webpage for anytime+ that lists all their content or new and upcoming stuff that will go on it, if so that might be interesting.

What's an IDC tool? I might have a go at resolving the phone line issue myself based on what you've outlined Scubbie. I seem to recall seeing some guides involving phone cabling/wiring on this site as well in fact.

Thanks

An IDC tool is specifically designed to allow you to insert the wires into an IDC connector, such as is found on the telephone faceplate or filtered faceplate.

You can from on-line sites that supply faceplates (ADSL Nation & run-IT-direct both sell IDC tools) and also places like Maplin.

You can get a cheap disposable one or one that is a little more money, but will last longer.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

JFL (04-06-11)

powderpuff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The same menu will confirm if the 'Service Connection' is Ok.

I have activated Sky Anytime +, and it now appears in my portfolio. I have connected my router to the Sky Plus HD box with a ethernet cable. On the customise menu in services, it says that the LAN connection is on, but the service connection is FAIL, the IP address is there also.

Are you able to explain why the service connection is not live, and what steps do you suggest to put this right?

Thanks

You may need to give it a few hours. Try putting the STB in to Standby for a few minutes and when you've turned it on, give it a few more minutes before trying again.

I occasionally get the same error when my connection is busy, so don't panic too much.

powderpuff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Red face Re: How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate

Many thanks for your reply...I tried the customise screen again and this time the service WAS connected. Still no Anytime+ though, but I gather that this can take a while to activate, but at least now the system is ready to go!

Thanks

I does sometimes take Sky's systems a couple of days to process the update.

One suggestion which I've picked up in the past, and worth sharing, is for you to use the Interactive feature on your Sky+ STB and use it to check your account. You don't have to do anything more.

I believe that when you do this it will also check that all the necessary features which you are subscribed to have been enabled.

As this uses the telephone line, you will have to ensure that the STB is connected first.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast