Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate

This is a discussion on How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Scubbie I wonder if you can help me? I have the samsung box with all those things done -- connected ...

JFL
      JFL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate

Scubbie I wonder if you can help me?

I have the samsung box with all those things done -- connected to internet, IP address, service connection ok, anytime & broadband connection enabled, and on the sky website it says i have anytime+ enabled already...

...however it's not working in the anytime planner yet. It still tells me to go to the website and enable it. I have also just connected the box to a telephone line and forced a software update, though it looks like i had the latest version prior to this anyway.

Just having spoken to the sky customer service line, they tell me to keep it connected to the phone line and it will be enabled within 2-3 weeks or so (after originally having told me that I would need a new box)... needless to say I don't put much stock in what they say so I was just wondering if someone can clarify if this will happen, or knows what exactly is going on?

thanks

edit: the only thing is that I am currently on sky everyday broadband lite, but i understand that it will just automatically upgrade to unlimited when i go over the usage limit? This wouldn't prevent sky anytime+ from starting to work would it?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: How long for Sky Anytime Plus to activate

From what I have learnt on here, it might pay you to use the interactive service on the STB. This may be enough to prompt it to update and enable the Anytime+ service.

All you would need to do is to access your account using the STB.

Other than that, I'm sorry, but it is playing the waiting game.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

JFL
      Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks. I'm having some problem with the phone connection but I'll try that.

just to note, the HD box is the second box on a multiroom subscription (the primary is SD)... don't suppose that might have any effect?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfl981 View Post
      thanks. I'm having some problem with the phone connection but I'll try that.

just to note, the HD box is the second box on a multiroom subscription (the primary is SD)... don't suppose that might have any effect?
      With Multi-room, both STBs should always be connected, even after the initial 12 month contract period. Sky has been known to charge customers for the privilege if one or both are not connected to the telephone line.

You have hinted that you are having problems connecting your STB to the telephone line. There are many alternative solutions available if you are interested. For example Maplin does a telephone adaptor which works in a similar way to the HomePlugs, but if you already have these I think it might not work.

As for the issue over the Sky+ HD STB being the 2nd box, I haven't seen anyone else say that they have the same set up as yourself, but many with 2 Sky+ HD STBs have got Anytime+ on both.

I am thinking that you should first try that interactive test, then give Sky another call. Hopefully you will get someone who knows what they are doing.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

JFL (21-05-11)

JFL
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Have just spoken to sky again -- sounds like I got someone good this time. There was apparently an iT issue on their end which meant that although the request to activate anytime+ was put through, its status stalled on 'requested' for a week rather than switching to 'active' after 24 hours which I'm now advised is the norm.

They are going to put through an IT request to sort it -- might take 72 hours from monday since IT is closed until then. Meanwhile the lady I spoke to is calling me back tomorrow so we can sort out the phone line connection issues.

Even with both boxes connected to the line and showing 'phone line connected' in their menus, I was getting connection error messages when trying to connect to sky active. The primary box (SD) gave error message 107 and the secondary box (HD) gave error message 104. Hopefully this will get sorted when she calls me back tomorrow. I will have them both connected like I do now, which is with a long extension wire running down the hall...

...as that's not ideal, I'm drawn to your suggestion of the maplin homeplug-style phone extension adaptors. The only potential issue is the one you've alluded to, which is that I'm already running 2 connected powerline adaptors (comtrend 9020s, the BT things) to extend the broadband. (Kudos & thanks to Scubbie btw for the excellent guide on 'how to connect two routers together' which let me get that done quickly.)

The powerline adaptors are pass-through ones and I have a simple mains extension block plugged into the first, but a surge-protector plugged into the second. I'm going to look into the maplins ones you've suggested but I wonder if it might just be easier (and/or cheaper) to get an extension to the phone line run outside (or inside the walls of) the house to the second room done. Is this expensive? presumably I'd need to call an engineer to do it... although I wonder if it might just be as simple as putting a splitter in and running the cable outside the house... it's the making holes in the walls that I'd be tentative about I suppose...

Thanks

If you are not happy fitting a telephone extension yourself, by all means get someone in to do it for you.

I would never run and extension outside the confines of your home though. I don't know the weathering abilities of the plastic used with them. Also the suspicious part of me know that someone could easily tap into it.

As for the HomePlugs, the PowerLine 902s should be fine. I have 2 in use myself.

I haven't done it myself, but it should be possible to add a different make to the PowerLine 902's acceptance list. Others on this forum have reported success in the past with this.

JFL
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I guess you're right about the phone extension. With regard to the adaptors, I was actually referring to the ones that can extend the phone line to a different room rather than the ethernet network, as I already have two of the latter in operation -- the 9020s.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfl981 View Post
      Yes I guess you're right about the phone extension. With regard to the adaptors, I was actually referring to the ones that can extend the phone line to a different room rather than the ethernet network, as I already have two of the latter in operation -- the 9020s.
      Unfortunately because you are using the PowerLine Adapters (same with any HomePlugs) I believe the signals could clash and cause problems.

IMHO your safer option would be to fit a proper telephone extension.

Lots of shops sell cheap extension kits. Depending on your set up, you could always obtain a wall-mounted faceplate and run the main lead behind your wall.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

JFL (22-05-11)

JFL
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, I'll look into that.

With regard to sky, they called me back today to tell me that anytime+ should now be working, and it was. No explanation for the problems, but it's working now so that's good anyway. They also agreed to send an engineer round to check on the phone line issue, since both boxes are having problems doing callbacks despite being connected to the phone line. They're not going to charge despite me being beyond warranty period because apparently it's a problem that should have been addressed at the original install.

There is actually a phone jack near the second box that it was connected to, but I don't think that jack has ever been active and I'm not sure what it's connected to, i.e. if it's connected to the same line as our main phone line that comes into the room where the first box is. We'll see what they say, they are coming on Friday.

geezer466 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a SKY HD+ Thompson box which I purchased off EBay a couple of years ago.

I paired my existing viewing card with it at the time so sky are aware of the fact I have got it.

What is the most inexpensive way of me upgrading to a box that will can provide the anytime service?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast